Tue, Oct 22, 10:08 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 9:37 am)

Subject: When is Vicki's birthday, really?

melanie ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 9:21 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 7:49 AM

Okay, maybe someone can help me out here. DAZ is celebrating Vicki's birthday, which they say is December. However, I'm a little confused. I bought the very first Victoria back when she first appeared, but I bought her in March, as a birthday present for myself. I remember this, because at that time, I mentioned it right here in the forum, and Dan Farr saw my post and he e-mailed me a birthday greeting (at that time, I had no idea he was the president of DAZ, lol). I checked my original Vicki 1 file that I saved on a CD, and the date on the file Properties says 9/30/2000. Is that the date I saved it on the disk, or the date the Victoria file was created by DAZ? It's the oldest 3D archive disk I have. None of the dates seem to mesh, here. I do remember that the very first Michael (the one that looked like Dan Farr) came out in December of the same year that Vicki had earlier appeared. So, does anyone know if I'm just confused, or if DAZ is confusing Vicki's and Michael's original appearances? And what year did she actually come out, 2000 or 1999? My archive file says 2000. Does that sound right? It seems logical, since 2000 was considered the Millennium my many. When exactly did the Millennium figures begin? Melanie

stonemason ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 9:31 AM

what's the date on the .cr2?..or the .obj? how fast they grow eh :)

Cg Society Portfolio

melanie ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 9:40 AM

The .obj says 3/24/00. That sounds about when I bought it, because my birthday is 3/29, and I know I bought her for my birthday. I'm pretty sure I didn't wait three months to buy her. I was sure I bought her when she first appeared. Here's some trivia, the file is in a folder called Zygote People. The original Vicki and Mike were made by Zygote! That's taking us back a ways, eh? Melanie

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:05 AM

In a literal sense, Victoria is very much underage. How old is she, anyway? Five? Or V3? No more than two years old? She's certainly too young to be used in around 95% of the renders that she appears in........ I doubt that even Posette is old enough yet.......

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:29 AM

DAZ is celebrating Victoria 3's birthday, not the original Victoria's.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:34 AM

DAZ is celebrating Victoria 3's birthday, not the original Victoria's. True. That's why I made the distinction between the two in my post.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

melanie ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 7:54 PM

Okay. I wondered. Seems strange that they wouldn't just celebrate the history of Victoria, all the way back to the beginning of her existence. Thanks for clearing it up. I don't think I remember reading that distinction between versions at the DAZ site. Melanie

wheatpenny ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 8:44 PM
Site Admin

I have a dog named Vicky who was b orn on Christmas, so tomorrow is her birthday (and everyone thought nobody important was born on Christmas...)

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 9:58 PM

"(and everyone thought nobody important was born on Christmas...)" 1954 Annie Lennox (singer) 1949 Sissy (Mary) Spacek (actress) 1946 Jimmy Buffett (songwriter, singer) 1932 Little Richard (Penniman) (singer) 1924 Rod Serling (scriptwriter) 1918 Anwar el-Sadat (Egyptian president) 1907 Cab (Cabell) Calloway (bandleader, singer) 1899 Humphrey Bogart (actor) 1893 Robert Ripley (ripley's believe it or not) 1887 Conrad Hilton (hotel magnate) 1821 Clara Barton (nurse: founder of American Red Cross) 1642 Sir Isaac Newton (mathematician, apple fancier ...and 5 female cloned piglets: Noel, Angel, Star, Joy and Mary :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

melanie ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 7:17 AM

Wow, how did you find all that information? Did you google it? And interestingly enough, even Jesus Christ wasn't born on Christmas. He was born sometime in the spring. How we came to celebrate His birthday in December is a mystery. Some monk or someone back some centuries ago tampered with the calendar, and things got messed up, is what I've heard. Melanie

cooler ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 10:10 AM

howdy folks, as far as Vickis b'day goes I'll check my archives when I get back to my machine tonight. I have every DAZ/Zygote newsletter archived so I can fix the release dates of each incarnation pretty exactly :-) Melanie This synopsis is from the History Channel website which just ran a fairly thorough analysis of the Christmas holiday called "Pagan Claus" :-) "In the early years of Christianity, Easter was the main holiday; the birth of Jesus was not celebrated. In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival. First called the Feast of the Nativity, the custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century. By the end of the eighth century, the celebration of Christmas had spread all the way to Scandinavia. Today, in the Greek and Russian orthodox churches, Christmas is celebrated 13 days after the 25th, which is also referred to as the Epiphany or Three Kings Day. This is the day it is believed that the three wise men finally found Jesus in the manger. By holding Christmas at the same time as traditional winter solstice festivals, church leaders increased the chances that Christmas would be popularly embraced, but gave up the ability to dictate how it was celebrated. By the Middle Ages, Christianity had, for the most part, replaced pagan religion. On Christmas, believers attended church, then celebrated raucously in a drunken, carnival-like atmosphere similar to today's Mardi Gras. Each year, a beggar or student would be crowned the "lord of misrule" and eager celebrants played the part of his subjects. The poor would go to the houses of the rich and demand their best food and drink. If owners failed to comply, their visitors would most likely terrorize them with mischief. Christmas became the time of year when the upper classes could repay their real or imagined "debt" to society by entertaining less fortunate citizens."

melanie ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 4:39 PM

Thanks, Cooler, that's interesting. Last week in church, they had a little question and answer quiz and it was asked, "How many wise men were there at the first Christmas?" and of course, everyone said three. The answer was that the number is not mentioned in the Bible, just that three gifts (gold, incense, and myrrh) were brought, but no mention of how many wise men actually came. My the way, Merry Christmas, everyone! :) Melanie

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 5:00 PM
Site Admin

I remember a preacher about 25 years ago explaining that because the journey from Mesopotamia to palestine was quiter dangerous (and moreso because of the incredibly expensive gifts they were carrying), there would have been more like 20 (or more) of them, and they were probably armed to the teeth too. Also, if you read the Bible carefully you'll see that they arrived in Bethlehem when Jesus was about 2 years old.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2004 at 8:11 PM

Attached Link: http://www.famousbirthdays.net

The birthdays are from the site Famous Birthdays. I found out I was born, probably within hours of Christina Onassis. Now if the stork had just sorted his deliveries a little differently...

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.