Wed, Sep 18, 5:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: 360 Degree ecosystem material function -- How?

dburdick ( ) posted Tue, 29 March 2005 at 4:09 PM ยท edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 7:19 AM

file_210517.jpg

Is is possible to cover the red ball with the green spikes completely using the V5I ecosystem material functions? It seems that the orientation is limited to 180 degrees of rotatation and therefore, will not cover the entire ball (only the top half). What I want to do ultimately is to create a hellraiser type character using V3 and Vue's ecosystem to graft spikes in V3's skin. Any ideas?

Message edited on: 03/29/2005 16:09

ChileanLlama ( ) posted Tue, 29 March 2005 at 4:11 PM

There's a thread over at eon's forum about this and it doesn't appear as though you can do it purely using the ecosystem. I guess you'd have to create two populated halves, invert one and join them back together as a workaround.

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 29 March 2005 at 4:17 PM

Ecosystems work as if you 'dropped' objects on your surface. I suspect it was easier to come up with a vertical drop above the horizontal plane of the ground instead of calculating the vertical direction across the whole surface of the object. You could create multiple spheres with ecosystems, turn their underlying material transparent (except for one) and superimpose them. Make sure to set the 'influenceof foreign objects' parameter to 0 when creating your ecosystems.

dadamson ( ) posted Tue, 29 March 2005 at 5:43 PM

What about changing the "direction from the surface" to 360 degrees. Looks like yours is still set at the default 20 degrees. I have not tried this, mind you but it would be my best guess.

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 4:59 AM

I tried this and it doesn't work. It just points the ecoobjects downward but still does not fill past the top of the equator -- thanks anyways

yggdrasil ( ) posted Wed, 30 March 2005 at 6:34 AM

I think I read somewhere that early versions of the Beta allowed the eco on all surfaces of the object, but it was too slow so they optimised to just 'top' surface.

Mark

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.