Sat, Sep 21, 12:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Okay a dumb question but hey I need to know..

Quikp51 ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 12:31 AM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 2:10 AM

I've used PS for a long time but I have never had a need to outline an object until now. So what is the best method to outline any given shape/image/object with any given complexity? Images from simple shapes to complex images with little nooks and crannies and protrusions on the edges. Thanks!

chrish_77 ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 1:59 AM

Attached Link: http://www.chrishammondonline.com

If I understand your question right, you want to get a selection around your object. If your object is all by its self on a layer hold CTRL and click on the layer. If its not on its own layer try using the magic wand to select what you want, play around with the settings for this tool. If you want to draw a line on your selection go EDIT>STROKE, if you want to make the selection bigger or smaller go SELECT>MODIFY>EXPAND OR CONTRACT. I hope that helps Chris Hammond

Quikp51 ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 2:07 AM

That's exactly the info I needed , thank you!

puzzledpaul ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 6:10 PM

Depending on the image, a possibility is to check out the colour channels. Choose the one giving the best contrast between the background and the object you want to outline. Copy that to create a new alpha channel. Boost the contrast using levels and fill in relevant areas with black/white. Once happy with the result, copy this again to create a 2nd alpha channel. Use filter / other / max / min to increase the masked/selection area. You can then difference these two alpha channels to create your outline directly or use them for stroking/stroking path purposes. Hope this complements other method - use whatever gives the best? results - creating spare alphas also gives you the chance to experiment with other effects like blurs/grads etc If originally in RGB, and having trouble, try CMYK or LAB to see if they offer any other options.

emkaydist ( ) posted Sun, 28 January 2001 at 4:05 AM

Either use the lasso and polygon lasso, or for things with an obvious outline use the magnetic lasso.

TRAVISB ( ) posted Sun, 28 January 2001 at 5:17 PM

i use the extract if you have ps5 or 6 its really easy and really fast

Bongo ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 7:46 PM

If you use the lasso with a graphic pad (graphire) how can you momentarily pick up the pen so you can reposition your hand, then put the pen back - without the lasso going crazy and trying to close the loop?

emkaydist ( ) posted Thu, 01 February 2001 at 3:34 AM

You gotta click your way around. All the way, start to finish.

karnobiska ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2001 at 5:04 AM

Attached Link: http://www.alienspeek.demon.co.uk

There is an amazingly easy way to do this IF the object images whatever are on a transparent background .. just go to > Select > choose load selection and however complex it will select the entire outline .. choose new layer and stroke under > Edit > link the new stroked path to the layer it was selected from ... that way you havent stroked the origional layer.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.