Sun, Sep 22, 10:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Duel monitor = Vue non start

Compo ( ) posted Fri, 11 March 2005 at 7:44 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 8:24 AM

I have just set up a second monitor - AGP running my main monitor. PCI running the second, on which I have extended the desktop. Working fine, except when I start Vue 4 (to load on my main (primary) monitor as before) I get the startup screen but it then dies and doesn't load - on either monitor. If I disable the extended desktop for the second monitor it loads fine. What's up with that? Vue is the only prog to do this. Bryce 5 is ok. Looks like goodbye Vue then? Thanks for any help or suggestion.

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 11 March 2005 at 7:57 PM

Attached Link: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Support/ShowMessage.php?id=1049383829&stage=-1&chooseCategoryPage=&cate

Not sure how to help, I only have one monitor. I did a quick search on the knowledge base at e-on's website and found a message from someone using two monitors who apparently got them running fine with Vue. Here is the link just in case. You may have to sign up on thesite to read that message.

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 11 March 2005 at 7:57 PM

Maybe a problem of video card ?

Compo ( ) posted Fri, 11 March 2005 at 8:38 PM

Thanks agiel for the search. Hmmm, well both video cards are ok as Vue starts when using either as a single monitor setup. There's little point using a duel(or is that dual) setup for Vue as panels can't be detached, and I don't want to do that, but I do want it to start on the primary monitor when the second is set as extended. I can't see why it won't do that. It's the only prog I have that doesn't. I do a lot of work transferring hand drawn maps to a presentable format using XaraX, and a duel setup is good for displaying the map on one while working in XaraX on the other, plus all the option boxes can be put on the second screen. Then there's mail, which can be kept out of the way, etc.... I'm exploring Vue and Bryce with an aim of choosing one - I can't cope with learning two progs of this type. I had chosen Vue as everything is always in view, as opposed to one, two, three menu's away, but this problem is gonna change that for sure. One final thing. XP's duel setup is working ok because everything else functions ok. I'll explore more and have to ask e-on if they have a solution. Didn't want to tax anyones brain here, just wondered if there was a simple/quick solution, or a known problem with Vue. Thanks Les

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 11 March 2005 at 10:14 PM

Hmmmm......I've got dual monitors with XP.

I've never had a problem with either Vue 4 or with Vue 4 Pro running on my setup. No problems at all.

One difference, though: both of my monitors are AGP.

Sounds suspiciously like something to do with your hardware setup. At least, that's the first place that I'd look -- if it were me.

Oh, and another thing -- I have no problems with expanding the box to cover both monitors, either. This has the effect of stretching out the four view panels -- elongating them.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 11 March 2005 at 10:19 PM

file_199497.jpg

The effect looks like this.........

Compo ( ) posted Fri, 11 March 2005 at 11:44 PM

XENOPHONZ thanks for the image. Looks weird, too elongated. Would be ideal for docking the options panel on it's own though, as in other progs. Well I can't get it working. Strange thing is if I set the *second monitor as primary, leaving extended desktop set, it works and loads on the second (now primary) monitor, but freezes if I extend Vue onto the other screen. *That monitor runs off a lesser video card, an old PCI Cirrus 5446 2MB. It's ancient, but I can get 16 million colours at 1024x768, pretty amazing I think. Ok to run the second monitor, but not for running PS, Vue, etc. Oh well, maybe I'll settle for switching off extended desktop when using Vue which will get things back running as previously?

LordWexford ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2005 at 1:44 AM

I'm also running dual monitors using Win XP and AGP graphics cards without any problems. Are you running the latest drivers on both cards?

rwilliams ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2005 at 6:23 AM

file_199498.jpg

I use dual monitors with Vue 4. One is AGP the other PCI. Both are ATI Radeon based. One drives a 20" (the left) at 1600 X 1200 resolution. The other drives a 17" LCD (the right) at 1280 X 1024 resolution. As you can see in the screen capture, I place the four panels on the big screen, and the information bar on the small one. Then there is room for other stuff like IE (in this example).

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2005 at 11:00 AM

XENOPHONZ thanks for the image. Looks weird, too elongated. Would be ideal for docking the options panel on it's own though, as in other progs. Yes, I don't actually use the window in that configuration. As you say, it's unbalanced. However, I can move the options bar into the second monitor with no difficulties. BTW - I do set up Poser across both monitors. It provides me with a much superior workspace for Poser as opposed to using only one monitor. For anyone that's thinking about it, I highly recommend getting dual monitors.

Compo ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2005 at 11:56 AM

Thanks for all the comments and examples. It just won't work for me with Vue when using my main AGP card/primary monitor, so I'll just leave it and un-extend desktop when using Vue. I do have latest drivers, but the Cirrus PCI card must be eight years old, only 2MB. 16 mill colours at 1024x768 is amazing. I would have put it down to this card but no, it runs Vue on a single screen setup, so? I'll continue to use it for the second screen. My 21 inch monitor's screen recently 'collapsed' and is now kaput - only three years old too! So I setup two 17 inch monitors to make life easier. I too recommend this configuration, docking stuff on a second screen clears work area and is a great benefit.

thomllama ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2005 at 12:59 AM · edited Sun, 13 March 2005 at 12:59 AM

I'm guessing it's because the older graphics card isn't really compatible with the newer one.. it'll run fine side by side in most cases... but Vue has some funny video card requirements.. can do one or the other video card but not both.. only other thing is that if you have open GL on? that old card can't handle it? when you start up on the old card.. it auto shuts OpenGL off.. when you start up on the newer card as master it has GL on and freaks everything out cause the old card doesn't know what to do with it? just a guess

I have had dual monitors on my macs... oh god for almost 10 years.. if not to many problems but i have had very old cards conflict with newer software....

I do wish Vue would get the brake off menus.. makes life SOO much easier to have all the tool on one screen and just the image on the other

Message edited on: 03/13/2005 00:59

Hexagon, Carrara, Sculptris, and recently Sketchup. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.