Sun, Oct 6, 6:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Stuck on a Dynamic Clothing Tutorial... need some help

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 1:07 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:19 AM

Attached Link: http://www.poserfashion.net/howvic3dress1.htm

I don't get it. What is the pupose of the animation portion at the bottom of that tutorial? It says to set it to 30 of 60, but for what purpose? Is my vicky supposed to be dancing around like in the intro for that tutorial? If so, she isn't, so I don't understand the animation part of this tutorial. Do you have to do this animation stuff each time you clothify something?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 1:10 AM · edited Tue, 19 April 2005 at 1:14 AM

Oh yeah, one other thing.

I returned to the pose room to pose vicky, only to have her dress fall off completely, and even when I zero her pose, the dress remains almost around the waist. I can move the dress back up to where it is supposed to be, but the dress doesn't pose along with the figure when I pose her.

Message edited on: 04/19/2005 01:14

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 2:40 AM

He says make 60 frames and put your pose at frame 30, the dress probably needs 30 drape frames to look it`s best. Maybe it is a mistake, you should only need 30 frames if your pose is at frame 30. Try moving the dress back up and setting the parent for the dress, again. It seems to be a small bug, unless it is supposed to happen.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:05 AM

I'll try another tutorial there and see what happens. Maybe it's just that tutorial. My first venture into the cloth room and I'm totally demoralized from the experience, LOL

Richard T ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:33 AM

Attached Link: http://www.laroo2.com/tut/cloth/index.html

http://www.laroo2.com/tut/cloth/index.html Here is another one which may be handy.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:58 AM

Attached Link: http://www.morphography.uk.vu/clothroom.html

Yes, the animation is an essential part of getting the cloth to drape properly, because it takes time to do. If you were doing a still image, you'd normally render just the last frame of your animation. My Bare Bones Cloth Room Tutorial may be less intimidating. Or it may not. ;)

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 6:30 AM

Don't give up. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

Yes, you do need to run the full animation. At least, you should. Generally, you'll want 20 or 30 frames after the pose, to let the cloth "settle." You can then choose the frame that looks best, and render that one.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 1:47 PM

I've never done animation in Poser, so that part is confusing to me. It said to load Vicky at frame 30, but other than sticking in numbers at the bottom like they show in the tutorial image (30 and 60), I have no idea how to do that, or where to do that.... I did it in the Cloth room and I saw the dress moving a little. But when I went to the pose room, the numbers in the animation area were different. So I added 30 and 60 in there. Posed Vicky (the dress didn't pose and fell off) When I pressed play, the dress stayed where it fell, and vicy moved very very fast, but jerky movements. So I have no idea about this tutorial. Why can't I get the dress to stay on? I can slide it on and off with the mouse. Is there something else you have to do with the dress other than what is in the tutorial? I tried to parent it, but there is no figure in the menu to parent it to, just cameras, no central vicky figure.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:10 PM

You don't load Vicky at frame 30. You pose Vicky at frame 30. Go to frame 30, then apply the pose you want to Vicky, the way you always do.

The dress should fit Vicky at frame 1. It won't fit her at frame 30...until you run the cloth sim/animation. :-)

When you set up the cloth simulation, you will tell Poser what you want the dress to collide against. Pick Vicky. This should keep the dress from sliding to the floor, and should also make the dress follow Vicky's pose.

wdupre ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 3:21 PM

I think the misunderstanding is the nature of a clothified piece of clothing, once clothified it does not mean that it will take any pose that you give it in the pose room. the cloth item remains a static item and does not conform with each movement unless you run a new set of calculations in the cloth room each time you repose the figure.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 10:17 PM

Gah, you all lost me :( Here is exactly what I did, maybe someone can tell me what I didn't do and when :) 1. Opened Poser. Vicky already in window with IK off and zero'd pose; 2. Went to Library/Props and found the dress. Added it to the scene. It fit perfectly; 3. Went to Cloth Room; 4. Create a new simulation with 60 frames. Check Cloth self-collision. Don't use Drape frame as your cloth already fit to the zero pose. 5. Clothify the dress 6. Click collide against, check your figure (Victoria), let the default parameters, uncheck "start draping from pose", check the 3 "ignore collision" boxes. Now this is where I get lost....it goes into animation. So this is what I did: A) Opened Animation area at bottom. Typed in 30 and 60 respectively B) Pressed "Play" and saw the dress moving a small amount; C) Went back to Pose room, applied a premade dance pose (Dress fell down to around the waist); D) Went to animation area at bottom and saw that the numbers there were different than in the Cloth Room. Changed numbers to 30 and 60 respectively E) Pressed Play. Dress stayed around waist not moving, figure did a few jerky movements from arms straight out to the side to above her head. That's exactly what I did. I didn't leave anything out. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong from that?

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 10:24 PM

Okay, you're on the right track! Steps 1-6 are correct. Next... The animation area at the bottom has two numbers. The first is the frame, the second is the total number of frames. Set the second number to 60. Then set the first number to 30. You are now on Frame 30 of 60. Apply the pose you want.

Then go back in the cloth room, and click the Calculate Simulation button.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 10:37 PM

Quote - Next... The animation area at the bottom has two numbers. The first is the frame, the second is the total number of frames. Set the second number to 60. Then set the first number to 30. You are now on Frame 30 of 60. Apply the pose you want.

Ahhh, ok. I applied the pose in the pose room first before changing the numbers in the animation area. Also, I didn't know about the calculate simulation in the cloth room, the tutorial didn't mention that. I'll try that and see if it works. Thanks :)

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 10:55 PM

Hmm. Looking at the tutorial, I guess it would be kind of confusing. You do need to hit the calculate simulation button. Make sure the dress is selected, or you won't be able to click the button. :-)

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 11:34 PM

It worked!!! When I viewed the simulation the dress stayed on and moved with the figure. I then went to the pose room and the image was at the last frame; the one I would render. I'll have to do it a few more times to get the hang of it because it's a bit confusing, but it worked! I'm going to try some of the other tutorials for dynamic clothing there too; some don't readily fit like this dress did. Thanks for your help :)

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 11:35 PM

How do you render an animation though?

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 11:44 PM

Glad it worked! It will get easier and less confusing after you've done it a couple of times.

To render an animation, click on Animation -> Make Movie. You'll get a menu where you can choose various settings. For format, I usually use Image Files, because if Poser crashes, you can easily continue. (Image files is just a series of images, that you can put together later using a program like GIF Animator.) To make a real movie, choose AVI. For Renderer...if you choose Firefly or P4, it will use the settings you have set for still images for Firefly or P4. Preview will render in preview mode, which is faster but won't look as good.

You might want to reduce the quality settings a bit for animation. It will speed things up, and you really don't need the kind of detail for animation that you do for stills. Especially if you're going to post the movie to the Web.

The other settings are pretty self-explanatory, I think. You can set the size, pick the frames you want to render, etc.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Fri, 02 September 2005 at 10:27 PM

To render an animation, you import your animation pose of however many frames AT frame 30 and run the simulation. It takes the first 30 frames just to get the clothing fitting the character, the next 30 frames it follows the body animation. To make an animation, when it comes time to select "Make Movie" You start the animation rendering at frame 30 where the dress has finally fit the character and it will go from there.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.