Sun, Sep 22, 2:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: grabbing part of a model

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2001 at 10:30 PM ยท edited Wed, 07 August 2024 at 6:39 PM

How do I just grab and keep part of a model please? If I have an object and I want to grab a piece of it so I can slice it up to use in Poser how would I go about it. I'll take any help even if it's a pointer to a page in the manual or the Carrara 1 Bible, or dummies book or tutorial manual. 8^) Thanks, Marque

ClintH ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 7:03 AM

Marque - When you say grab a part of a model. Do you mean to take like the head from a figure and bring it into the modeler (vertex) by itself without the rest of the figure? Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 8:02 AM

Thanks Clint. No, say I have a plane, and I want to slice the prop so that I can make it rotate in Poser. Would I bring in the plane and slice it up somehow? I have Carrara, Lightwave, Truespace 4 (not installed right now) and C4D. Just wonder which would be best for something like this and how I would just slice that piece off so I can re-attach it under a different name so I can manipulate it in Poser. Bear with me, just woke up and no coffee yet. *^| Marque

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 10:40 AM

Uh, it's still not clear. Do you want to "hinge' your plane? if so, I'd simply make two equivalent objects. the point where the meet would be the point of rotation.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 10:52 AM

I'm not good enough to make two equivalent objects....I need to slice up an object that's been created already. I want to make it so I can rotate the props in an animation so it looks like it's flying. 8^) Marque

AzChip ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 11:30 AM

Just a stab at a suggestion. If you have the plane model and all you want in Poser is the propeller, take it into Carrara's vertex modeller (I don't know for sure if that's what it's called, as I have RayDream Studio, but it's basically the same thing). Go to a side view. Select all the verteces on the model except the propeller. Delete them. Leave the vertex modeller, then export the propeller as an .obj. If you need the rest of the plane you'd have to save working copies of the full model, do what I described for the propeller, but backwards -- that is to say, select only the propeller verteces and delete them. Hope this helps.

keithw ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 11:37 AM

Here's what I do. In the vertex modeler 1. select the polygons you want to detach. 2. use the detach command in the selection menu. 3. use the cut command 4. use the paste command By using cut and paste Carrara will allow you to name the now detached mesh. I find that naming the meshes makes selecting meshes in the vertex modeler a little easier. If you want the props as a separate vertex model you will have to add a vertex model to the assembly room and paste the detached mesh into it. I hope this all makes sense, I'm not real good at explaining things. Keith

graylensman ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 8:19 AM

Oh... Marque, when you said "plane" I thought you meant in the classical geometric sense, not a mode of transportation. Oops. Hope you were smarter than me and ignored my post. <:)

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 10:43 AM

roflmao....don't know how you could make that mistake the logic was in "plain" view! 8^) Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to give it a shot. Marque

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.