Thu, Sep 19, 12:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:30 am)

Subject: Merchants with class...

BillyGoat ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 2:27 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 10:56 PM

There are only a handful of them, but it's so nice when they contact you and thank you for your purchase. I remember those people when I shop here. (Ms)BillyGoat

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 3:41 PM

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Many have complained about the IM's thanking for a purchase. I've seen so many of them that it's simply safer not to.

...... Kendra

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 4:25 PM

You are right BillyGoat, it is a pleasure to get a thank you, many from here do that when I purchase items and many from other sites. I don't care if I get an IM or an email...the thanks is great. Sharen

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 4:29 PM

I get thank yous about half the time....and I always appreciate it. I may not always respond, but it does make me feel as if the merchant appreciates my business. Too bad people take it as an annoyance when someone is showing good manners. Maybe they just buy so much from the Marketplace that it is a problem for them.

Lawndart ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 4:56 PM

I never respond to them because I don't feel I need to but I appreciate getting them. It really helps in putting a "human" aspect to all the 1's and 0's that computers dish out. It's like a waitress writing a thank you with a smiley face on the back of a restaurant bill. Did you know that on average the waitresses that do that get larger tips? Interesting.

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 5:04 PM

I knew I overtipped when a waiter followed me out into the parking lot, and thanked me for what I left. I do know that now I look for a merchant's name more than I did before when an item comes up for sale. This is partly because I recognize someone who does work I like, but also because I feel as if I have more of a relationship with some merchants than others. That little note helps a lot. One vendor, now modeling in the heavens, would even write me when he saw I had used his models in my graphics in the gallery (when I still had one) or in a forum, and that meant a lot to me (not that I thought I was ever such hot stuff in doing the graphics, but that he noticed and commented sincerely). His like will never be seen again, I don't think.

elzoejam ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 6:42 PM

I do appreciate a thank you. And especially if I have taken the time to leave a glowing review. It kinda irks me when I don't get any acknowledgement at all, like it was just another $20 (or whatever) to them. I would rather know my business is appreciated :-) Just my opinion, of course... Sarah

blonderella ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 6:56 PM

the thought of getting a thankyou after purchasing someone's goods here has never crossed my mind, but I have never received a thankyou anyway...I wonder if it's a sad state of affairs that I simply accept the fact that the transaction and my handing my money over is a non personal event and that a thankyou from the vendor would likely take me aback, whereas it likely should be the other way around...I guess it would make me feel special and VERY appreciated if I got one though! you could bet your bottom dollar that the merchant would earn my respect and my future business too :)

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

muralist ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 8:25 PM

As a new merchant here I will be glad to thank you for your purchase, lol. Drop by my store and see!

Tunesy ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 8:33 PM

...I'm always happy when a merchant sends a 'thanks for purchase' email. It's a classy and peronal touch in an increasingly impersonal world. In fact, I got one from a merchant whose product I was kinda disappointed with, but he obviously put a lotta time into the product. I'll probably buy from him again, not because he's a particularly good artist, but bacause, well, he's a nice guy )

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 8:41 PM

I appeciate it when a mechant takes the time to thank me for my purchase. It's a rarity nowadays to get that personal attention. It will guarantee repeat business from me!

FatCatAlley.net | Now Playing "SpaceCat 5" Parts 1 and 2

SnowSultan ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 9:16 PM

I usually don't send personal thank you's to those who purchase my product, not because I don't want to, but because many don't like being bothered, like Kendra said. I might reconsider after reading these posts though, so thank you for sharing your thoughts. I only have one item to sell, but it's very important to me that those who do purchase it are happy with it. :) Thanks, take care. SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 9:28 PM

SnowSultan, you are one of those merchants who have given so much to the community they we need to remember to thank you for all you have shared with us. :)

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2005 at 11:59 PM

I appreciate the thank you notes as well. I don't expect them, but they are a pleasant surprise when I do get one. Some send them, others don't, and both are ok in my opinion. What I appreciate even more is when a merchant sends me a PM and tells me that there was a problem with the file and provides me with a new link to download the update. I had that happen last month. I hadn't even unzipped the file yet so I wasn't even aware that there was a problem.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SnowSultan ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 12:05 AM

Thank you Dialyn, I'm just happy to be able to provide stuff that others find useful. :) I get busy sometimes and don't always get around to thanking everyone who comments on my images or makes a purchase, but this thread has reminded me that I just need to make time. Thanks again, SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

Booker5 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 7:23 AM

I think this whole issue cuts both ways. I have not had many merchants send a thank you message but then again I also don't post reviews of products even if I am really pleased with them. Perhaps both the merchant and the customer sides in the marketplace should think about this. SnowSultan, I just want to let you know that I use your free stuff quite a bit and I think that your Battle Bonanza pose package is about the best value for the dollar I ever bought here. Keep up the great work!

