Tue, Oct 22, 10:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:16 am)

Subject: Problem with reflection of raytraced water

almostfm ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2005 at 1:55 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:26 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_175962.jpg

I'm having a problem that I'm hoping somebody can help with.

I've got Ajax's free raytraced water texture, and I'm working on a scene that uses a mirror. The water looks fine in the actual pool, but it's got this funky purple color in the reflection (it's the same color that is the "background" color on the refract node that is plugged into the refraction_color).

I've tried playing around with the settings on the water, I've tried moving the lights and camera, I even bumped up the "raytrace bounces" setting for the render all the way to 64, thinking that might be the problem (since the water uses raytracing and the mirror does for the reflection), and I can't seem to get it to change.

Any ideas?

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2005 at 2:38 AM

Silly question :) did you change the refraction color? John.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

stewer ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2005 at 2:39 AM

it's the same color that is the "background" color on the refract node that is plugged into the refraction_color Change that to the color your background really has.

almostfm ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2005 at 2:48 AM

Fugazi, Yeah--whatever I change the refraction color to, that's the color I see for the water in the reflection. Stewer, Let me give that a try, and see how it works. thanks!

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2005 at 3:19 AM

I have a couple of water materials, the background colour on the reflect node is a nearly black shade of blue.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

almostfm ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2005 at 4:20 AM

Stewer, Changing the background color to the color of the background (whoda thunk it?) makes a big difference. I'm going to tweak it some, and see if I can get it a little more "transparent", but if I can't, at least I've got something I can work with. Thanks!

Ajax ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2005 at 5:11 PM · edited Sat, 29 January 2005 at 5:13 PM

The reason I left it that colour was to be a kind of alarm bell. When you see pink, you're supposed to go "hey, something's wrong". In this case, what's wrong is that there's nothing for the water to reflect - no sky, no roof, nada.

If you check the readme for the shader pack, you'll see a list of ways you can handle the problem. Changing the background colour to something less obtrusive is one of them, but the best thing would be to include a sky dome or some other sort of enclosed prop in your scene so the water has somethig it can reflect. You can also feed a spherical environment map (ie a reflection map) into the background channel. All you need is a reflection map that looks like the sky.

Message edited on: 01/29/2005 17:13

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

almostfm ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2005 at 2:43 AM

Ajax, Having it that color certainly worked as an alarm :-) I never thought about no "ceiling" being a problem, since every other time I used it, I had a ceiling. It looks like I need to spend some time with the readme file. Thanks for the help--it's my favorite water to use.

Ajax ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2005 at 3:08 AM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.