Wed, Oct 23, 5:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: changing dpi without changing image size

gonedigital ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2005 at 12:21 PM · edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 5:35 AM

Hello all. My situation is this...all of the images that I have created in Bryce 5 are rendered at 72 dpi, I want to have some of the images printed and would of course like the best quality, I have read that I should use 300 dpi to get the best image. Ok now the question, how do I change the dpi of a bryce image into a 300 dpi image without changing the size of the image? I have Photoshop 6. All help is appreciated! Thank you.
~gonedigital

Message edited on: 03/19/2005 12:23

draculaz ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2005 at 12:37 PM

render to disk. mind you, you'd have to re-render all of them. stretching an image to something-300dpi-ish would make it ugly. drac

Erlik ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2005 at 1:44 PM

Go to Image -> Image Size. Uncheck Resample Image. Enter 300 as the resolution. Voila. Mind you, the print size is going to go down, while the pixel size is going to stay the same. BUT! The resolution depends on where you print it. Maybe you need just 250 dpi or something. Ask. Drac, if you noticed, when you go to Render to disk and change the resolution, the inch dimensions fall down fourfold. So you have to enter the resolution and then inch dimensions to get what you want. Basically, what Bryce does is applying that thing from Photoshop during render. So, gd, if you want to render for print, just think of dimensions, multiply by 300 and you'll get pixel size. (frex, 20x15" times 300 equals 6000 x 4500 pixels) Then divide by four and you'll get the size of the document (1500 x 1125) needed to render at four times size onscreen. Or you can always render to disk. Er, am I making myself clear? PS ASK about resolution and dimensions at the place where you will have your images printed.

-- erlik

Quest ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2005 at 5:22 PM · edited Sat, 19 March 2005 at 5:24 PM

Digital photographers often use a technique created by digital photography guru, and Photoshop User columnist Jim DiVital to increase the size of digital photos with very little loss due to blurriness, softness and even pixelation when increased. It is claimed, Ive never increase to such sizes so I personally dont know, that a 5x7 inch photo can be enlarged to an 18x24 inch poster size with little loss.

In Photoshop go to the image menu and chose image size. Make sure resample image is turned off. In the pop-up dialog change units of measure from inches to percent. Then type in 110, this will increase the image size by 10%. Continue doing this until you get the image size you want. 10% at a clip. Supposedly, it is reported, this does a great job. Ive tried it to smaller sizes and it works for me.

Message edited on: 03/19/2005 17:24

ysvry ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2005 at 10:18 PM

forget dpi just ask the printer what pixel dimensions he can print, dpi is out off date teach him that.

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

lordstormdragon ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2005 at 6:51 AM

DPI isn't out of date, Ysvry, it's very important to the printing process and the key to good prints. Don't try to confuse GoneDigital, please. You can NOT change DPI without changing your image size, GoneDigital. DPI is just a description of how detailed your image will be for a given print size. So, an image that is 1,000x600 will print at 100 DPI on a 10x6 card, or at 200 DPI on a 5x3 card. If your image is a a standard 8.5"x11", then 300 DPI would be 2550x3300 pixels. Like the others said, it's best done with the "render to disk" function...

pauljs75 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 2:20 AM

I believe Bryce can go up to 3000 x 4000 on screen. This is good to know if you can't leave the computer continuously running... There's still a drawback with the "render to disk" function, and that is the fact it cannot be paused and resumed. Hopefully DAZ will fix that one.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.