Sun, Sep 22, 4:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: continuing GrayLensman's UV mapping saga: book II

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 7:33 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:29 AM

file_145216.jpg

Okay. Did a little digging, and discovered most of my problem with UV Mapper. To borrow from HAL 9000, it's attributed to "human error." So, I got the map to work properly in UVM, colored it in Photoshop, etc. Imported the UV model OBJ into RDS 5.0.4, applied the map. What I discovered herer is: the map is fine, but the object is missing a polygon!! Check the image: the first pic on left shows one side of the object, everything is fine (except the map is backward, but I can fix that in Photoshop). But the other side of the object, it looks funny. Upon further examination, it seems that there's a missing polygon. With this object, i can get by for now (i just need the one side). But can anyone shed insight on the prob? Steve/Clint: where can i get the OBJ import/export 5.0.3 extension? thanks again!!

AzChip ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 10:38 AM

In which modeler did you make the object? I can't imagine a situation in the free-form modeler that would delete one of the faces of the model. But I don't know the Mesh Form modeler very well....

elgeneralisimo ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 10:45 AM

It may be a reversed normal.

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 11:21 AM

Chip, the original object was created in the free form modeler, then exported as an OBJ; run thru UVM; reimported into RDS. At that point it's a mesh form object. And it imports with one face missing. I'm with you - I don't know the mesh form modeler very well, either, so playing around with the obj in that modeler produced some rather bizarre results. Generalisimo, when you say "a reversed normal" are you referring to the whole obj or just a portion? I know there's a setting in UVMapper to reverse the normals, but I assume that affects the entire object.

ClintH ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 11:25 AM

gray - Bring the OBJ into RDS. Open the OBJ in the Mesh Form Modeler. Select the missing Polygon and then do a Reverse Polymesh Normals inside the Mesh Form room. See if that helps. I've seen this many times before. Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.