Thu, Sep 19, 4:53 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Might be useful - freeware programs

Erlik ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 4:13 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:53 PM

City Gen, a program to create cities. Unfortunately, it works only in POV-Ray format. I cannot download it at the moment, but check it out.

Helixir, a program to create helixes and seashell shapes. Quite similar to Spiralizer, but better behaved. Saves in UDO/INC format, POV-Rays formats.

Tons of programs freeware, shareware and commercial. You've got LaFont, apparently similar to Elefont. You've got PFE, which does the same thing... And they've got a link to Bryce 4. :-)

-- erlik

Erlik ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 8:03 AM

Attached Link: http://user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/

You just have to search... :-) This is a program to convert various formats into POV-Ray, but it can also take POV/INC and convert them to OBJ

-- erlik

bandolin ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 8:54 AM

What is POV-Ray exactly?

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

adh3d ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:02 AM

It is a free raytracer render www.pov-ray.org

adh3d website

ysvry ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:06 AM

thx erlik was just looking for a pov to obj exporter. looks like a handy little app. band: pov (persitance of vision) is a raytracer of the old days free offcourse.

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

ysvry ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 9:36 AM
pakled ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 10:33 AM

If it's the one I remember (POVray), it uses a 'c-code' like language to make renders..nice pictures, but too much typing for me..;) Have Citygen and Helixer..I've got about 400 links for various free programs, but could always stand a few more..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 5:35 PM

POV = Perstistance of Vison Excellent Render program speedy too for the quality it renders. However it is script based, and I'm afraid I'm getting to old and dont have the patients to learn it.

jancory ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 8:48 PM

i had to give up trying to learn povray when i started dreaming in script..........lightning fast renders though, & lots of fun customizing.

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

danamo ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 8:53 PM

Attached Link: POVtree

file_226554.jpg

Hey thanks Erlik! I was looking for a good POV-to-.obj conversion program! There is a very interesting tree making program for POV called POV-tree. It makes some fantastic trees, even if they are very poly heavy. I was able to convert the output thanks to that program you pointed out. Some of the output rivals X-frog in detail.This is the "olive tree" preset.

Quest ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2005 at 11:36 PM

Erlik, thanks very much for these programs! Went off and downloaded CityGen and Poseray right away. I played with Citygen and exported a .pov file. Ran Poseray and tried to import the .pov file so that I could export out as an .obj file to Bryce. Poseray could not import the .pov file from Citygen. Error messages came up saying file has no vertices and file has no faces. I believe that the .pov file saved by Citygen is an ascii file and not a binary and therefore Poseray does not recognize it. Do you know of any file conversion program that would convert a .pov ascii file to binary?

lordstormdragon ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 2:26 AM

No luck getting POV Tree to run here, it comes up only as a PowerArc file, and when I tried to run it from a command line it simply tried to unzip it? Looks pretty cool, though!

Kathye ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 6:06 AM

Oh, that's excellent! I'd written to the author of POV-tree a couple of weeks ago asking her about the greyed out obj export format and she'd said she had no plans to implement that in the future. I'd done google searches in detail to find a POV-ray to Bryce compatible format but the only one I'd come up with just wouldn't play ball. This time I've been able to get the trees into Bryce no bother. :)

lordstormdragon ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 8:03 AM

Hell with that, I can't even get the program to open. Here I am clicking away in the most advanced program ever written for a PC, and I can't even open this wicked-looking tree-maker! GAH! If it's a text-based program, someone please tell me right now, so I can discontinue any further concern for it?

ysvry ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 8:21 AM
lordstormdragon ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 8:28 AM

Aye, I've got that. Alas, PowerArchiver doesn't seem to be allowing my file-types to share with other programs... (shakes his head)

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 8:37 AM

Quest, POV is an ascii format, AFAIK. POB is binary.

Try 3DWin. It's free to try and 29 euros to register.

You can try Crossroads, it can read POV, too and export into OBJ, 3DS, COB and WRL. The author's page is dead and I found this one. The program was freeware.

-- erlik

herbicide ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 9:03 AM

Attached Link: http://p081.ezboard.com/fnosgothfrm14.showMessage?topicID=120.topic

just found one - follow the link.

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 1:47 PM

Hmmm, that is odd Lordstormdragon. I already had Java installed because I needed it to run "Arbaro", another Java-based tree making app which is quite good. Can you tell I'm nuts about trees,lol? I downloaded the zip to my documents, unzipped it it with no probs, dbl. clicked on the file called "povtree.jar" and the app opened with a nicely designed and easy to use graphic interface. I clicked on a preset and tweaked it a little and from there exporting was a doddle. I have found that sometimes I need to add ".inc" to the model name so that the POV-to-.obj conversion proggie will recognise it.

Quest ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 4:39 PM

Danamo, thanks for that link too, Povtree. I downloaded it and had no problem converting Olive tree in Poseray to an .obj file. I then imported into 3DS Max and put it through Polygon cruncher and reduced it from 256,156 polys to just slightly over 66,000. Havent taken a close look yet to see deformation but generally looks good at the glance. Im sorry Erlik, I know from paste experience that the original Pov-ray was ascii but I was of the impression for some reason that over the years they improved over the code by adding binary to later formats. Oh well, guess Im wrong and Ive been barking up the wrong tree in looking for an ascii to binary converter. Ive still not been able to convert the Citygen exported file with Poseray to .obj. I also tried Crossroads before I posted here to no avail. I could view the olive tree converted to .obj (mentioned above) with Poseray in 3D Exploration but it will not show the CityGen exported .Pov file. So CityGen must be exporting at some other, perhaps earlier .pov format that is not recognized by either 3D Exploration, Crossroads or Poseray. Is that possible? Have you been successful with it? If you have, how did you manage it? When Pov-tree saved the olive tree to pov-ray format, it placed an .inc extension on the exported file which was then read and converted by Poseray to .obj format. So am I right in assuming that .inc and .pov are both Pov-ray formats of a different flavor?

lordstormdragon ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2005 at 6:36 PM

I may have to make a decision between PowerArchiver, which I use every single day, and POV-Tree, which I'll probably use pretty often...

herbicide ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 12:40 PM

POV is the code that produces the image, INC (include) is the thing that tells it what to do/add in certain scenes.

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 4:18 PM

The question remains, why doesn't Poseray convert CityGen pov-ray exports and why can't Crossroads or 3D exploration see them eighter? Poseray, Crossroads and 3D Exploration can all handle Povtree pov-ray files with no problem.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.