Wed, Sep 18, 10:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Stupid Question

mistersinister ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 5:48 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 8:18 PM

So I unpacked them and put them on CDs. The problem is that I wanted them on CD to use as needed which is why I unpacked them. Now here is the funny part. How to do I use them from the CD when needed. I can't seem to get them to import as I need them to. Any suggestions? Or this possible to do at all?

mistersinister ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 5:49 PM

OK, my last did not make any sense, so here it is completely written out. Pardon me. stupid question. I have recently calculated and organized my poser freebies that I have downloaded over the years. To free some space on my HDD I needed to do something with them but I did not want to install all of them because I have literally GIGs of the stuff. So I unpacked them and put them on CDs. The problem is that I wanted them on CD to use as needed which is why I unpacked them. Now here is the funny part. How to do I use them from the CD when needed. I can't seem to get them to import as I need them to.

zippyozzy ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 6:05 PM

are you saying: you can't just copy what you need from the CD into Poser? without storing them on your hard drive? Is it a disk burn? If so, how did you burn it? If you burned it as 'data' it should transport no problem. You may need to get a ripping program though to put what you want into Poser without having to storing it back on your drive.

mistersinister ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 6:20 PM

Yes it is a disc burn as data. I used the basic Winxp burn to make the CD. I just want to pullit straight from the Disc as needed with out adding it to the library. Starting to seem impossible. Ok so basically, it seems that it must be in the poser library in order be useable, correct? I think that should CL's next step on Improvement since there is so much content out there for the program. Hmmm, maybe there's a util or plug that will do just that, what d'you think? I should ckeck the free stuff!!

zippyozzy ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 6:53 PM · edited Wed, 26 January 2005 at 6:56 PM

"Ok so basically, it seems that it must be in the poser library in order be useable, correct?"
Yes, to use any Poser items they will need to be in your 'Runtime' folder then to whatever sub folders they will need to be placed in. I dont think you can run them directly from a CD.
Message edited on: 01/26/2005 18:56

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 7:41 PM

If you use Poser 5 you can probably organise your CD as one or more runtimes. With poser 4 I believe you are restricted to one runtime. you would need to install and remove items as required. You could possibly have a temp subfolder in props and characters and swap the contents in and out as required.

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2005 at 6:50 AM

One issue with having Runtimes on a CD. If it is not there when Poser Starts, it will be cleared from the available Runtimes, so you will need to add it back each time if you do not plan on keeping it in the drive, or if you want to swap.

ratscloset
aka John

zippyozzy ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2005 at 11:06 AM · edited Thu, 27 January 2005 at 11:07 AM

How would Poser recognize the items to use via CD if not installed in the Runtime folder? I assumed he was in P4 and that's why he asked. :)

Message edited on: 01/27/2005 11:07

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2005 at 9:02 PM

I thought he had P5. You can do this in P5, but each time you start P5 without the CD or change CD's you need to add the Runtime. In all honesty, it is not that hard.

ratscloset
aka John

mistersinister ( ) posted Fri, 28 January 2005 at 7:36 PM · edited Fri, 28 January 2005 at 7:38 PM

I assumed he was in P4 and that's why he asked. :)

Actually I Use both versions.

So if it the CD thing works with there being a runtime on the CD but only with P5, then I will stick with that since it is more greatly, stupendously, and deliciously powerfuller and better-er.
However, Ratscloset mentions adding the runtime. "?"
Please, explain exactly how that is done.

I know, I know, I'm such a noob!! But no one knows unless they are taught. Message edited on: 01/28/2005 19:38

mistersinister ( ) posted Fri, 28 January 2005 at 7:37 PM

Oh by the way. thanx guys for all your help. It's much appreciated.

mistersinister ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2005 at 9:27 PM

Ok I made the runtime CD but I can't figure out how to get Poser to recognize it. Help, please.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.