Mon, Oct 21, 6:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 5:20 pm)

Subject: 3ds to obj file converter.....

Binx ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 12:46 PM · edited Fri, 19 July 2024 at 4:23 PM

I need a 3ds to obj file converte so I can uv map thing to texture and import into poser 4....what is the best program?

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 12:59 PM

Best I know is 3D Exploration. I think it can convert every thing except base metal into gold :)
philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 3:30 PM

Attached Link: http://Poppibird.webjump.com

I hope this doesn't sound really stupid, but I have Poser4 and just import 3ds files right into it. If you want to convert to .obj...just export them as wavefront.

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 5:27 PM

Hey Phil, You want this: http://www.alchemyexploration.com ;) Sorry, I'm bored!

BillyGoat ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 6:55 PM

Hey Poppi - I do the same; just import .3ds right into Poser 4. Do you have to convert it to an .obj to get a texture template out of it? Wait a minute - is that the only way to get a 'texture map'? Cause if it is it will explain why Phil textured a lamp for me when I posted a question asking 'how do I texture a .3ds object'... This is a major 'DUH' moment. Could someone explain this to me?

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 7:03 PM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It all seems to depend on whether it had UV coordinates to begin with. But without converting it to .obj and creating an editable UV map, you're pretty much SOL, as far as I understand it. --Mike

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 7:05 PM

Do you have to convert it to an .obj to get a texture template out of it? That is a "yes"...then, you use the uvmapper so it will line up (hopefully ;)right. As for the second part...lol...well, I am lost, now. And, I HATE BEING stuck on stupid.

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 7:15 PM

Attached Link: http://www.uvmapper.com

Converting it to .ob and running it through UV Mapper is the only way I know how to do it, to end up with an editable template. The link above is to the oficial website of Steve Cox' UV Mapper. he's a great guy and if you email him with specific questions, he WILL answer them. :) --Mike

BillyGoat ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 7:28 PM

MJ - he doesn't have time for all my questions! I'm kinda lost now too. I hate being stuck in NEWBIE land. I have the program, tried to follow a tutorial for making the p4fem catsuit into a sleeveless turtleneck sweater... with UV Mapper. Most people here are so advanced, they leave out little tiny steps (the ones that get from here to there) cause they are so used to doing it. I tried using the maps from Kozaburo to make hair... I sat and cried. Can you explain how these texture have such fine detail? Like the edges of sleeves, and necklines? Are they scans? How do they look so real? thanks for helping

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 7:49 PM

hmm. BG, i'd have to get back to you on that one, because I don't want to give wrong info, and honestly I don't mess with it that much since my prefferrred renderer can take care of all that automatically by editing materials and functions. With Poser, a UV template is an absolute essential thing, when it comes to texturing, but not so with other 3D software. Be not discouraged, though. I am not an expert at texturing , but many here ARE, and will happily give you well-informed info. Write to Steve Cox. Believe me, he's alot more approachable than you might think. Ask questions here, too, of course. Specific questions. I'm afraid that any answers I might give you might be more akin to my own observations/suppositions, rather than actual Poser fact. Possibly, write to Syyd--there is a woman who most definitely really knows about texturing. And if you can get Jaager's attention, ask HIM-- 'nuff said---you WILL be told the right way and you WILL understand! But as for me,I am but a Poser peon, still with far more questions of my own than answers! --Mike

BillyGoat ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 7:57 PM

Are you a Bryce guru? I'm trying to learn that 1 too. I appreciate your answers - I learn a lot from the posts you answer. Thanks!

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 8:04 PM

file_143656.jpg

Oh, boy...Here I go. I had Poser 1, for ages and ages and made do with it. Now, I have 4....It is much better than 1, BUT...and here is the but...Most of the clothing looks like well...plastic clothing on plastic people...and the HAIR...forget about it!!! I got so used to painting on my own clothing and hair, that, well...I still do. I spent 3 weeks, at least figuring out all that uvmapping and stuff. Guess what? So much of Poser still looks fake, no matter what you do with it...Exception...The Amidala dress, and the long dress...The only 2 that I have even gotten from others that I would put on a graphic.

joeyb ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 10:39 PM

Poppi, Hang in there. I haven't done a lot here yet, but I've seen work from artists like LadyLight. I think she said she does all her renders and lighting in Poser. At any rate, her stuff is fantastic. Keep reading here, and trying it out, you'll bet better as you go. :-)

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 10:57 PM

"Bryce Guru"? Hardly! I have Bryce 4, yes, but I rarely use it for actual finished works. And that's mostly because I found something I find to be easier and I'm able to us quicker. But that's a personal preference, and not a "fact". If you want to learn about Bryce, as you've probably noticed by now there is a Bryce forum here too. :) Moderated by a guy named Fast Traxx. He definitely knows his sh*t, as do seemingly most of the regulars there, so that's where to ask your Bryce-related questions, trust me. --Mike

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.