Sun, Sep 15, 11:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: OMG WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (broadband crazy)

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 9:17 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 6:55 PM

yes, it's true, i've got it. it's super duper awesome. it rocks my world, and it's only 30kbps, but what the heck, it's still awesome :D drac

erosiaart ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 9:23 AM

LOL!! Round of free vodka on you?? But man..does it mean we have more of you around?? :P!

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 9:34 AM

yes. all the time. 24/7. constantly. :D m

scoleman123 ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 9:39 AM

So Happy, now i have to find a was to steal it

facebook.com/scoleman123

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 10:10 AM
Forum Moderator

Hang on a minute! 30kb/s ??? What the hell do you need broadband for? This is something that's been bugging me for months now. I got a 56kb/s V90 modem. My d/loads are regularly 2.69kb/s. Where did the rest go? If you're on broadband in the uk, you're suppose to get upto 512kb/s. So what do those users get? This is doing my head in.....

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 10:53 AM

Bryster you're on a 56kb/s V90 modem and your d/loads are regularly 2.69kb/s. Man move over to Australia. My d/loads are 3.70-4.97kb/s on a 56k v90 modem.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Sambucus ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 11:01 AM

Bryster, when I had dial up I used to get about 46/kbs max. youll never get 56. May be worth asking your phone company to check your line. I seem to remember that they sometimes split the line and you only get half speed. Demand more. Im on 2mb/s cable now and it flies. (1.97mb/s on newsgroups, for instance) Smug bastard walks away whistling happily. BTW, how do you put up with rosity`s speed on dial up? Cheech.

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 11:09 AM

i think there needs to be a definition of terms here... it's 56kiloBITS not kiloBYTES (I think?). Anyway, you're never gonna get 56kbytes/sec on a 56kbps modem. maybe 5.6 at the very very very max. this is 6 times that.

RodsArt ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 11:45 AM

He's a happy Drac, and he don't care... (sung to the tune of the lumberjack song) Good to hear, now we're sure to get more granny-skater pics.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 11:56 AM

drac on a very good day/night i can get downloads in at 6.70kb/s-8.45kb/s on a 56k dialup...doesn't happen often but when it does i start downloading 2-3 files at a time :)

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 12:04 PM
Forum Moderator

I still think we're being ripped off. I think the ISPs choke the feed to encourage us to buy broadband. Maybe I'll neverget 56kb/s, but I want a damn sight morethan 2.69kb/s.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rochr ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 12:04 PM

Welcome to the civilization! :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

derjimi ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 12:56 PM

Well, 235 kb/s rocks. ;-)

pumecobann ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 1:12 PM

OMG WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE That means harASSment at six times the speed then!

The wait can be horrific, but the outcome can be worse - pumeco 2006

drawbridgep ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 4:50 PM

I seem to remember there being some restriction, at least in the UK, on dialup modem connection speeds. SO even at 56kbs, they restrict it to 48 or something. I went up to ADSL 512kbs and got around about 400 mostly. Now I'm on 4mbs and I get.... (testing it) 3 megbits per second (Twice a T-1) and faster than average cable in Indiana of 2.15 Mbits/sec 1MB download in 2.8 seconds! Subjective rating: Awesome. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 5:08 PM

I've got 384 kbps and max 35-37 kB download. So you mean, 30 kBps, right, Drac? That would be something like 256-300 kbps... I could get 1.5 Mbps, but it's too expensive and I can really not justify it. On the other hand, I could justify flat rate at this speed. Or at least 768 kbps and 10GB traffic. :-) I'll see till the end of this month, when my initial "no traffic" period expires.

-- erlik

drawbridgep ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 5:15 PM

One of the (many) great things about getting married and moving in with a woman who loves the internet is that all of our bills have suddenly halved. So paying $44 a month for 4meg internet is actually only $22 each, which is 11 pounds (give or take), which is less than I was paying for my 512 adsl back in England. So my internet speed is 8 times faster and I'm paying less! I'm sure there was another reason to get married, but it escapes me right now.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ysvry ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 6:02 PM

i wouldnt trust a woman that liked internet did you install a key logger already? :P

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

Ardiva ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 6:21 PM · edited Fri, 04 February 2005 at 6:22 PM

I just got the highest internet speed yesterday, but I don't want to say how high so's I won't upset anyone here. However, I WILL say I deal with Cox.net. Ha! Ha! :)

Message edited on: 02/04/2005 18:22

Ardiva ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 6:24 PM

Ok..Ok...I'll can tell ya that my friend got the same service the day before I did and downloaded a 56mg file in 2 minutes. :)

Rochr ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 6:50 PM

Cant complain either. :) Depending on the server, normal speed here is around 1.5-1.7 megs/sec. Not bad for $27 per month.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

dashboard_jehovah ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 10:34 PM

With dial up, it also depends on the speed of the bandwith of the site dwnlding from...anywhere from 1.97 kbps ...up to 4.97 kbps, some start out fast, then slow down after a feww seconds.

Mahray ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 1:08 AM

Bah!! $44 / Month gets you 256k adsl here :(

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

Erlik ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 2:22 AM

Oh, well, Sweden has the highest Internet penetration in Europe, as well as the cheapest Internet. And for 20 dollars I get 384 with 1GB traffic. For 1.5 Mbit and flat rate, I would have to pay something like 110 dollars.

-- erlik

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 7:56 AM

56k here, and I typically get 4.6 to 5.6 (usually depending on how heavy the server is loaded on the other end)

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Vile ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 12:24 PM

I will do no less then 1Mbps :D welcome to the 20th century Drac let me know when you make it to the 21 lol :D just kidding at least that beats dial up!

Richard T ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 3:12 AM · edited Sun, 06 February 2005 at 3:15 AM

Just some clarification.
8 bits = 1 byte
Therefore 56 Kilobits/sec (Kb) = 7 Kilobytes/sec (KB)
Note the capitals.
If I use dialup (56Kb) generally I see anything from 2.5 to 6.5 KB/sec depending on the host.
On cable (theoretical max 10Mb/sec) I see 60~70KB/sec (480~560 Kb) from DAZ. From local servers here in Australia (especially major corporations like Microsoft) I have seen >700KB/sec (>5.6Mb/sec).
If I D/L on cable from a very busy overseas host it sometimes seems just like being on dial up.
My Cable upload speed is restricted to 128 Kb/sec.
My son (age 17) has downloaded 2GB files locally, I think, without any problems at all (he loved playing StarWars Galaxies)

Message edited on: 02/06/2005 03:15

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.