Thu, Oct 10, 6:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: Anyone else cleaning out their runtimes to make room for P6?

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 9:04 PM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 6:31 PM

Damn, I've accumulated a lot of stuff especially since in the past year and a half since there's been a lot more free human figures. Now I'm starting to clean out stuff that I haven't used since P4. I've been keeping stuff under the motto I might use it later, but later never happened. I also am not sure about how much content will come with P6, so I want to make room for new stuff :)

dlfurman ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 9:11 PM

Heh. Which one? (I have 2 P5's and a P4)

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

modus0 ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 9:15 PM

I've got a big enough HD right now that I can keep P5 and the 20 gb of runtimes and install P6 as well, so no. Of course, I'm not rushing to buy P6, I plan on waiting a while, just for gp.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 9:21 PM

Nope, not cleaning out anything ... ... but I do have a brandy new 4,000 GB HDD on order. ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 9:39 PM

Been adding to my Poser collection all day, what with freebies & specials at Daz -- great PC items this week! But yeah, I'm moving my unused/hardly-touch-it/what-the-heck-was-I-thinking stuff onto CDs or DVDs so that if/when I make up my mind & sell body parts for Poser 6 (and Vue, I gotta have Vue) my poor hard drive won't collapse from all the strain.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 9:46 PM

Nah - I'm cleaning mine out to get the damned thing organized. Sick of seeing a zillion directories with only a couple of items in most of them... If P6 performs better than P5, I'll get it. /P

geep ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 9:52 PM

Hey /Pengy ... how ya gonna know ifn ya don't get it? Just curious. ;=] cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 10:30 PM

I'll be asking around :) There are enough people whose opinions I can trust who have already went out and pre-ordered the critter; I'll just ask them to make comparisons. (There's also going to be the inevitable "P6 CPU Test" freebie and thread, which will make for interesting reading.) /P

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 10:34 PM

...I just got done with purging the Runtime. I renamed my on-computer Runtime as "Runtime.old", and in about 20 minutes (it just began copying all 69,000+ files, weighing in @ around 10.33GB), I'll have the new, optimized one copied over for testing. Still gotta go through and make a lot of (originally) .png files out of the existing .rsr files, though... been meaning to do that as part of the shove over into OSX, since P5 OSX doesn't read .rsr files worth a $*#@! /P

Netherworks ( ) posted Wed, 02 March 2005 at 11:01 PM

I'm planning on writing a review to post at Netherworks Studios after I spend a few days with the program. I've been a product tester for several places and individuals in the past, so I will keep my opinions unbiased: If it has shortcomings, I will explore those. If it shines, I will say so. :)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 12:43 AM

No.....I've already pretty well got my 5 runtimes organized....

I'll just transfer them over to P6, and continue on from there.

I've got tons of free stuff that I've managed to accumulate over the years. Literally 1000's of files. Most of the .zips have never even been viewed by me. Someday, it's going to be fun to dig through it all. I suppose that I won't be needing the 5-year-old Posette textures......

I did, however, do some heavy-duty backing up last weekend. Just my commercial products/free stuff files. I didn't back up any .pz3 scenes, or Poser itself.

It took 8 DVD's to do the job.

If I added in the .pz3's, then I would need to use about 4-5 times that number of DVD's.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 2:42 AM

"Anyone else cleaning out their runtimes to make room for P6? No, why would I? Paid good money for all of the stuff in my runtime, use most of it and I'm not getting P6 for a long time. I'll just wait untill all of you brave ones confirm after 2yrs that P6 is finally running stable. Or I'm not even going to get it at all, except for the new figures, nothing that I've seen until now excites me at all. If they figures are really good and worth it and get lot's of support by content creators, I'll consider upgrading. I just can't believe all the fuss that's being made about Poser 6, but that's the way to create a hype isn't it?

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 3:35 AM

... but I do have a brandy new 4,000 GB HDD on order.

Only four terabytes? That won't last you long ....

I just can't believe all the fuss that's being made about Poser 6 ....

It's a new release of the software we're all using. Ultimately, it'll either be good or bad, and its reception by the community may well determine whether Poser itself has a viable future.

