Fri, Sep 20, 10:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: Need advice: Skin tex maps-do they wrap @dif resolutions?

bigbrain28 ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2001 at 10:03 AM ยท edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 2:35 PM

file_141045.jpg

When I use, or modify a poser 4 skin map, I find the face maps fine, but the torso hips and waist seem to be lower res-although its the same map. Am I missing a step? See image above, the face and torso seem fine, but her legs and feet are missing detail.I have enough hardware to map hi-res tex, but can't get them to appear that way. Any help appreciated.

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2001 at 11:09 AM

heyas; no, they're not lower res, but look at the map.... notice how much bigger the head is compared to the body. so for the head, you maybe have, say 500x500 pixels to paint the face, while the whole body has... maybe 500x300 pixels. now look at the figure, the head is smaller than the body, right? :) so the small head gets 500x500 pixels of detail, and the whole body, which is bigger, gets barely any more texture real-estate for its details.

whoopdat ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2001 at 11:31 AM

What are the dimensions of your texture? In general, I seem to see 3000 x 3000 for "high res" textures.

thenodemaster ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2001 at 1:25 PM

I normally work with 1200x1200 for most of my skin textures. If I have something like a tattoo that has very sharp lines, then 3000x3000. Other than that, the default texture resolution works just fine.

steveshanks ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2001 at 1:44 PM

what a stunning face, is that one of your own maps/morphs or a download, i love thae hair too :o).........Steve

bigbrain28 ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2001 at 4:43 PM

I think Bloodsong hit the nail on the head. I can't believe I missed that, its so obvious! Now how do I stay ahead of the curve? Will 3000 x 3000 guarantee me nice renders on the body with out over doing the face?

bloodsong ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2001 at 5:32 PM

heyas; i dont know if you could actually 'over do' the face.... you could try sizing up your current texture to 3000x, leave the face and re-do the skin. you might also look into re-mapping the figure to use separate texture maps for the body and the head. all you need to do, really, is assign the head's skin material to a new name, and you should be good to go. then you can apply your 1200x texture to the head (and it's component parts), and the 3000x texture to the body (and it's component parts) ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.