Tue, Oct 22, 2:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 8:28 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: P5 Dynamic Hair Fix

ynsaen ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 2:41 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:30 AM

One of the issues I've been very privileged to have been working on with P5 is trying to figure out why the damned things take so very long to load up if you download them or purchase them. In general, dynamic hair should load in not much more than 5 seconds, but most available hair loads in times far longer than that on most systems. The issue does not typically occurr on the machine used to create the hair, either, but on other machines to which the hair is exported. This load time issue makes dynamic hair essentially a great big hairy pain the whosits, and likely is part of the reason folks don't use it often. The fix for it, however, is simple. The cause I leave to the really smart folks here! The issue is a line that is the hr2 file at least once for each group, and references a file created (I believe) during the dynamics calculation phase, that is deleted by Poser on exit. The fix is, prior to release, to open the hr2 file in a text editor with seach and replace capabilities and search out the lines that begin with the term "hairCacheFile". Delete these lines wherever they occur (but do not delete any of the line below it containing a bracket), and save. The catch is that you can't open the file to be sent out back up again, or Poser inserts that line once more! So for testing, a copy of the fix would have to be used. This fix has been verified several times on several different configurations of machines, and works every time. I've waited a week to post this while I worked on a couple other dynamic hair issues that were revealed in my testing for this, and if anything comes of them, I'll let ya'll know about them as well. I'd also like to point out that all of the Hair at RDNA loads incredibly fast on even a memory hobbled system (256 MB on XP with default settings), and all are currently "fixed". And they look great, too. Hope this helps folks out :)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

bip77 ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 9:02 PM

Unbelievable!!! Tested it - works! In my quick test loading time decreased from 14 seconds down to 4 seconds. You should post this in the main poser forum, too! Thank you very much! :-)

an0malaus ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2005 at 4:11 PM

@ynsaen Utmost gratitude for this. Had remembered seeing this post ages ago and just purchased Kirwyn's Genesys 2 Hair (inspired by drooling over the P6 forums while I wait for my box). Being on a Mac, the hairCacheFile path was invalid, of course, but while the loading slowdown may have been negligible, it seems to have stuffed up the saving of the dynamics. I could certainly see the dynamics during calculation, but as soon as that finished, the hair seemed to spring back to its default state. All went back to normal expectations when I removed the offending hairCacheFile line and tried again, yay!

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

ynsaen ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2005 at 5:02 PM

Thanks! What's rather nice is they incorporated this into the P6 release, so this issue is gone :D

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.