Sun, Oct 6, 4:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Email Notification of new Posts

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 3:07 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 2:17 AM

My email is having fits and is near death from all of the notifications I get. Twice today I was unable to send email and had to go to hotmail and play around with weird looking numbers and letters in order to gain access to my email account. I keep forgetting to uncheck the "notify" option in my posts, so I'm inundated with notices :( I've looked in the help area which states: [quote] If you select "Yes" here, you will be emailed any time someone else posts a new message in this forum. You will not be notified if someone posts a reply to a message, unless you already posted/replied to that message, and checked the "Email on Reply" checkbox.[/quote] However, I don't understand that statement at all. All I know is that I'm getting notifications of people's posts regardless of whether they pretain to me or not. Is there a way to turn that off so that I need to check the box if I WANT to get notified? I check the forums often enough at the moment that I don't need to be notified of new posts.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 3:26 AM

At the top of each forum there is a set of options which look like this: Message: [Top] [Read new messages] [Mark All Read] Email on Post : [No] Yes [Archive] [Post a new message] [Search] [Help] Click on the [No] on the "Email on Post" bit so it looks like this: Email on Post : No [Yes] That should fix it. Karen :-)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 3:41 AM

Quote - Email on Post : No [Yes]

Hmmm, I just checked and it was already like that. I changed it to Yes[No] to see if that helps. hopes the notifcations don't increase, lol

anxcon ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 10:54 AM

goto the main forum list ("forum" at top) then click options a long list of forums is there and check boxes each forum has an "email on post" thing uncheck em all if you dont want any

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 6:24 PM

Thank you :) Hopefully that will help. I wish there were a way that people could reply directly to a poster in the thread instead of just posting in "general". I don't mind getting replies if it's a post directly to me, but it's a bit much to make a post in a thread, and then find it's a popular thread and 200 people have replied, and I get all 200 notifications just because I forgot to uncheck "email me when someone replies", LOL PS: Hmmm, I just noticed, that the box in "notify" below the typing window is checked off...meaning that I'll get a notification of all replies to this thread still. Is there no way to turn that "default" check mark off so that I have to add it in if I want to receive replies? remembers to uncheck the box

Indoda ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2005 at 10:44 AM

Acadia: You've brought up an interesting point. I, like you, have forgotten to uncheck the box "Email me when someone replies" too. Changing the global [Yes][No] has no effect other than when set to "yes" you get notification of all mail. @Karen: Is this a glitch or something that needs to be explained more fully. I.E. remember to uncheck "Email me when someone replies" when adding to thread??

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

ratscloset ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2005 at 12:51 PM

I agree. Saying no to replies in Profile or in the Forum has no affect on the Box in each thread. The box is always checked. Makes me stay away from the Forums here most of the time.(Also, the fact that instead of scrolling through Headings of each thread, the pages contain all the posts as well for all the threads. If they got rid of that, they could fit 100 threads to a page. Also, once you forget, there is no way to stop watching a thread. RO is one of the oldest Artist Communities on the web and the Forums here prove it! ( Makes sure I remember to uncheck the box, even though I am not suppose to get replies. )

ratscloset
aka John

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2005 at 5:04 PM

Yeah, I too would like to see just the thread itself in flat view instead of expanded showing all of the replies. Some threads get so long that I have to scroll almost all the way down a 17" monitor to get to the next post. I haven't figured out these boards very well. At first I didn't know about clicking "mark all read", and was scrolling through many pages looking at posts because they didn't seem to bump their way to the top when replied to. Now that I found "mark all read", it's a bit better and I only see new posts. Renderosity is a large and complicated site and I love it, but I hate the way the boards work.

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2005 at 1:05 AM

The "Email on post" option simply effects whether you get an ebot for every new thread posted in the forum. It has no effect on whether you get ebots for replies to threads you've participated in. I would never recommend setting Email on Post on for the Poser forum. I've seen days here where it's run to over 100 new ones a day ;-)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2005 at 4:26 AM

Karen, that makes sense as you've explained it. I'm afraid that the whole business is a reflection of some of the problems of web-based forums, compared to NNTP (which does have provision for password-controlled access). And Renderosity is a long way from the worst I've seen.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.