Sat, Sep 21, 3:11 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:51 am)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: "SAVE THE FORUM" -Challenge Ideas/Participants...

Chcicken_Soup ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2000 at 7:13 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:10 PM

I figured that we could try to "Revive" the forum a bit so I'm starting this thread : Post your name if you would like to be challenged by other people, or post any Ideas for challenges that you would like to see come to life... Here's Mine: Name : Chicken_Soup My Idea : "My New Year's Resolution..."

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2000 at 8:21 AM

We need to update the Arena Players anyway - I'd say about one in five (or more) left during the big "dust up" a few months ago... You can list a challenge (that's not a bad idea), but the original thread also had us listing software apps we have and our relative level of mastery at each; i.e.: Name: Charles Brown/CharlieBrown Software: Poser 4 - Moderately skilled Bryce 4 - Beginner (maybe Advanced Beginner) PaintShopPro 6.something - Moderate HTML (several editing programs) - Moderate to Advanced Challenges? Sheesh. I'll post a few when I think of 'em - and have the hard drive space to work on 'em myself (I don't like issuing challenges that I couldn't do myself, unless it's targeted to someone specifically who I KNOW - or at least BELIEVE - can do it).

Chcicken_Soup ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2000 at 9:37 AM

OH, ok here's my Software Poser 4 - Bigginer to Moderate Bryce 4 - Bigginer to Moderate Carrara - Advanced Bigginer Rhino - Bigginer Photoshop 5 - Moderate to Advanced

GeorgeD ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2000 at 2:18 PM

Thanks guys. If we seem to get enough posts of who is interested. I'll get the Arena Players section cleared and redone. BTW...here's my info:O) Bryce 4 - Advanced Poser 4 - Advanced PhotoShop 5 - Advanced 3D Studio 4.0 (original DOS program) - Extremely Advanced Rhino 1.1 - Moderate/Advanced Organica - Moderate Other Stuff I use worth mentioning: Universe 1.62 Creature Creator Standalone ZBrush Paint Shop Pro 6.0 Doga2 GeorgeD

Xurge ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2000 at 6:16 PM

Here is my info. Poser 4 - Average PhotoShop 5.5 - Average Rhino 1.1 - Moderate UV Mapper - Average Bryce 4- Biginner Let's get this going. Sergio

Ironbear ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2000 at 8:27 AM

I'm not certain how much time i have to devote to actually working on challenges, but I'm all for getting this revitalized. Count me in... Here's my stats... Poser4 - Beginner [But I can do pretty well with morphs] Bryce4 - Advanced 3DStudioMax - Beginner Rhino - Beginner RayDream4 - Beginner Moderate to expert at a variety of other oddball 3d apps... Photoshop & Painter 5 - reasonably skilled I'm willing to work at projects, but as I stated - my time is always hard to come by. I always tend to have several projects going on at once...

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

RimRunner ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2000 at 2:40 PM

I like the idea of the Challenge area.. not sure if I'm up to snuff on this.. but count me in. My Stats.. Bryce4 : Beginner -> Mid Truespace 4 (5 soon) -> Beginner -> Mid. Photoshop 5.x -> beginner That's it.. very short list. ;)

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2000 at 2:50 PM

RimRunner, very few of us are "up to snuff;" the purpose of this forum is, essentially, to challenge us to either learn our tools better or to find new ways to use them... That's the point! :-)

mjshepherd ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2000 at 5:16 PM

OK, count me in - I wanna learn but have limited ideas for myself! Poser 3 - Beginner } Hoping to upgrade soon Bryce 3D - beginner } to Poser 4 & Bryce 4 Photoshop 5 - Still a baby. What's it used for? LOL (At least my work will give people an idea of just how brilliant they are!) Mike.

odp123 ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2000 at 9:50 PM

Attached Link: http://visualmind.org

bryce4 - advanced 3dstudior3 - moderate poser - moderate photoshop- moderate fireworks - advanced flash5 - advanced dhtml - moderate maya - begginer raydream - moderate truespace - begginer freehand - begginer painter3d - moderate ahoy ahoy, time is tight though champs thanks

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2000 at 9:52 PM

Okay .. Here is my stuff Bryce 4 - Advanced Poser 4 - Advanced PhotoShop 5 - Advanced Ray Dream Studio - Can do morphs S Painter - Beginner

liftan ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2000 at 2:23 AM

Hi ! Here's my stuff too: Bryce 1,2,3,4 - Advanced Poser 3 - Moderate Photoshop 5 - Beginner Raydream Studio - Beginner Painter - Moderate Detailer - Beginner Volumm 4D - Advanced Voxel 3D - Advanced TrueSpace -Beginner Rhino 3D - Absolute Beginner Canoma - Beginner Paint Shop Pro 7 - Some skills

black-canary ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2000 at 7:35 AM

Me, too! Poser 4 - Moderate to Advanced Photoshop 5.5 - Advanced Vue D'Esprit 3.1 - Moderate to Advanced Painter 6 - Beginner Rhino 1.1 - Raw recruit Bryce 4 - Gave up in frustration, occasional tinkering UV Mapper - Moderate to Advanced Strata 3d - Installed but haven't tried yet (it's free) Nendo - Beginner MaryCanary

RimRunner ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2000 at 12:36 PM

Only question I have now, is once our image is done, where would you like it posted ? gallery, here ? Mine isn't done yet, but hope to have a couple days over the weekend to take it from paper to screen. (yeah, concept is on paper for me. Helps me envision locations, etc.). Sorry if this post is mis-placed. :) - Rim

