Mon, Sep 9, 6:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Poser 5 Handbook

SomethingWicked ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 9:25 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 10:20 AM

My husband surprised me with Poser 5 for Christmas, and with a little luck, it should be arriving tomorrow! I've used P4/PP for a couple of years, but really want to learn the ins and outs of P5 relatively quickly. What would you reccommend to be a good handbook? I've heard the one by Shamms Mortier isn't very good, but would also be interested in hearing other opinions about it since it seems to be the most widely advertised/available.

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 10:29 PM · edited Tue, 04 January 2005 at 10:39 PM

I've heard the one by Shamms Mortier isn't very good, but would also be interested in hearing other opinions about it since it seems to be the most widely advertised/available.

I think the reason it's the most widely advertised and available is because it's been in print since Poser 3. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best. You will get more from asking questions in the Poser forums or by finding online tutorials.

I got the Poser 3 Handbook and it was very disappointing. Very little "real world" examples ... in fact, it showed what NOT to do with Poser more than what TO DO with Poser. Rather than focus on how you could use Poser to make realistic art, it was geared more toward extremism ... silly facial expressions, odd body proportions, "flat" people, totally impractical stuff. From what I understand the Poser 4 and 5 versions showed little, if any, improvement.

Message edited on: 01/04/2005 22:39

geep ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 10:32 PM

Hi SomethingWicked, You could ... CLICK HERE for a couple of tutorials that might help. cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

joenorris ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 10:38 PM · edited Tue, 04 January 2005 at 10:39 PM

I have the P5 Handbook. It has an aggregate of maybe a page and a half worth of info that is a little more clearly written than what is in the manual that comes in the box, although the CD has some 3rd party content that is usable. It has that distinction only because CL's manual is such crap. You will get a lot more out of Dr Geep's tutes per links here, which by now pretty well cover it. He just posted a link to most of them a few days ago. [hah, cross-posted again!]

Message edited on: 01/04/2005 22:39

odeathoflife ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 10:54 PM

Well the p5 handbook isn't as much crap as many say but it is not all new material. I do beloeve that there were contributing authors that wrote the chapters rather then shamms sho does those stupid turn the dials till you get a monstrosity picture, cause I was asked ( and I declined but gave some files to the book) to write some. If you can get it used do so, it does have some useful info in it. but not for the $50 bones or so new.

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 11:27 PM

Forget the Poser 5 manual. It's poorly written and riddled with mistakes. Try Geep's tutes, you might even be able to understand them. Beyond that, sit down, and browse through the forums for some reading. Or ask questions.

Lawndart ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 1:30 AM

Attached Link: http://www.3-AXIS.com

There is also the Poser 5 Demystified video. Cheers, Joe

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 5:26 AM

Don't discount the Poser5 Manual totally, although it's got more than it's fair share of mistakes it's still one of the best places to start. Make sure you check out all the forums that deal specifically with Poser5 as well PoserPros http://www.poserpros.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=43 RuntimeDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/messages.ez?forum_id=28 Right here & over in the Poser Python & technical forums too & read every DrGeep tutorial there is (the guy is a wizard with poser & we're lucky to have him :D )

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Letterworks ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 11:22 AM

If your interested in figure creation, and some decent insights to the Cloth Room and Hair Room grab Bloodsong's book, Secrets of Figure Creation with Poser 5 - including Poser 3,4, and Pro Pack, authors real name is B.L. Render. It's about the best I've seen so far, although it's aimed more at the advanced user. Thre was a thread a bit earlier with links to "Most" of Dr. Geep's tutorials. someone really should edit them into a book, they are at least 10 times as useful as any thin in the P5 handbook and I pick up something I missed every time I look though them. Mike

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 11:22 AM

If someone is going to write a book or manual, they should darned well get it right. We shouldn't need to pick past the myriad mistakes and learn in spite of the author's ineptitude or ignorance. Believe me, I tried hard to work with that manual, and it surely needs to be rewritten. Of course, now Poser 6 is in the works, and is likely to also have a crappy manual.

SomethingWicked ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 11:22 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still awaiting the arrival of the UPS guy, and can't wait to get started trying out some new tips and tricks!

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 12:17 PM

I never had Poser 4 or any other 3D programme before buying Poser 5. I got into fairly well and I think I'm doing some alright stuff with it now. What I'm saying is if you've used Poser 4/PP then you should have no problem with getting to grips with it quickly IMHO.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 3:59 PM

Attached Link: http://www.posernode.co.uk/main.htm

Hi Wicked :) Hope you have fun with P5 I think it's great, especially the cloth room. I;ve done what I hope is a simple tutorial for the cloth room, you can get it from my site. If you look in the dowloads there is a pair of pants for V3 you can practise with :) Have fun John.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

JHoagland ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 6:32 PM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0240519299/ref=ase_vanishingpo02-20/103-3421428-98606

I haven't read the Poser 5 Handbook, but I do have a copy of "Secrets of Figure Creation".

If you're just starting out, I would recommend against getting this book. It goes into a lot of detail about the various Poser file types, which may lose you.

However, if you're serious about wanting to create your figures from scratch, then this is the perfect book. :)
Though, you'll still have to learn a modelling program to actually create the figures.

--John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

zulu9812 ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 6:49 PM

I quite like Shamms Mortier's book (The Poser 5 Handbook) - the chapter on animating was particularly enlightening for me. But it is expensive, and there are some very good free tutorials on the net, and this poser forum here will be invaluable to you.

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 7:28 PM

Attached Link: www.poserproducts.com

may I also suggest Sixus1's Poser In Depth Series? (Availible at the marketplace here and at www.poserproducts.com ) I have both out so far and I can recommend them highly... availble so far: Poser In Depth: Understanding Posing Poser In Depth 2: Shader Essentials with more to come...

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2005 at 7:40 PM

Or you can get a wealth of Poser tutorials for free.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.