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 1:34 PM

I rarely get a thank you. But the odd few that do, I have more than 1 product. Mind, you don't expect a thank you from Coke when you buy it from 7/11. So, should a merchant say thanks or not I guess is up to them.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 2:27 PM

[QUOTE] you don't expect a thank you from Coke when you buy it from 7/11[/QUOTE] But you do when you buy it direct from their warehouse. Also, Coke does billions of dollars in sales, so it would be impossible for them to thank you personally each time you bought one of their products. A merchant here on the other hand, obviously has a much smaller and more managable customer list than Coke does. However, I do think it's up to the merchant as to whether they wish to send a thank you note to those that buy their products. I usually leave a note of review after I've tried the product in order to provide feed back to others who may also enjoy the product, and as a general thank you to the merchant for putting out something of quality that I enjoy using.

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 4:07 PM

I don't get a thank you from Coke, but I often get a thank you from the person who sells the bottle to me. I don't expect a thank you, but I appreciate it. I am very bad about leaving reviews. That's mainly because I buy things and then don't use them immediately and I don't feel as if I should give a review on something I haven't actually tried. My hardrive is a warehouse of ideas that will never come into being, I'm afraid. I agree with Acadia about appreciating a merchant who sends a note about an update or a fix to an item. That is a small courtesy that means a lot.

Kendra ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 10:57 PM

"However, I do think it's up to the merchant as to whether they wish to send a thank you note to those that buy their products."

It is and again, it isn't. Many who have been around this site as members long enough to see the complaints in different areas of the site will, naturally, be wary of sending out anything that could be seen as and (more importantly) complained about as spam. As many in this thread who say they appreciate it, many more have stated otherwise and issued complaints. So, those of us who listened then are ufairly placed in a "classless" category now. Like I said, damned either way. I can't imagine any merchant not appreciative of their customers. Some show it differently by putting up freebies on their sites, some send out IM's some do both. And I guarantee you most are always concerned about how best to appreciate their customers.

...... Kendra

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2005 at 11:35 PM

I think there are many ways of saying "thank you." Some people do it with a note. Some people do it with giving an extra bonus or freebie. Some people do it by posting a supportive comment on a thread. There's not just one way of being thoughtful. Why do we find it so notable that people could be thoughtful to each other when, in fact, many of this community are supportive and kind? And how sad is it to discover that some people are so mean-spirited that they would complain about what is a courtesy that many of us would appreciate. I'm going to go hug my dog now.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 1:37 AM

Quote - how sad is it to discover that some people are so mean-spirited that they would complain about what is a courtesy that many of us would appreciate.

No kidding! It just dawned on me that those same people are probably the first ones to kick up a fuss when they aren't seated and served promptly in a restaurant, or able to locate a sales clerk in a department store instantly. Sad indeed. I used to work in the hospitality industry, still do in a round about way, and it's I know customers enjoy being treated like they are the only ones on the planet at that given time, and so do the clerks/waitresses. Courtesy is important in a customer-buyer relationship. The internet has impersonalised it so much that people forget that they are actually dealing with real people though, even if that person isn't standing in front of you.

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2005 at 7:19 AM · edited Tue, 10 May 2005 at 7:21 AM

I don't think you can blame the Internet on this one.

Did you read the report that came out recently that cell phone users are using their cell phones as an excuse not to interact with people (they will pretend to be on phone calls that they are not on in order to avoid talking to other people)? And that they will purposefully (and have admitted doing this) to going on phone calls so that waiters/waitresses and cashiers and other service providers have to wait to be able to finish a transaction? (Of course this means all customers behind them also have to wait while they have their little power trip.) I won't even both to mention the rudeness of cell phone users talking at the top of their lungs in restaurants and movie theaters and concerts...yes, they are so fascinating they want all the world to hear the fact that they can't choose popcorn with or without butter without help from someone else. And, a more dangerous class of inconsideratin, we have drivers so rude that they would rather have an accident than give another driver the courtesy of allowing them to merge into traffic.

Merchants are humans. Customers are humans. What is so sad is that we are losing our humaneness for no good reason other than to pretend we have control over other people (I suspect so many of us have so little real power in our lives). A little injection of humility on both sides would be no bad thing.

Oh well. It's too late now for that. The damage has been done.

But, for the record, I'm constantly awed by the service that merchants provide me. Thank you one and all.

Message edited on: 05/10/2005 07:21

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.