Thu, Sep 19, 11:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: need help with layering and your thoughts on this idea

tvernuccio ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 9:37 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:32 PM

hi guys. i'm having some high creativity going on, many ideas for projects...just flying with ideas!!! I am working on two series right now. one on friendship. one on photography. here is my first idea. i wanted an image to go with these words: A man should keep his friendships in constant repair. ~Samuel Johnson here's what i have so far. Tell me HONESTLY what you think. PLEASE don't hold back. I'm not used to working with layers. This is just my first draft...just exploring this theme. So many of you in here make such incredible pieces of art with your layering. i want to do the same. i want to produce something exciting! This image should say to you that friendships are important. Let's do what we can to make them work. The truck symbolizes the friendship that needs some fine tuning so to speak. friendships are like that. the power screw driver...obvious...a tool to symbolize our commitment to repair and fine-tune friendship...keep it going. The level represents an abstract idea about how stability is important in a friendship. give and take until you find that balance. once you find that balance, there is stability. Get friendship level. I had a candle in the image to represent inner light of each person. but i felt like candle took away from it. maybe not. if you want to see original with candle let me know. ok, you know where i wanna go with this. tell me what you think so far. here are my steps. this is nowhere final...just a beginning. thanks SO much for your feedback. ya'all know how much i value you telling me honestly what you think!!!!!!!

tvernuccio ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 9:38 PM

file_162891.jpg

this looks pretty boring i think. but it was a start.

tvernuccio ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 9:41 PM

file_162892.jpg

then i went here. I don't like this. but i could like it. it looks cut and pasted...hehe...and it is!!!! i want them to look like they are blended together. i recall someone mentioning feathering once before. is that what i need to do here to accomplish a blended look?

tvernuccio ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 9:46 PM

also wondering about adding a candle (3rd layer) in this. dunno. i'll play around later with that idea.

cynlee ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2004 at 11:58 PM

a few suggestions you can do to help with your layering, after you decide on the different sizes...

-you can add, top & bottom, the closest color to the outside border to line up with the image you're placing it on for even toning (to make the photo of the screwdriver larger without making the screwdriver itself larger)

-try out the different layering options available (i.e. multiply, overlay, lighten, darken, etc.)...
can also vary these options with the use of the "opacity" level

-try your magic wand... to delete certain areas...
or your eraser in a low opacity, or even you smudge tool,
also there's "blur" which is good on softening edges

-there is also "burning" & "dodging"
(right click on each tool to see the other options you can use)

this is a good way of combining images without having to "cut stuff out", using the lasso tool, which is hard on shaky hands & the eyes

ok... well you might know some of this... a lot of is "hit & miss" & lots of practice & play to get the feel of it :] as far as your idea, it's a good premise, something there you want to say & share, so go for it!

DJB ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 12:10 AM

I'd leave it at the 2 objects.I think putting a candle in it will add too much. Rather than have the screwdriver image with sharp edges you could try erasing it hard at the closest to the edge then back off the opacity with a larger size tip until it blends. I think if you keep the sharp edge it would be a good idea to enhance it more with a fifferent coloured line or drop shadow.In that way you will be making more of an advertisement though. Love the truck and the shot of screwdriver on thier own too by the way. Don't lose focus on this idea.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

titta ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 2:35 AM

file_162894.jpg

I think you are going to make a fine personal view to the subject! You've got really helpful tips there above. I suggest one quite easy and fast function to combine two layers - use the Quick mask function. I hope these instructions I made will help you. I made this with my on photos - and if you have questions, please feel free to ask them :-) Sorry if you don't use PS, I can't give any advice with QM - maybe somebody else know how it works in PaintShopPro or in other apps.

cynlee ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 11:00 AM

wow titta!! now that is helpful... i've even saved it :]

Sylvaine ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 1:45 PM

At least your posting might help people that have no idee about "HOW TO"....great ...screenshot...Love and Regards.

titta ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 2:04 PM

I'm happy if this screenshot helps somebody :-) A leopard can't get rid of his spots... (and once a teacher, always a teacher lol). Love to both of you, sisters! :-)

tvernuccio ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2004 at 4:03 PM

thank you guys SO much!!!!! cindy...i did play with all the layer properties and changed opacity...just not satisfied. i will try some of your suggestions...see what i can come up with! Thanks sister-chick! titta: what can i say...awesome tutorial you gave me! unfortunately...i don't use PS...use PSP7. but i sure appreciate!!!!!!!!! doug...i'll try that erasing...see what happens. might do the trick. sylvaine: yeah...maybe this will help someone else who wants to learn HOW TO...!!! back to the drawing board guys!!!! thanks again!

deemarie ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 2004 at 9:57 AM

Thanks so much for the tips and tricks tutorial titta :) If you would not mind, we would love to post that to the Photo Forum Resource room as a how 2 tutorial :) Dee-Marie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.