Sun, Sep 22, 6:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: The Poser Encyclopoedia Status Update - Jan 13 2005

gellenburg ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 5:42 AM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 3:20 PM

Attached Link: http://wiki.my3dart.com/

The Poser Encyclopoedia - Status Update - Jan 13 2005 Greetings! Work is chumming away on TPE with several hundred (500+) new stub pages added (most recently from DAZ & Renderosity). As stub pages, these are pages with little (to no) content as they're simply place holders. I've gone ahead and have done some minimal categorization to the pages as well. Based on the web logs and personal replies, interest in TPE is continuing to rise, and that's great! Google & MSN Search have begun indexing the pages too, so once the stub pages get filled in, finding Poser products and material should become even more easy. Currently stub pages only link to their respective product (source) pages. I've added a couple of new sections called "Tutorials," and "How-Tos." Nothing's in them yet ... but if you've ever written a tutorial you might wish to add it. Of course though, before you do, you might want to read the Creative Commons: "Non-Commercial, Attribution, Like" license (the link is on the bottom of most content pages.) A "Links" page has been added at the request of one member, and since it's also a WiKi page, anyone can add their own links (and sections) as well. Current categories are "Communities," "Brokers," "Personal Sites (non-commercial)," "Commercial Poser Sites," and "Free Downloads & Content." A mailing list has also been created for those who'd like to discuss the current direction of TPE and its future. After all, TPE was created for the Poser community, therefore it should be driven by the Poser community. I received an Email the other day asking if any "free stuff" would be listed since all the stub pages right now seem to only point to DAZ & Renderosity's Marketplace (I'll be getting to Renderotica's and some of the others in the future). Well, the answer is an emphatic "YES!" I thought about starting to add some stub pages for some of the free Poser products available, but quickly backed away from it though due to (a) the sheer number of products, (b) the sheer volume that new free products are uploaded, and (c) the fact that most link directly to the download page with little to no additional information. Therefore, I'm leaving any free stuff submission to be up to the creator. As always though, your help is greatly needed. As mentioned in previous posts, this is not a one-man endeavor. This is a purely voluntary, public, and non-commercial, endeavor to bring together as many Poser resources as possible for the benefit of all, in a clearly organized fashion. Merchants win since TPE currently provides an alternative form of advertising. Users win since TPE will hopefully someday provide a definitive resource for all items a product contains (and all items a product is compatible with.) Poses, props, MATs, morphs, figures, textures, backgrounds... anything Poser related. For those who've never heard of this ambitious endeavor: TPE is not a Gallery site (although as part of My3dart.com its parent site does provide that.) In addition, TPE is not a "forum". The forum you're reading right now does just fine. Neither is it a place for "discussion" (although each page has an associated "Talk page" where discussions can take place, these are typically restricted to discussions about a specific page's content.) As a WiKi, TPE allows for anyone, anywhere, and at any time, to make whatever edits and changes to a page as deemed necessary. If you're unafamiliar with the WiKi concept, Google for "WiKi" or "Wikipedia". No login (or account) is even required. If you're concerned about anonymity, TPE works just fine with TheCloak.com or Anonymizer.com. I encourage you to visit TPE today. Last, if you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this post or drop me an email directly. My email address is at the bottom. Best regards, -- GEllenburg (AIM), george (*@*) ellenburg (*.*) org

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 11:18 AM

It looks good so far. By the way, they spell it "encyclopia" in England, where the " is actually one letter, in some kind of old English alphabet or whatever. So I apologize in advance if I missed the part where you explained your alternative spelling

dork.gif
But be cautious about freestuff. If you're too lax, it might turn into a warez free-for-all, in which case copyright sleuths would be constantly hounding you to remove links.

gellenburg ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 1:13 PM

Hello. First, apologies in advance for any spelling mistakes, I'm sending this from my BlackBerry.

I spelled TPE "oe" because I had an old copy of The Encyclopoedia Brittainica" sitting on my bookcase and thougt the spelling looked neat (ca. 1930).

The warez worries shouldn't be much of one, but I can see your concern. Only jpegs and pngs can be uploaded, and since a wiki is self governing, pages can be rolled back and IP addresses blocked.

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 1:54 PM

It's an excellent idea, but I must admit to being completely puzzled as to how to use it. I see a big box and some buttons with tooltips, but I don't see any defined place to put a link or an image or a description.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 4:45 PM

Sometimes we spell it Encyclopedia in England as well - even Brittanica has succumed on its website.

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 6:09 PM

This is a really cool idea. If you'd like to link/include www.vanishingpoint.biz and www.sparkyworld.co.uk you're more than welcome. If you have a banner sparkyworld will always link back. Al

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 6:16 PM

I can supply you with a few hundred Poser links, most of which can be found on Ernyoka1's Trekkie Grrrls site (a fatal case of 'be careful what you ask for'..;) I need to do some pruning soon. Since I don't have any way to buy things on the web (unless they start taking cash or money orders..long story..;), they all have free content, tutorials, etc. IM me with an email addy, and I'll slice out the list and send it to you.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 6:50 PM

I can`t buy things on the web either I thought I was the only one. ;)

gellenburg ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 6:54 PM

To ockham:

I admit the actual documentation leaves a lot to be desired. I'm working on that. ;-) Believe me, I can understand that the WiKi concept and paradigm are ... unless you've worked with it ... unlike most things on the web.

The concept, however, is quite simple. I'll see if I can adequately do it justice. ;-)

With a WiKi, think about it this way - every page that could possibly ever exist actually does. For example, visit any one of these links:

Link 1

Link 2

Take a look at the URLs. http://wiki.my3dart.com/index.php/This_Page_Does_Not_Exist and http://wiki.my3dart.com/index.php/This_Page_Also_Does_Not_Exist .

(Obviously though if someone edits the page, adds content, and then saves it then the page will exist at that point. :-)

The second part of WiKi's are the linking capabilities. For example, if I wanted to create a new link to [[this page]] then "this page" would automatically be converted into a link to a page called "This_page". But, since "This_page" doesn't exist yet, clicking on the link will allow you to edit it, and then save it.

There are other features like the creation of categories on the fly. Want to create a new category for a page? Simply key in [[Category:My new category]] and magically it's created.

There's a lot more to it, but those are the basics. The Sandbox is the perfect place to play around. You can look at the history of all the edits to the page, rollback any previous edits.

The bottom line is absolutely no one can break a WiKi. It can't happen.

Ok, maybe technically but it'd be pretty darn hard to do it and even if it happened any problems could easily be backed out and restored.

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 8:32 PM

In Britain it is usually just encyclopaedia the ae connected is fairly archaic.

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2005 at 5:28 PM

is Danish. A lot of English words origens from the danish language eg. all english words starting with sk (sky). Because also is quit new in the danish alphabeth it was written ae before. was aa and was oe :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.