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2000 at 12:50 PM

Challenges should be posted either: 1) In its own thread here (best for works in progress) 2) To the Challenge Arena Gallery or 3) Both. If done correctly (i.e., you include a link to the gallery image) this is the best. If not (you upload twice) you may tick off the board admins... ;-) [The voice of experience... ;D]

Ironbear ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2000 at 6:09 PM

Posting an image twice - once in the gallery, and once in a thread in the forum - ticks off the board admins? Kewl... somehow that makes it all worth it. :)

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

GeorgeD ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2000 at 7:42 PM

Don't push your luck Ironbear:) GeorgeD

Ironbear ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2000 at 8:43 PM

What... me? snicker

• Monkeysmell

Ironbear ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2000 at 8:49 PM

Actually... that didn't make much sense in light of the WIP's and preview images posted in Bryce, Poser and other forums as well as in the gallery. That's why the sarcastic comment... I had never heard it stated anywhere that there was a policy or preference against that. Not that a wisecrack actaully HAS to have a reason, but that one did. You oughta know by now that I wouldn't go out of my way to annoy people...

• Monkeysmell

RimRunner ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2000 at 10:31 PM

laughs I didn't mean to get anyone in trouble there Ironbear. Since this is going to be my first challange.. and being an Admin as well, just thought it would be polite to ask before I fubar'ed it and got myself banned. :

Ironbear ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2000 at 11:14 PM

chuckle Don't sweat it RimRunner... if I don't take an offhand swipe at the PTB at least once a week, Tim and RC email me to ask if I'm under the weather. grin Unfortunately... right now it's all I can do to get through the backlog of scenes on my harddrive, actually taking on a new project like a challenge is starting to look like a distant hope. sigh Mebbe the next one... or, if I can get the entries for the contests I'm shooting for done, I may still be able to take a stab at this one. I am still enjoying seeing this forum revive, that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

• Monkeysmell

Chcicken_Soup ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2000 at 3:32 AM

I think we have enough entries to update the Challenge Arena Players list... don't you think George?

artzfuct ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2000 at 6:25 PM

Here is my info: Bryce 4 - advanced Poser 4 - advanced Photoshop 5.5 - advanced Amorphium 1 - beginner Painter 6 - moderate

voodooninjax ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2000 at 4:01 AM

Here's my info Photoshop 5.5 - Extremely Advanced Poser 4 - Moderate Bryce 4 - Beginner 3D Studio Max 3.1 - Beginner Character Studio 2.2 - Beginner Lightwave 6 - Moderate various lowscale 3d programs - moderate to advanced I have time constraints due to deadlines and family, but I would love to be a Player (playa?) Voodoo (Jason)

Eshal ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2000 at 6:41 AM

Name: Eshal Programs Used: Bryce4 - beginner to moderate but armed with the Real World Bryce4 hugely thick and weighty tome :) Poser4 - beginner to moderate Paintshop Pro 5 and 6 - beginner to moderate Painter Classic & 5.5 - beginner And a whole heap of demo and freebie programs that I either haven't got round to testing or they scared me silly when I saw the interfaces :)

I'm a genetically enhanced blonde...what's your excuse? ~Eshal~

crisodian ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2000 at 8:31 AM

Ok, I'm pretty new around here, but here are my stats: Name: Crisodian (Kristin) Programs: Poser 4: Beginner to Moderate trueSpace 4: Beginner to Moderate Paint Shop Pro 6/Photoshop 5.5: Advanced Fireworks 3: Advanced Dreamweaver/HTML: Advanced I've got a bunch of other "Web" related programming skills but I don't toot my own horn much nor do they really apply here, so I'll leave them off. :) You'll notice I have yet to aquire a cool landscape creation tool like Bryce. A thought for future challenges: What if we worked as teams on a challenge? Say someone who was really good at character modeling working with someone who was really good at, say, landscape design? Might be a good way for people to connect as well as to drum up some interest for those folks who feel (like I do ;) ) that our skills are lacking in one area but pretty strong in another. Might also be amusing if we flip-flopped that scenario - had the character modeler do the landscape and the landscape guru do the character. That way not only are we challenging ourselvs to better our skills, we have a resource to work with when we have questions. Just a thought. :)

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2000 at 9:17 AM

{What if we worked as teams on a challenge? Say someone who was really good at character modeling working with someone who was really good at, say, landscape design? } Not a bad idea - Challenge Teams for projects? How would we go about this, Admins? Have people create a Team Profile, or just have someone challenge two (or more) people to do an image, or should this be more of a "A challenges B to design a set, and B challenges C to populate it" kind of thing?

crisodian ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2000 at 9:44 AM

I don't know how this would all play out. I really hadn't worked out all the details. Maybe a challenge for several teams to design sets and populate them based on a theme? As an example maybe a christmas /winter scene: Everyone has the same basic theme with one team member responsible for the set design and one team member to populate it? I do like your suggestion of challenging a team to design a set (or scenario maybe - a themed set with some kind of background story) and then challenging another team to populate it. That could spawn some pretty amazing creations, don't you think? As far as team creation goes, the only suggestion I have is that if you commit to being part of a team that you have to do your part. :) Other than that, I don't know how the teams would form. Maybe we could post that we want to be part of the team competition and then get assigned to a team? I'm thinking of new forum members, like myself, who have yet to really meet the other members of the community. Then after a while let teams form on their own? Suggestions? I posted the thought here to kind of see where it would run. I thought it could prove to be a lot of fun! :) ~K.~

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2000 at 9:46 AM

Heh, maybe we should take this team thing to a new thread to discuss it more "publicly"? Since it WAS your idea, I'll let you create it if you're interested.

crisodian ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2000 at 9:50 AM

I posted here seeing it was the "Challenge Ideas" thread. :) laugh I'll post it out in the open and we'll see what happens! ~K.~

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.