Thu, Sep 19, 10:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Chess Set Challenge

Kixum ( ) posted Sun, 17 April 2005 at 7:34 PM ยท edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:38 PM

file_222503.jpg

Ever notice how everybody fusses with chess sets? Well I thought it would be fun to make my own. Here's the result. 1 hour, 37 minutes, COMPLETELY from scratch (modeling time only). Rendering was another 30 minutes because I'm picky and it takes a while to get stuff set up the way I like it. Let's see what other people have! -Kix

-Kix

Kixum ( ) posted Sun, 17 April 2005 at 7:35 PM

file_222505.jpg

Another view.

-Kix

Kixum ( ) posted Sun, 17 April 2005 at 7:36 PM

file_222508.jpg

And a final view. -Kix

-Kix

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2005 at 2:44 AM

Cheezz! I do not even have an analog chess set in the house. I should be ashamed of myself. I think I want to do one, but then a re-invention of it. Every 3D lover has to do a chess set at least once in his or her life, I think.

falconperigot ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 1:26 PM

Followed by the sad robot. :) Great set, Kix!

sdnoble ( ) posted Thu, 21 April 2005 at 8:48 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=938557

file_222510.jpg

You're right Hoof, every 3D lover should do a chess set. This was surprisingly satisfying, thanks for the challenge Kix.

There's an odd angle render of this in my gallery on the link attached.

Scott

sdnoble ( ) posted Thu, 21 April 2005 at 8:51 PM

A closer look at the pieces

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 21 April 2005 at 10:20 PM

Nice. I want one.

sailor_ed ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 5:11 AM

Very cool!

Sardtok ( ) posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 10:31 AM

Oooh, Modernistic (or maybe those would be postmodernistic) chess pieces. Love those, they have a lot of funk, they stay simple like the classic ones, while having some very funky shapes. Love them... ;)

sdnoble ( ) posted Sun, 24 April 2005 at 2:22 AM

That image is now my first Hot 20 hit in 4 years at Renderosity !

Zekaric ( ) posted Sun, 24 April 2005 at 6:32 PM

Kixim, small problem with your set. King and queen are in the wrong place and they are lined up on the wrong side. Ok, being fussy. Both look good. Sdnobles looks very elegant. Sdnoble, how did the close up switch the king and queen? Yet it's fine in the first render. Still working on mine. Never made a chess set before in 3D. I guess it's about time. Is there a time limit of 30 min? If so I've blown it easily. :P

sdnoble ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 1:57 AM

I rendered the close-up first and realised I had it wrong......

Kixum ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:53 AM

No time limits, just fun! Awesome chess set up there! Nice render. I did notice that I have my King and Queen reversed after I posted. Good catch! Keep em coming! -Kix

-Kix

Zekaric ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 3:37 PM

file_222516.jpg

May addition to the chess set chest. Pretty fun task. Took about a day to model. Rendering a close up at the moment.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 3:39 PM

Excellent!

Sardtok ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 5:44 PM

Very funky mix of abstract and futuristic. I especially like the mechanical feel of the board and the consistency in style on the pieces.

Zekaric ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 5:58 PM ยท edited Mon, 25 April 2005 at 6:05 PM

file_222518.jpg

da close up.

Everything done with the vertex modeller. Some simple boolean subtraction for some parts but most are actually quick and dirty modelled. Meaning, I didn't bother to make them perfect; the black rook for instance, there are actually a couple of pipes intersecting itself instead of one clean mesh. You'd probably see that if I made the solid glass or something.

A bit of a shame you don't seem much of the tressle work under the board. Ah well. Small part of the whole anyway.

But man, those tiny screews on the corner really slowed the render down. :/

Message edited on: 04/25/2005 18:05

sailor_ed ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 7:31 PM

These chess sets are astounding designs. I am really impressed! I won't even attempt this challenge!

Sardtok ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 5:41 PM

Hmm, I really want to do something like this... Just have to come up with a style... But are we supposed to use Carrara or Amapi and Carrara? ;)

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 5:44 PM

Any and all of the above!

Magnavox ( ) posted Fri, 20 January 2006 at 2:08 AM

I'm making a shareware chess game that will support 16 players on the same board and am looking for interesting chess sets. Is anyone here willing to donate their chess sets in return for named credit (including website or email)?

Reply ---> tlwitness@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Jerry

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.