Of course we're going to fuss about it.

martial ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 4:26 AM

I want also clean my 3 runtime.Delete into librarie is easy:but what and where are the related files:geometies,textures.For Daz it is relatively easy but others.Seems have seen a utility about it bu what it was

Jay7347 ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 6:03 AM

Cleaning out...no, I 've been running a new runtime arrangement for the last 2 1/2 months on my Mac that configures only one extra runtime loaded under downloads. Twenty gigs has been very stable and loads quickly. The switch to P6, (yeah I've preordered,) should be smooth. I hope! ;-) -jay

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 6:23 AM

Reoganizing, yes. Makes it easier to find the gems in the folder pile. Hopefully P Booost will work with P6 (or Hogwarden will only have a quicky fix to implement to get it to work). And Metaform. If only the SDK was done, and they could be testing P6-Vue Infinite function now..... Le Sigh....

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 7:05 AM

I thought P5 could have multiple runtimes (which would negate the need for Hogwarden's program). I don't have P5, so what do I not understand?

AlteredEgo ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 8:35 AM

Right, don't need PBooost with Poser 5.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 9:15 AM

" Reoganizing, yes. Makes it easier to find the gems in the folder pile."

'zackly.

I only deleted about half a GB at the most of stuff I had no obvious use for, duplicate files (had a few duped sets in there), stuff that has better versions of the same type of item lurking elsewhere, and things that I obviously haven't ever really used, and prolly won't ever use.

Then there's the fact that I had jillions of folders in there (esp. in Props) where there was no real logical sense to it. Ferinstance, take shoes. I had 'em scattered all over the place, which meant that finding a pair that fit the scene tended to eat a lot of time. I spent it all poking and prodding around through a huge pile of folders named after various merchants and freebie providers. Now, all the shoe props are lurking in one spot (further organized by specific figure types.)

I even managed to find things which I literally hadn't seen in at least a year or more because of the obscure locations where they had been buried.

Now when I get new stuff, I usually open it in Linux, merge everything into a dummy Runtime, reorganize the 'libraries' directory according to my little system then shift it over to the Mac (letting McPBrowser merge them into my main Runtime from there.) Takes a little more time to do that, but in the long run it saves even more time otherwise spent looking.

As for PBoost, IIRC, doesn't it also keep an eye on file dependencies? (Dunno - I don't do too many Win32 proggies, and the few that I do have run under Crossover Office on Linux or VirtualPC on the Mac.)

/P

AlteredEgo ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 9:32 AM

You're thinking of CorrectReference Pro.

Gongyla ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 1:14 PM

We have several runtime folders. They were organised by my friend, but he did not organise them the way I would. So I'll put his on a backup (he won't be doing digital art for a long, long time as he has too many realworld commissions and exhibitions to prepare) and start again for myself. I guess we won't upgrade as we have Poser 5, Cinema4D 9 and Photoshop. I guess Poser 5 can do all I need.

bigjobbie ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 2:18 PM

Has anyone posted a good set of subfolder categories for Runtime Libraries? I never seem to get through creating a filing system before collapsing with a burnt-out brain. If anyone has "perfected" the art of the runtime sub-category, I'd love to see the results. Cheers

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 3:34 PM

Won't P6 be the same as 5 and allow you to use your runtimes like you do with P4? I still use P4 pro pack and when I use P5 I just access what I need from the P4 directories. Figured I could do the same with P6...unless someone knows something I don't..lol Marque

FreeBass ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 3:35 PM

That would prob'ly be too "user specific" a task fer a "one size fits all" solution, bigjob, as everone has their own "proper place" fer stuff. But fer what is worth, here's my P5 system; Separate file (outside of my P5 folder) named !Runtime Libraries in which I have folders fer each of my large figure collections (V2, V3, A3, etc) containing character specific items, and folders matching the Libraries folders in P5 (lights, cameras, poses, props, etc). My Character files are further divided (like peng's) into logical groups (shoes, swords, temples). It ent the best system, but it werks fer me

WARNING!

This user has been known to swear. A LOT!

