Mon, Sep 23, 6:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: inadaquate disc space please tell me what this means

doc_jones ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 3:34 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 6:23 PM

i worked a project in poser and went to render it and i got an error message that says i dont have enough disc space does this mean my harddrive is to full or my poser or what can someone please tell me what this is all about so i know what to fix? thankyou

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 3:53 PM

How big is your hard drive, and how full is it? And what OS are you using? Remember that Poser needs swap file space, not just space to put the render. But if you have lots of free space on your hard drive, it might be that your Windows virtual memory settings are wrong.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 4:25 PM

How much space is left on your other drive? Windows may be using that one for virtual memory. What version of Poser are you using? Are you sure the error message is "not enough disk space" and not "not enough memory"? Can you tell us what your virtual memory settings are?

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 4:57 PM

Probably the message is something like this: "Insufficient disk space to render at this resolution." The first question, as already stated, is how much free hard drive space do you have? You might just try defragging your hard drive first to see if that fixes the problem. If you free space is sufficient, then there are two fixes: 1.) Adjust your swap file settings (I never do this) 2.) Place your Poser installation on a different hard drive than Windows. That usually works for me. If you've done this, and still get this message, then defrag your hard drive.

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 4:57 PM

Try exiting poser, restarting the pc, this should reset everything. Jack

doc_jones ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:07 PM

thanks for all the help everyone i burned off some extra files and freed up about 20 gigs of space i notice this sight came up much faster then usual lol so i think that it is a harddrive issue since i am a pakrat and hate not having things right there at my finger tips i havent gone into poser yet to see about that but i will here shortly if i still have a problem ill be right back at ya for more help you guys are so great connie

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:14 PM

If you've removed so many files, you'd better consider defragging the hard drive.

doc_jones ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:16 PM

im going to defrag now lol i went into poser and just loaded up the document window with everything i could think of just right on top of each other about 10 props an envirenment and V3 rendered it in about 2 minutes flat no problems looks like i need a nother harddrive lol i would like to try my hand at bryce but i think ill need more space first thanks again your all the best

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:17 PM

Additional to my last... ooh that's the military coming out again lol. Anyway, if i've been doing some heavy rendering, the 'disc space' message comes up. Can't remember the ins and outs of it, but restarting the computer cleared it up everytime... just try it, might save you a lot of time defragging and deleting stuff. Jack

doc_jones ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:22 PM

thanks jack and i didnt notice the military thought you seemed quite gentle about it did i mention i have poser installed 11 times on my harddrive cause i dont know how you move those runtime folders around without messing things up lol so everyone gets there own program lol one more question for all of you i been trying to do thumbnails now someone wrote me about that is there anyway that you know of to be more consistant in the size of them i kinda eyeball this stuff not to up on pixel thingys oh ya and what exactly does virtual memory have to do with all this anyway? do i need to know that?

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:28 PM

Um, I use photoshop7 for my thumnails... that and the mark1 eyeball to get the size. I believe there is a free programe out there somwhere that will do the thumbnails for you, if you post the question as a seperate thread you might get a better reply to that one... or search the poser forum. As to virtual memory? (pft) over my head... i make pictures is all. Jack

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:30 PM

Virtual memory is what Windows uses if you don't have enough RAM to do the job. Curious labs says one possible way to get rid of the Insufficient Disk Space error is to adjust your Virtual Memory. However, I've been told Windows XP does a good enough job on its own. I don't like fiddling with such intensive settings. I always wanted more room for Poser, so I got a 120GB hard drive, and gave it all to Poser. I almost never got that Insufficient Disk space error again. When I did, I defragged.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:37 PM

Yeah, I don't mess with virtual memory. I was really wondering which hard drive his swap file was using.

But it sounds like he's got it fixed. The "memory leak" problem is much less with SR4. I still have to restart Poser once in awhile, especially if I've been doing a lot of cloth simulations, but it's not nearly as bad as it was.

Anyway, going to the Curious Labs web site and downloading any patches or service releases you don't have yet is probably a good idea. :-)

doc_jones ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:41 PM

ok Jack this one is really out there what is a thread? i see that alot but dont get it old brain here this is all new and me to i dont do techy i jsut make pictures thanks for all the feedback even if i didnt get an answer this was a fun experience today i often wondered what a forum was for connie

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:49 PM

He means start a new topic. This topic - this page of posts - is a thread.

But you don't need to start a new thread. The program you want is P3do Explorer:

http://www.senosoft.com/

And here's how to use it to make Poser thumbnails:

http://www.ebonshire.net/tut-posi/p-thumbnails.php

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:50 PM

Er, thread... ok. it's a... well it's... it's a post, a message. People reply and it gets longer... like a thread... yeah that's it (well makes sense to me but i've been on the brandy all night so it would) Jack

doc_jones ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 5:59 PM

thanks for the sight link its great

nakamuram ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2004 at 7:11 PM

Attached Link: http://www.curiouslabs.com/article/articleview/826/1/356/

I am assuming you are using Poser 4. This article will help. If you encounter this problem again, set all of your Virtual Memory to 0 and re-start your computer. Then set your Virtual Memory back to the original values and re-start again.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.