Thu, Oct 10, 6:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: P6...Toonsville ????

Dave-So ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 10:04 PM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 6:27 PM

It may be my lack of lighting expertise with P6, bbut most of the renders I make with it look very toony to me. I've tried using IBL AO on V3, for example..it washes out the sking to make a toon... The new folks, Jessi James look like toons when they render...and of course Laroo LE does as well...but she is a toon.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Dave-So ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 10:07 PM

file_215474.jpg

such as this

Fazzel ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 10:09 PM

Something weird about the hair. Like it is pushed too far back. I think she would look better if the hair fit.

Dave-So ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 10:11 PM

hair dont care..its the toon skin

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 10:16 PM · edited Tue, 05 April 2005 at 10:17 PM

Do you have bump map applied to the skin? Also, try using SSS and "specular only" lights. I've been rendering only realistic images with P6 so far, so I know it can be done.

I think the lack of shadows in your render above contributes to it's appearance. I don't think it looks like a toon, however. Just lacking some depth. Remember that IBL won't give any specularity by default. You can add more lights to the scene if necessary to achieve some extra highlights. The eyes, for example, need more specularity and the lips. Good bump mapping contributes greatly to realism as well.

Message edited on: 04/05/2005 22:17

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

LonRanger ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 12:19 AM

Looks like a toon to me.

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 12:45 AM

First, try turning on AO and raytracing, some shadows should give your scene a lot more depth. Then, try adding a regular light (and maybe reducing the IBL intensity a bit): That should add specular highlights and give it a less uniformly lit character.

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 6:20 AM

thanks..I'll give the suggs. a try.. SSS...this has caused my system to crash quite a bit.... in fact, I'm actually having a lot of problems running p6...extremely slow...loading characters and objects, rendering draft or final...very slow compared to P5... also, I'm getting out of memory errors with even small scenes There is a benchmark scene which I run in P5 in 1 min. 40 seconds. I ran it in P6..over 4 minutes... Not sure what's causing this...I've reinstalled twice now.. I have 1 gig ram...amd64/3200+ ...ATI 9600 vid.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 6:40 AM · edited Wed, 06 April 2005 at 6:42 AM

Dave, there's a known memory issue in P6 that CL has stated will be addressed in an upcoming service release. However, your situation sounds worse than any I've heard before. In most cases I've heard of, the memory problem will just cause Poser to slow down after a while, and will also cause out of memory messages on larger scenes when trying to render, etc., but nothing as extreme as what you seem to be going through. The worst I've had personally so far in P6 was a corrupt PZ3 which came after saving and getting an "out of memory" error at that time.

I wonder if your graphics card could be causing a problem? Could there be a conflict or some compatibility issue somewhere?

Message edited on: 04/06/2005 06:42

akura_ ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 7:19 AM

How do you set the AO?

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 7:30 AM · edited Wed, 06 April 2005 at 7:31 AM

"How do you set the AO?"

Easiest way is just to add a default IBL with AO light from the preset lights Poser 6 comes with, then just change the IBL image to whatever you want in the material room.

If you don't want to use IBL, just put a light in the scene, go to the light's properties palette, and turn on AO from the options. Remember, you have to render with "raytrace on" in Firefly to use AO. Message edited on: 04/06/2005 07:31

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.