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 3:56 PM

The only piece of the Runtime you really have to worry about is certain directories within the "libraries" directory... everything else can bloat as much as you want it to, since you'll never see 'em in the UI. It's pretty easy, really. this is how my characters library is broken down: =--------------------------------- !3rd Party Figures !Aikos !Anime Figures !DAZ People !Fae !Judies !Pengs Characters !Poser 5 !Posettes !Toons !Yukas Animals Additional Figures Articulate Props Chains_Tubes Clothes Environment Furniture Hair Morphs_Addons New Characters New Figures Plants Shoes Vehicles -------------------- All humanoid and human figures have a "!" in front to keep 'em up top. (A lot of 'em are arranged according to personal taste, obviously.) You can prolly see where this is going - the !DAZ People directory has directories under it to hold figures, character morphs, and other stuff arranged by their base mesh - ------------------- !DAZ People: Lauras_Lukes Mikes Mil Girls Stephanie1.0s StephPetites Vickies Vicky3Males Vicky3s -------------- (I have all the Aiko figures and characters in their own directory somewhere else due to personal taste, but normally they'd go in there too.) I keep the clothes and shoes separate from all that up there too. Here's how the "clothes" directory breaks down: -------------- Clothes: Aeon Clothes Aiko3 Aiko-Steph Alexa Cindy Dina LaLaLa Laura LiliAnime MD-AnimeDoll Mike-n-Dork MilGirlPT Misc Neftoon P5chars Posettes PW Vicky3-Male Sara SP3 Universal (basically stuff built to fit any character) V2-and-Yuka V3 -------------------- Each of those have further subdirectories that split clothes into "Generic", "Gear" (backpacks, wings, etc), "Costumes", "Formalwear", "Intimate" (as in, underwear n' stuff), and "Misc" (for crap that just doesn't fit anywhere else.) It ain't perfect, but I think you can see the logic in it: I break the stuff down initially into general categories, and the people down based on their underlying mesh types (V1/2, SP3, whatever.) Then if there's too much stuff to squeeze into that, I break 'em apart into subcategories within each category... like how I broke down clothing based on what meshes the stuff will conform to, then further by the type of clothing it is. Poses are only slightly different: ---------------------------- Action_Poses Animal Poses Animated Dances_Artistic Default-For-Figures Digiport Everyday_Poses Injections MAT_Characters MAT_Clothes MAT-Hair MAT_Other Multiple_Figures Partial_Poses POSER_SCALE_TMP Pretty-Pinups Schlabber ---------------- You'll notice that certain merchants and makers do get their own slots here... but only because they have so much stuff that it's easier to just keep 'em separate. The rest are shuffled off into their own general type of pose, since most folks have a habit of making a set of poses to convey one theme or action more than anything else in that package. The only downside is that when you shove all the INJ-REM directories into a subdirectory, the "Inject All" style morphs don't work anymore. I'm still working on a solution to that, but I think I'll cough up a small dummy Runtime for Poser to boot from, and shove a copy of all the INJ-REM directories into that, arranged in their accustomed places. It takes a bit of thinking and evaluation of what you yourself actually do with the thing, but once you figure out what and how to organize your crap, it makes life a whole lot easier. /P

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 4:22 PM

In this post, I am quoting myself from another thread where the same question was asked. A thread about poses.

Please note that this is nothing more than a sketch of my particular system. It isn't a map of my entire set of runtimes -- it's just a bare outline.

As I note at the end of this quote, there isn't any one correct way to do this. My advice would be to pick and choose what works for you.

I try to organize my poses by figure. I have separate directories for "Victoria 3", "Michael 3", "Stephanie Petite", "Mil Cat".... etc..

In the case of mixed figure poses, I have directories for that, too - "V3/M3", etc..

Like this:

Runtime/Poses/Victoria 3/Sitting
Runtime/Poses/Victoria 3/Standing

And so forth.

For individual character-injection poses, I classify them separately:

It breaks down like this:

Runtime/Poses/Characters/Victoria 3/Amy
Runtime/Poses/Characters/Victoria 3/Barbara
Runtime/Poses/Characters/Victoria 3/Cathy

Runtime/Poses/Characters/Michael 3/Adam
Runtime/Poses/Characters/Michael 3/Barnabas
Runtime/Poses/Characters/Michael 3/Calvin

etc, etc, etc....................

BTW -- I have tons of characters in my runtime: these are merely organizational examples.

When I want to use a given character, I know exactly where to go to find the necessary character-injection poses.

However, just like with standard poses -- I rarely use a character exactly as it comes out of the box. Normally, I end up tweaking the texture, facial features, etc.....

