Sat, Sep 21, 12:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:04 pm)

Subject: Poser 6 sr1 bug list

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 9:16 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:03 PM

Maybe we can all post our bug findings here for the sr1 bugs? While there seem to be many advances (render speed seems much faster here for some reason), there are still some features or possible bugs that still exist. Here's what I've found so far: Trying to save previous stored renders does not work. The only image that can be saved is the most recent one. (A Workaround is to do a screen cap, and paste it into photoshop or such.) Unless there's something I'm missing to select the older ones to save?? With the light edit panel open, selecting light cameras does not update the light properties. Lights can be behind the light control "ball", and then cannot be selected there easily. (This may not be a bug, but may be a workflow decision. Is there a hotkey toggle to step through the lights in the light panel?) And I'd really like to be able to hit "delete" if a light is selected in th elight controls and have it delete! Maybe alt or cntrl selecting the light cam would be a good option to see "through" the light and edit it's properties? Ambiant brightness/changes do not seem to be active in the preview pane. Yeah, I noticed that the opengl display is different the firefly's, but you'd think brightness would be easy to change with some range.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Fazzel ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 10:22 AM

There is also a bug in doing refractions if one of the object behind the refractor is transparent, that wasn't there in Poser 5. (See messages about it in previous post).

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 10:23 AM

For previous renders click the "Tear Off" icon at the top of the doc window. This will promote your render to a new window. Now close that window and you will get a prompt to save.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 10:36 AM

I'll try that amd see if it solves the issues I had, Phil.. thanks! Now get back to work on WW... ;)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 11:19 AM

OK -- last night, I was forced to lower texture size on a scene in order to render it.

shrug

The software can only be pushed just so far....and the hardware can only be pushed just so far.

But at least I was able to successfully render the scene. Before SR1, I couldn't get this particular scene to render at all.

So SR1 has done a lot. Additional improvements can always be made -- but SR1 has been a huge step in the right direction.

To get the full benefit out of Poser 6: some of us need to have fairly heavy-duty hardware backing the software up.

But that's the way that it is with most new 3D software. So I don't consider the demand for greater system resources to be anything unusual.

It'll just irritate some when they discover that 2005 software has trouble running on a 1995 box.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 11:21 AM

Or even on a 2000 box.

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 11:48 AM

One thing that still isn't fixed: the 'default python editor' choice in Preferences doesn't work. Using Ctrl-click to edit a PY file just goes through Notepad. (I told them about this as soon as P6 came out.)

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

pzrite ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 11:51 AM

"Or even on a 2000 box." Or even last MONTHS box! ;) I just thank the great computer god (Bill Gates?) that RAM prices are relatively cheap.

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 12:21 PM

Ok, I managed to save a previous render.. I had to fidle with the "compare image" thing at the bottom left, and once I found the one I wanted, it worked. I'd think though, that whatever you actually see in the render window would be saved...

obm890 ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 3:25 PM

I don't know if this is a bug or a 'feature' (I'll delete the post if it's always been this way). When I'm adding Injection Morphs to V3's chest the new dials don't appear immediately. They used to in P4 (I don't know if they did in P6). Now I have to switch between Body and Chest parameters in order to get the dials to refresh and the new ones appear. Just switching between properties and parameters doesn't refresh. Is there another way to force a refresh? Could it be related to the lights parameters not updating to show a different light?

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 4:09 PM

Now I have to switch between Body and Chest parameters in order to get the dials to refresh and the new ones appear.

I had that same problem in P5.

It's still there in P6.

In order to see the new parameter dials, I'm always switching dials back and forth whenever I add new morphs to a body part.

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 4:31 PM

I never looked at it as a bug or feature.. it just made sense to me that you had to reload the group to refresh it.

obm890 ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 4:49 PM

Damn. Thanks for the replies, but that's not the answer I was hoping for :-( No refreshing was needed in P4, when you add a morph it adds the dial immediately. It makes sense to me that you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get the display to display what it is there to display. In 6SR1 I was hoping this was just temporarily broken rather than permanently badly designed. Oh well...

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 5:11 PM

I've known of it since P5 sr2 I think... Guess we'll have to add it to our P6 sr1 bug list? Seems it'd be an easy fix... just check what group is currently selected, and then refresh it after the injection load.

tastiger ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 5:16 PM

I now have this strange thing of Poser sticking in the material room, I can't go back to the pose room or anything, it just locks then need Ctl/Alt/Delete to bring up task manager. The pzz is one from before the SR was added so I'm not sure if that is the reason why...

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

jfike ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 7:13 PM

ockham, Yes, I complained to them about that default python editor problem too. I like use SlickEdit and it sure doesn't seem like a difficult fix to launch an exe from within Poser.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 9:41 PM

Rendering animations with Sketch Designer ... the 40-frame-limit bug.

The raytraced-reflection culling bug ... which originated back in P5.

Figure Circle and Transparency Display settings ... not saved between sessions.

