Sat, Sep 7, 7:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: What a nutter will do for a completed render...

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 4:37 PM · edited Fri, 06 September 2024 at 5:55 AM

file_183879.JPG

First of all I'm running a fever. 38.2 degrees Celsius. Don't know what that is in Farenheit, but it can't be good. I slept with hte window open and my head's... well... twice its size, or at least I feel it that way. So I thought I should take advantage of this situation (theoretically feeling like I have twice the brainpower), and do some rendering. Now I admit I've done this with Bryce before. It worked, rendered faster, so I thought I should retry it with YAFRAY since its processing is *more* cpu-intensive than Bryce's. Since it's a Dell Inspiron 5100, it shuts down because of a factory design error in its cooling system. Also because laptops aren't exactly made for rendering jobs. Moving on... So there I was, spamming poor Drawbridgep with MSN messages and IM's asking how to make transparencies happen in Wings and telling him how I want to log into the DAZ bug center and report Poser as a serious error (almost did it) in Bryce 5.5, when it dawned on me: Since my comp's shutting down constantly when it's 80% done because of overheating, I'll just put it in a place where it's cold. On the balcony, 6th floor. It's -10 degrees celsius outside. Sure enough it rendered like 5x faster and without crashing. The above picture represents the lenghts I therefore went to, with a running temperature (is that the expression?) to do a simple test render. I put it on the balcony, looked at it, and said, "I'm nuts, I gotta take a picture of this." So I did. Don't mind the ghetto concrete railing on the balcony, these are Communist-era buildings. They don't survive many earthquakes and we've had 3 since 1989. So thanks for letting me waste 5 minutes of your life with this completely pointless story. I'm off to sleep. Drac (And have taken my meds) ((Oh, moral of the story: Drac with twice the brain power doesn't equal a twice as smart Drac))

RodsArt ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 4:57 PM

Just hope there are no more Quakes till your render is done....Snow too.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Ang25 ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 6:12 PM

Hope you feel better soon, and yeah what ICM said too.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 6:32 PM

Poor drawbridgep was totally unaware of this due to occupational problems (having a job sucks) and unable to assist dear friend with questions, coupled with the fact that I don't really know the answers and anything I've produced in Yafray is more luck than judgement. I don't find putting a laptop on the balcony strange at all. I've tried putting mine next to an open fridge (didn't help), I've tried resting a fan against the intakes (helped a lot) and I've tried a cooling pad with fans (sucked donkeys). Eventually cut it apart and stuck the fans (powered by USB) directly onto the intake. Worked like a charm. I tried my laptop a few days back and after sitting gathering dust for 6 months, it won't even idle for more than 10 minutes without over heating. Moving to Romania though wasn't really a solution I considered.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 7:12 PM

Normal Body Temperature should be 37 C so your not doing too bad.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 7:48 PM

-10 is not good for the laptop. Keep an eye on it, I once had someone put a laptop in their trunk overnight in 14F weather, and overnight their LCD became an SCD (Solid Crystal Display)..crunchy, but useless.. check the web sites for ordinary temperatures that you're supposed to use, the thermal stress may not be good for it. (Not to mention they'll give you a hard time and say you invalidated your warranty..:|
I usually tell folks that if they're uncomfortable with the termperature, their PC may be as well. Hope you get to feeling better..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

LordOfAcid ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 8:43 PM

hmm come live in my place draculaz.t can be 40 degrees Celsius outside but in my house it will be 25 degrees Celsius. No airconditioner or anyother means of keeping the house cool other than natural, can't even open the windows(cause there ain't none):) Now if there any Australian members on here they will know what my house is. I live at Lightening Ridge.

jocko500 ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 8:57 PM

you live in a cave that once mined opols[misspelled some mineal to put on rings]

what you see is not what you know; it in your face

erosiaart ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2005 at 9:46 PM

accidently found a strange solution out here.. place my laptop on a glass table.. and place the table under the AC..but not directly under the draft..works.. the glass gets cold, and in turn..cools the laptop off... :-) I flunked science, btw... Drac.. take take care..and for lands sake..why were you out in the freezing cold with a temp???

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2005 at 2:17 AM

Two aspirins will take your fever down to normal.....whooa, great texture on that railing-wall!

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

draculaz ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2005 at 4:20 AM

you want it, zhann? :D

Redfeather ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2005 at 5:16 AM

Hmmm nice improvisation drac. with with a head 2X its normal size ;) I know there are cooling units for towers, wonder if theres a laptop version. get well soon

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2005 at 7:30 AM

Usually LCDs come back to life once warmed up to normal temp. You just don't want to expose them to shock while in the frozen state (physical or thermal). Condensation after bringing a cold laptop back indoors is the real threat to watch out for. As for a fever, make some soup. You'll avoid dehydration that way and it probably has stuff in it that's good for you. Then try to sleep it off.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.