For poses dealing with things, as in props, I organize them thus:

Runtime/Poses/Furniture/DAZ/XYZ set
Runtime/Poses/Furniture/Office/
Runtime/Poses/Furniture/Household/

Runtime/Poses/Equipment/Photography/Cameras/
Runtime/Poses/Equipment/Computers/
Runtime/Poses/Equipment/Industrial/

Runtime/Poses/SciFi/Davo/

Runtime/Poses/Magic/Emerald Scepter

Runtime/Poses/Vehicles/SAMS3D/
Runtime/Poses/Vehicles/iw43D/
Runtime/Poses/Vehicles/Aircraft/

This brief outline should give you an idea.

I'm not saying that doing it this way will work for everyone: but it works for me.

Each of us needs to have a runtime organizational system of some kind -- otherwise, you'll eventually end up with a complete mess.

bigjobbie ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 4:23 PM · edited Thu, 03 March 2005 at 4:27 PM

Thanks Peng (& FreeBass),
yeah, it's those tricky general/misc type objects that have defeated me in the past...I get so pleased by the neatness of the Figures, Creatures, Clothes type of categories that I try to enforce some kind of similar artful simplicity on hard-to-define stuff, so much so that I end up with a vast complicated system where sometimes a whole category is created for one damn prop or model...

I will embrace the zen of "Misc" and "Generic" as you describe it!

Cheers! ((oops, and thanx to Xenophonz too!))

Message edited on: 03/03/2005 16:27

vtx ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 6:11 PM

Well, so far it's quite nice what they have been showing.
But I'd prefer some of the weaker points of the program to be vastly
improved or at least reworked :

1. Hair : needs to look more realistic,needs far better handling (see shave&haircut plugin, for example)
  2. Cloth simulation : faster, better collision and interaction with hair and forces
  3. Face Editor must work for all figures, not just judy and don.
  4. More Content 'out of the box' : a real super model figure with enough clothes and hairstyles! (i
    know not very realistic ; but Judy is really ugly.)
  5. Material System needs to be improved.
  6. I suspect the walk designer will remain largly useless even in Poser 6.

So far what I have seen were mainly improvements in rendering and interface : so we got finally
Opengl; even old Bryce had that for ages.

If it turns out that Poser 6 will only make some cosmetic changes, I really have to think twice
about purchasing.

Just my 2 cents.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 6:17 PM

Some good info in here (and good ideas). I tried to get some of the same info a month (or so) ago when I posted about pboost. One question, though...when items these days fit more than one figure (like Aiko/Steph) and hair that fits multiple (sometimes 2 figures, sometimes, all of them)...where to you log those at (or how)?

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 6:30 PM

One question, though...when items these days fit more than one figure (like Aiko/Steph) and hair that fits multiple (sometimes 2 figures, sometimes, all of them)...where to you log those at (or how)?

Once again, to quote myself:

In the case of mixed figure poses, I have directories for that, too -- "V3-M3", etc..

For hair props that fit various characters -- personally, I would put the hair model into a general hair directory. But that's just me.

If you've got a hair object that fits 5 different characters, then it's admittedly difficult to classify the hair separately.

One alternative would be to copy the hair object menu into separate character directories:

Runtime/Libraries/Hair/M3/Floof Hair
Runtime/Libraries/Hair/SP/Floof Hair
Runtime/Libraries/Hair/V3/Floof Hair

........and so forth.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 8:39 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1676929

See this link for some information about organizing your files. The important thing is that you have a system. Any system. It can be character-centric or genre-centric or whatever focus is important to you. If you are organized, it is easier to keep the computer organized. If you can't find something (such as the transmap for Vicky's lashes), how do you expect the computer to find it? Carolly

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 11:10 PM

I'm pretty meticulous about organizing the bulk of my files and folders. I have so many subdivisions it would might make some crazy. Organization wasn't the problem for me. It was cleaning out the runtime of things I knew I was never going to use...

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2005 at 11:10 PM

I have a little different approach, I guess (as far as organization). I took the time to create a document with all the items in my Runtime folder (names and descriptions). It is MUCH faster (for me) to zip through a hard copy document of all my stuff than it is to poke through Poser. One glance at a page (It currently has 11 pages with three columns of data on each) gives me an over view of many files and items. I update the document every month or so.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.