R_Hatch ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 9:55 PM

Related to the save image bug above: once you "copy picture", Poser 6 will not put anything else in the clipboard, so that new renders aren't able to be pasted into other programs. Rendering objects with refraction and displacement from above results in dark rings around anything that penetrates the refractive object. Not major, but still shouldn't happen: When creating a new figure with the setup room, all body parts get visible translation dials. NEW(?) in SR1: sometimes "display deformer" in the joint editor is off by default. Lights are still added and handled in a haphazard manner. I doubt it will get fixed before Poser 7, but thought it was worth a mention nonetheless. NEW(?) to SR1: some lights, even when ON, and renderable, do not have any effect in the preview window. (example: an infinite light with 100% intensity and lavender color)

byAnton ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 10:02 PM

Wuth some things Poser needs time to udate on the screen. Moving the camera can propt a display change.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 10:32 PM

R_Hatch, do the lights show in SreeD? The SR1 documentation mentioned something about differences in the OpenGL lighting model.

Tguyus ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 10:35 PM

Although I notified CL / EF weeks ago, the Retime Animation bug was not fixed. Two types of failures occur: mis-apportioned frames when retiming a given range, and dropped frames when copying frame ranges:

(1) Applying Retime Animation with Source Frames 1 to 4 and Destination Frames 1 to 8 results in Frames 1 and 2 staying put, Frame 3 going to Frame 4 and Frame 4 going to Frame 7.

(2) Using Retime Animation to copy Source Frames 1 to 4 to Destination Frames 11 to 14 results in a failure to copy Frame 1 to Frame 11 (the others copy ok).

Both flaws might be explained by a failure to process Frame 1 (i.e., in the retime case the routine thinks it has to spread Frames 2 to 4 over the destination range of Frame 2 to 8).

Should have been an easy fix, though I'm guessing animation repairs were a low priority for SR1, so I hope they fix this in SR2.

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 7:53 AM · edited Sat, 28 May 2005 at 7:56 AM

ByAnton: no, they don't even work in SreeD. This is one of the dumbest bugs in a 3d program EVER. As an example, I am forced to add extra lights to a scene before loading older light sets, due to the fact that Poser refuses to create shadowcams for any light that doesn't exist before it's loaded from the library. I just did so with one particular set, adding a total of 10 lights to the scene. The lightset has only 4, yet Poser insists on creating 4 additional lights to load the set. Thus I have 14 lights total, 10 that are off with shadowcams, and 4 that are on but don't have shadowcams.

Also, trying to copy and paste from lights doesn't even work consistently, due to even the parameters themselves being named inconsistently depending on how stupid Poser is feeling at the time. THIS IS RIDICULOUS BEYOND BELIEF!

I will now offer up a solution, since CL/EF's programmers aren't able to tackle this: In a directory under Runtime, there would be a file named "default_light.lt2" or something similar. This file would be used whenever Poser wants to create a new light, or add lights from a library. When creating new lights, the light type defined in the file would add lights of that type (I hate the creation of spotlights by default). When loading lights from a library set, the library file would only be queried for light types and parameter settings. It would not create lights without shadowcams, instead it would load lights and set their shadows to OFF.

I don't mean to sound like I'm belittling the programmers of Poser, because they produce a top notch program. However, many bugs that are frequently encountered are frustratingly simple to fix, but since I can't actually edit the Poser.exe, there's nothing I can do personally except bring it up again and again. BTW, I first noticed this bug, and posted about it, when Poser 4 was the current version...

Message edited on: 05/28/2005 07:56

an0malaus ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:04 AM

@R_Hatch. OpenGL is limited to 8 lights maximum. This means the first 8 lights in a scene will be displayed in the OpenGL preview and all subsequent lights will be ignored. If you delete some of the first 8 lights, the next ones in the list will become visible, maintaining the 8 light total. This has no effect on renders though.

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

Sturm_und_Drang ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 9:54 AM

The "Save previous render" thing is causing me grief. I find the one I want, and when I click the "tear-off" icon it brings up the latest render... ugh...

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 10:12 AM

Yeah.. you need to fiddle with the compare selection at the bottom... and then try the tear off option. it took me some playing, but it finally cooperated.

Sturm_und_Drang ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 10:42 AM

OK... Actually I found to select it from the Main one ( ie the one on the left of the two ) made it work... Got it now.. ~S~

Dave ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 12:01 AM

Ok. Something that I found odd was that when I click on the setup room tab with an OBJ selected. The program just sets there and does not go to the setup room. The tab does like it's supposed to, but the window does not change. I'm running on Windows XP with the out of the box hardware. David

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 12:31 AM

@gwhicks: That would be fine, since the light set I was loading contains 8 or less lights. It is Poser's idiotic way of creating new lights unnecessarily that is the problem, since it is switching off existing lights and adding new ones when it should be applying the loaded lights' attributes to the existing ones until it runs out of existing lights, and then adding new ones only as needed.

an0malaus ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 10:04 AM

@R_Hatch. I understand. Seems CL got wise and changed the default (with a preference setting to override) for adding rather than replacing figures from the library. I agree that the default action fro loading lights from the library has been non-intuitive and awkward since Poser 4 (and even Poser 3). Maybe a similar preference and alternative default for lights (delete all and add new rather than just turning off existing lights) should be implemented.

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

tastiger ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 2:50 PM

" Ok. Something that I found odd was that when I click on the setup room tab with an OBJ selected. The program just sets there and does not go to the setup room. The tab does like it's supposed to, but the window does not change.? Sounds a lot like my prob;e, mentioned above.... My problem came up when I had an object selected too.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

rrpsks ( ) posted Wed, 01 June 2005 at 5:36 PM

after installation and sr1 upgrading poser 6 worked fine on tiger for a few days. Now when i click on body it crashes:(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.