Mon, Oct 21, 9:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Brief FX tute - muzzle flashes, smoke, blasts, bolts...

thip ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 12:50 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 9:46 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

Attached Link: "Boarding Party" by SoulTaker

file_229019.jpg

Had a few IM's about the FX in my humble comic. I'm no expert, but none of the experts seem to have posted such a tute lately, so I thought I'd start one while we wait ;o) SoulTaker has kindly permitted me to use a WIP image of his :

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=919747

...as a base. Any suggestions will be more than welcome, we all struggle with this FX stuff. The FX here are a bit heavy-handed, for clarity, but once you have practiced a bit, it's easy to make things smaller (or bigger, as the case and need may be). The point is that these FX call for no experience at drawing or painting. Such skills certainly come in handy, but there's a lot of artists out there who do superb images without'em ;o)

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 1:09 PM

I'm on board for this...have an animation that needs some dust kicking up from the fall of a heavy object. Buuuttttttt....this seems to be a 'postwork' tutorial, no? I can't find the paint can in poser. Cool scene! ::::: Opera :::::

thip ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 1:13 PM

Definitely postwork - it's Paint Shop Pro, BTW. Might work for animation if you "faded in" and "faded out" a muzzle flash over, say, 10 images, but I am definitely no expert at anim FX ;o)

jwiest ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 1:38 PM

OOh...this is great stuff. If I ever get some time to do postworking, I'd find this really handy. Thanks!

John

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 1:48 PM

"I'm on board for this...have an animation that needs some dust kicking up from the fall of a heavy object." Look into Particle Illusion. It's a great "affordable" particle simulator that can do muzzle flashes and the dust that you want to have in your animations. Yes, it is a seperate app to poser, and you'd be doing it in post, but it's a very easy app to learn. The results can be quite visually pleasing as well.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Berserga ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 2:33 PM

Ouch... $400 Just for particles. Ah well it produces good results If you don't have any compositing software Opera I would once again suggest Bahuhaus software's Mirage. It does particles, Paint, compositing, 2d animation, any any number of other post effects. It costs Twice as much as particle illusion though, but is worth every penny if you are really serious about animation.

SoulTaker ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 2:52 PM

thanks thip, this is just what i have been looking for. i must say it is very good of you

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 2:53 PM

Berserga, I have still not pulled the trigger on my compositing software. But the time is approaching. Will definitely look into your suggestion (which is in my budget range) and thank you. Is Mirage powerful for ripping out to DVD formats? One reason I have been holding back: might move out of Poser into 3DSMax or Maya or ? and would that cover me for compositing....probably not, but might drive choice of compositing software. Also, since I have another 'channel' in situ, namely a major Mac G5 with lottsa RAM and HD, plus Logic (major music 'compositing' software) and a good friend/mentor on Mac/FinalCutPro/After Effects, that may influence my choice. ::::: Opera :::::

Berserga ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 3:17 PM

Compositing software should have no influence on your 3d app, since in a compositor you are dealing with already rendered material. (Though Mirage does have good integration with Lightwave (Including a 3d paint plugin) Not sure what you mean about "Ripping out to DVD" Mirage is perfectly capable of producing content for DVDs (Indie animator Terrence walker has put out 2 DVDs with the progenetor software of Mirage which was sold by Newtek under the name Aura) If you mean MPEG 2 compression, I HIGHLY reccomend you get a dedicated encoder. I use TMPGEnc.

thip ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 3:23 PM

Attached Link: Movie FX

Depending on your needs, you might want to check out some of the FX on sale in the Marketplace. JPeter has a number of "Poser Movie FX" paks on sale - some of the paks are for static images, too. And no, I'm not on his payroll ;o)

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 3:47 PM · edited Wed, 27 April 2005 at 3:52 PM

"Compositing software should have no influence on your 3d app"

I disagree (sort of). A 3D app with powerful and extensive G-Buffer output capability is far more beneficial to video editing, especially for compositing. Poser has very little in the way of render passes. P6 offers a "shadow only" pass, which is a step forward, but for compositing, I like to have diffuse, specular, shadows, key lights, Z-depth, alpha, velocity (for simulated motion blur), and ambient all in seperate render passes...

In a decent 3D app, you only really need to do a single pass, and it can seperate all those channels for you automatically. In Poser, you'd have to render multiple times, and change the scene specs for each one. That's some major wasted time there. Plus, you don't really have a good way to get half of the channels you may need or want. Opera, only XSI (that I know of) has an integrated post-compositing suite built into the app. The rest can output to various formats with G-Buffer data seperated, which is GREAT for putting them all together in a good video editor, but they don't have native post processing composite addons, if that's what you're asking. Message edited on: 04/27/2005 15:52

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 4:07 PM

Yes, I asked it in a clumsy newbie way! Ripping indeed!

OddDitty ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 4:07 PM

Attached Link: Odd Ditty Foundry

file_229021.jpg

Odd Ditty foundry has effects of a more magical sort available both here and at our home site as well. We, however, are on the payroll.

Berserga ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 4:16 PM

Ah yes you are right of course, about the G-buffer stuff. It's not something I think about much though since I'm pretty much stuck with lower end 3d apps, and Things like depth of field can already be faked pretty easy in mirage by simply animation gaussian blur to different degrees on different layers.

DrunkMonkey ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 4:16 PM

Ooo, too cool. Any chance you might clue us in on doing word ballons that don't have that tacked on as an after thought look?

thip ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2005 at 4:55 PM

Attached Link: Comics page setup tute

A "balloon and stuff" tute is more a Comics Forum subject, but since you ask ;o)

Naladae ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 6:07 AM

file_229022.jpg

Nice postwork effects! You could also composite in images created with the likes of Jepes FX packs (available in the marketplace, and no, I'm not on the payroll!) This one was done with the WAR pack.

Naladae ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 6:08 AM

file_229023.jpg

...and this one was done with the Pyrotechnica pack (not by Jepes - it's some nice static images for compositing with).

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 6:43 AM

Opera; A couple of things glossed over about Particle Illusion: 1) If you have a .avi of your intended video, you can input it as the background and adjust your effects on a frame by frame basis, then output the two as a composite. 2) PI also supports multi-channel output (alpha, Zdepth, etc), for use in the better compositers. 3) There are several libraries of effects for free download from the PI site, and you can learn a lot by examining them and tweaking the values. 4) The demo =DOES NOT= do the actual program justice. The library included is more toy effects than anything, much of the actual capability of the program is locked or disabled (no adjustment of the emitters, for example).

thip ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 7:51 AM

You just can't keep a good pak down ;o) I use both the paks you describe. When placed in separate layers and combined with a bit of one's own airbrushing and blurring, etc. , there's next to nothing that can't be done. And I'm no on the "Pyrotechnica" creator's payroll, either ;o)

operaguy ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:24 AM

thanks Dale

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.