Sat, Sep 21, 6:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: ***Wanna make it into a poster ???

DigitalHandout ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2001 at 3:15 AM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 10:11 PM

I have a large poster sized color copier.I am considering offering large color prints for $15.00. I was just thinking how much more spectacular renderings look in poster form. If you think you would like one let me know.

Styxx ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2001 at 6:05 AM

What size would the image have to be rendered at to get a good print out? I have an image I made as a bookcover that would look wicked as a poster!! I would definatly be intrested!! Great price too! Shipping would be extra yes?

Butch ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2001 at 9:59 AM

Does it have to Poser??? I have several things that I have downloaded from the net that I would love to have as a poster. butch

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2001 at 11:38 AM

heyas; butch, many of the things downloaded from the net are copyrighted, and digitalhandout cannot lawfully make money from them. please make sure you follow all international copyright laws. digital: there is a pretty big demand for a service that makes large prints of artwork. you could probably turn it into a nice sideline here on this site alone. however.... well, i have to question you about the quality. you say 'poster-sized colour copier.' not a printer? if it's not hooked up to a computer, how do the images get into it to print out? you print an 8x10 and enlarge it to a poster? this would not be the best way to go about things. then there's the print quality, the colour matching (how accurate the colour comes out), the lightfastness of the inks, etc etc. but hey, for a quick and cheap poster for yourself, or your relatives, sounds pretty good. i have doubts anybody would use your service to, say, create a dozen prints they try to sell. :) but i dunno, haven't seen the quality. you might post this over on the exchange, or on the site ideas/improvements board. that's where i usually bug 'em about offering print services. ;)

Butch ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2001 at 11:52 AM

Does making a poster from something like a book cover or a cartoon, for private use, break a copyright law??? I use to get Kinko's to make copies of video box and book covers for posters. I think as long as I getting them done for personal use and not to resell or make money off of them it would be ok. But I am not a lawyer and wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble for this. thanks butch

gideon ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2001 at 12:00 PM

For the best quality, scan them big! 600dpi @ print size (8.5"x11" is a regular page size). That makes for a really big image file that would take a while to download. You may end up paying for the download time and storage space... If the printer prints at 600dpi then you're looking at a nice quality. As for color management, that depends on the system that is being used, but photoshop comes with color management.

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2001 at 9:37 AM

heyas; butch: i believe one copy for your personal use on your wall would fall under fair use. i'm not convinced that digital's offer is within the bounds of fair use under those circumstances, however. it is a grey area. but suppose you download one of my images, and you want a poster of it. i can get large prints of my image, but those cost me $40, so the end price is going to be $50-60 or more. so instead, you go to digital's service and get a poster for $15. digital gets however many cents to pay for the paper, the ink, the percentage of maintenance costs on the copier, plus a nice profit. however, digital does not have my permission to make copies of my work and/or sell them in this manner. you can see that i, the copyright holder, get doodlesquat from this transaction. :) NOTE!!! the above is a HYPOTHETICAL situation, i'm not accusing digital or anybody of doing this or any other copyright-infringing acts.

Butch ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2001 at 10:02 AM

Ok, I understand now thanks butch

Rebecca Lee ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 11:29 PM

I have several of my own works that I'd to posterizes to sell, please contact me at R_Roquelaure@email.msn.com .

Nance ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2001 at 12:52 AM

Probably belongs in the copyright forum, but theoretically, digital would not actually be making money from selling your copyrighted work, he is making money from renting his machine. IMHO it would not be his responsibility, nor even his right, to determine the actual rights holder of any and all material that are brought to him to be copied. That responsibility, and liability, would remain with the individual ordering the job and presenting the artwork to be copied. Could Kinko's demand proof of authorship before performing a job for me? I think not - unless I'm asking them to copy 20 dollar bills, its none of their damn business. (Now, back to counting angels dancing on the heads of these pins)

mheldt ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2001 at 7:07 PM

I have done some large format renders of factory floors. There are services in most large communities. You might want to check your local drafting or engineering supply store to make sure that they are already offering the service cheaper. At 1200 DPI for a C-size drawing the price can go for $15-$125 and they will want the file on a zip disk or CD-ROM. If you render and post process the file, you can request a binary print which some places will do cheaper because it takes less time. But, you have to print it for a specific printer to file. Each time that I have done it, I had to teach the service how to do it. I always get a free print for teaching them.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.