Mon, Sep 9, 6:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Poser5 vs DAZ Studio

Jim564 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 11:00 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 6:44 AM

Hi-

I'm somwhat new to creating graphics. I've been using Bryce5 and I like it. I've tried to use DAZstudio to make and render characters, which I export to Bryce5 as .obj files.

This works well for me, BUT DAZstudio is a cranky beta and costs me a lot of time and produces a lot of failures or compromises.

My two main questions are:

1. can I do the work I am trying to do in DAZ studio in Poser5 and export it to Bryce5 as an .obj file or something compatible?

I am prepared to buy Poser5 if I had a better understanding of compatibility with other programs.

1. Can I use some of the stuff I have, for example Vitoria3?

Feel free to offer any other comments near this subject.
:-)

Thanks- Jim564

wheatpenny ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 11:10 AM
Site Admin

Yep, Poser 5 scenes can be exported as .obj or .3ds (as well as a few other formats)which can be easily imported into Bryce. I would suggest copying all the textures involved into the same folder where you put the .obj, though, to avoid having to load them manually when you bring it into Bryce. But I've never had any trouble importing Poser stuff into Bryce.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 11:58 AM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=2332&cat=46

I use P5 to compose the scene, then save it. Import into Daz Studio and then export it to obj, which then imports into Bryce :) A long way round but it works, as long as you have the Turbo Import thingy from DAZ (check out the attached link. I did this one with that methodology http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=752734&Start=37&Artist=Fugazi1968&ByArtist=Yes Hope that helps John.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

Jim564 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 12:18 PM

John- Thanks for the info. Could you go a little further? You used the word "scene." Just how much (which parts) of the "scene," did you compose in P5? And of course, just which parts did you do in Bryce? Thanks - Jim

Aeneas ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 12:23 PM

biomekk texture extractor is something very useful. You can find it here in the marketplace part of the readme: Texture Extractor 2 (Textract) by Biomekk, Copyright 2004 support@biomekk.com This program searches for and gathers texture files referenced in MTL (material definition), 3DS (3DStudio), and now in this version, almost any 3D file format out there. When importing OBJ files into a 3D program for rendering, that 3D program typically reads the MTL file associated with the OBJ. The MTL file includes information such as color, transparency, specularity, and texture information. It's with the texture information that the problem usually occurs. That problem being the MTL file only includes texture file names, not paths (locations). And chances are your 3D program has no idea where to look for the texture files. This is where Texture Extractor comes in. This utility can scour your computer in search of these files, and when it finds them, it copies them to the location of the MTL file (or any folder you tell it to), making it a breeze to get your Poser figures into almost any 3D software package out there. New in this version: - MTL Overhaul Utility to rebuild Poser exported MTL files from the Poser scene files. This ensures that everything that Poser leaves out (such as transparency maps) will be included. - Scan any file with a new "Brute Force" scanning method which allows you to open almost any 3D file format. - Enhanced Interface (seperate preview, tons of new options, etc...). - Enhanced preview (now supports tif, png, etc...). - Many more improvements and fixes.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 4:11 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=747837&Start=37&Artist=Fugazi1968&ByArtist=Yes

No problem Jim What I mean is that I made up the figure and all the props I wanted in Poser5, saved it as normal, then imported that into DAZ Studio In the one I left the link for, the figure, bikini, hair and gun were all done in poser, saved as a pz3. Then in DAZ Studio, I used file, import and selected the file I just saved. Then in Studio - File, Export, Obj for Bryce 5 and saved that into a new directory (just to keep things neat). Then in Bryce I imported the OBJ file. It works a treat :) Then I set up the water and rocks (which suck :) ) in Bryce and rendered it there. The link attached was done with the same workflow, the whales (3) the woman with hair, all done and textured in poser5, saved, imported into DS, exported and imported into Bryce, set up the lighting effects and rendered. Oh and I dont think you need Poser5 for that, P4 should work just as well. This link http://www.daz3d.com/support/tutorial/index.php?id=841 is a tute on the DAZ site showing most of the workflow, it just doesnt tell you you can import a pz3 file into studio. I have tried using studio for the whole composing thing but find it too fiddly. One note though, not all the things I have tried importing into studio ffom posr5 have worked, some of them dont comform properly, I;m afriad I just had to work round that by using things that worked :) I hope that helps :) John.

Jim564 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 9:52 PM

Wow. Thanks John for the orientation. I checked out the pic you made, and I would hope I could do that well at some future point. I can see that Poser5 could make my graphics life a bit easier. Aslo from what you said and others, I am beginning to see there isn't ONE program, bits are done in different progs and then brought together. I suppose, compromising a bit along the way. That's rather how I am operating, but I'm so new at it, I felt I was just missing some important steps/facts. I should also extend my thanks to Martian Manhunter and Aneas who have provided me with some excellent insights. Thank you All - Jim

wheatpenny ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 10:51 PM
Site Admin

That's what we're here for...

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2004 at 12:19 AM

Anytime Jim, always glad to help out.

Grey_Tower ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2004 at 8:00 AM

Attached Link: http://www.castironflamingo.com/tutorial/babel/index.html

Jim, you might want to have a look at BABEL from the Cast Iron Flamingo website. Babel is a **FREE** application that, not only generates a detailed report on all material assignments in a Poser scene file, it can also collect the texture, bump, and transparency maps and copy them single location.

While you're there, have a look at GROUPER also. You might find that useful as well.

Jim564 ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2004 at 9:22 AM

Hi Grey Tower Both of your software suggestions look like excellent tools to have. Group looks as if it could be very helpful. I would like to compliment all of you on the clarity of your responses. I'm impressed, I've been in some other forums from time to time, an animation forum particularly comes to mind. It was much different, the members had their heart in the right place, but they couldn't read, write, or communicate anything. :-) Thank you all again, this has been great. :-) I'm going to have to copy thess responses out and save them Jim

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.