Fri, Sep 20, 3:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:20 pm)

Subject: A FIX for my crashing to desktop in P6!

Danava ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 1:02 AM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 2:26 PM

OK so after some time with launching poser, switching rooms and crashing to desktop, I finally have my problem narrowed down the the following: Poser apparently HATES my WACOM Graphhire tablet and MS Office's CFTMON.EXE. If I shut down both TABLET.EXE and CTFMON.EXE I am able to run Poser without crashing by switching rooms. Unless I do that, Poser drops me to desktop every time without fail. You others who are having crashing issues please try that and let me know!

maccaroni ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 3:12 AM · edited Wed, 23 March 2005 at 3:16 AM

in my case it was the nwiz.exe file that lets my p6 crash
i deleted this file and now it runs. i hope it helps.

Message edited on: 03/23/2005 03:16

mathman ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 3:34 AM

Oh poo .... I have a Wacom Graphire, and I'm still waiting for my P6 to arrive in the mail. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 5:39 AM

Write techsupport@curiouslabs.com and ask them to look into the tablet issue... or anything where you can narrow it down like this to a specific executable arguing with the program.

FishNose ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 6:12 AM

Hmm... I have Tablet.exe running and Poser6 works fine. ??? In fact I have the tablet, a wireless trackball AND a wireless mouse all running, all work fine with Poser6. I have a total of 46 processes running right now (even with no apps up at all except Browser). And Poser doesn't have a problem with any of them. Including Virus/Firewall and Ad-Aware. I've run Poser6 with 8 other apps running at the same time including Photoshop. No problem. Okay, I didn't try any massive renders, but still. Win2K. :] Fish

yggdrasil ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 7:40 AM

No problem with my Wacom Intuos 3 and Poser 6.

Mark

babydollTX ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 10:29 AM

Intuos 2, I shut down tablet.exe, and sure enough, that was the culprit. Shee-it. That's a serious quality of life issue.

Migal ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 10:53 AM

No big deal. It's not like artists are candidates to use a Wacom or something.

babydollTX ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 11:20 AM

Hey there, handsome. So much for doing postwork on one thing while rendering another. I'm sure they'll have a patch for it. Someday. Maybe.

EricJ ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 11:28 AM

Check for updated Wacom drivers.

babydollTX ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 11:37 AM

They're up to date. (Nov. 11, 2004)

Jackson ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 1:59 PM

It's a big deal to me...I use my Wacom all the time in Poser (and most everything else). I could never go back to a mouse or trackball for two major reasons: 1) They don't afford near enough control and 2) extreme pain in hand after about an hour using mouse or trackball.

TSHamby ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 5:45 PM

I am having a similar issue, whenever I attempt to save a render P6 is crashing to the desktop. I have a Wacom Grapphire as well. Wierdness!

uli_k ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 7:32 PM

Attached Link: http://www.curiouslabs.com/article/articleview/18?sbss=435

Danava, TSHamby, maccaroni, babydollTX, please contact Curious Labs tech support through http://www.curiouslabs.com/article/articleview/18?sbss=435 and describe your problems to allow further investigation. Thanks a lot, Uli

Danava ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 7:51 PM

Well, although it WAS true that shutting down tablet.exe was fixing it, I thought before I emailed CuriousGeorgeLabs I would bring my Nvidia drivers up to current so as to avoid them telling me that. Guess what?? 66.93 updated to 71.84 and I no longer have to close down tablet.exe. I feel like a dork for not eliminating that FIRST. I should know better. Anyway, hope that helps someone else. Happy rendering.

uli_k ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:11 PM

Thanks Danava for the update. I'm glad to hear the problem is solved for you.

TSHamby ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:11 PM

I always contact tech support, but I check these forums as well...hehe. My problem was a faulty install due the McAfee firewall playing havoc with some files...whoops!

babydollTX ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2005 at 8:17 PM

Look ma, I'm rendering - and with my Wacom running, too. So far so good, anyway. ;) Thanks for the heads up on the Nvidia drivers.

Nance ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 1:12 AM

Thanks also for the nVidia tip. (btw - The screen magnifyer in this version is quicker and easier to get in & out of, so now I can actually use it to read all Poser's teenie-tiny funky fonts on non-contrasting backgrounds.)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 7:53 AM

Funny how it is the little things... like being able to read the fonts, or telling it to quit a search and having it obey (wow!), or compare renders with a flick of a slider.... :) My workbeasts don't have firewalls or anti-spyware or whatever since they are never connected to the Internet. This old WIN98 box does connect... but nothing is networked to it. It has a CD burner. I'd rather hand-carry a disk than leave my system open to whomever next exploits a backdoor. Having an old sacrificial "Internet box" is always an option. That way you can read email and browse the forums while a render is brewing, or be reading a tutorial on one monitor while working on another. Norton used to be wonderful... a real life and hair saver... but something happened a few years back. Norton's disk-scanning tools keep throwing up false messages and don't repair things they said they repaired. After a few go-rounds, I decided that I just can't trust it implicitly anymore. Since so many applications say to turn off Norton or anti-virus when installing them, there must be a reason why they interfere. It might be due to the monitoring process, but then CleanSweep and such utilities would also get in the way. Carolly

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.