Sat, Sep 21, 6:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What are the advantages of PhotoShopCS over PSP8?

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 7:53 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 5:25 AM

This might seem like swearing inside this forum, lol!!!!! However, I have constantly battled with whether or not to go for the expensive Adobe proggie when I find PSP8 seems to do so very much, and I haven't yet been able to work out what the ADVANTAGES are... I have a copy of CS 8 on my computer to try out, but so far, the very FIRST thing that put me off was that in order to undo, you can't just click on an icon each time you want to, but you have to go to the history section and make an informed decision... The next thing was that in order to clear an image off a layer, you can't just press the delete button! It's things like these that I've got so used to inside PSP, so if I were to spend out and purchase CS, it would need to have very good justifications for doing so. OK... Let's have the ADVANTAGES??? Thanks for any help offered.. Nicky.

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Is the light at the end of the tunnel my way out, or is it an oncoming train just about to make me extinct?

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 8:11 AM

Industry standard is the first reason to come to mind. Of course, if you're not in the "industry", that doesn't matter. What you "grew up" using is one of my reasons. I picked up PS around version 4 and used it since. I also have PSP (but only because it's so cheap I have both). I like a few things PSP does but I do 95% of my work in PS. With the new Bridge, the file browser in PSP will see even less use now. So, though a lot of things done in one proggie can be done in the other, I've just gotten used to how it's done in PS. As long as you're asking that question, you might ask why pay for either as long as Gimp is around.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 8:12 AM

Industry standard is the first reason to come to mind. Of course, if you're not in the "industry", that doesn't matter. What you "grew up" using is one of my reasons. I picked up PS around version 4 and used it since. I also have PSP (but only because it's so cheap I have both). I like a few things PSP does but I do 95% of my work in PS. With the new Bridge, the file browser in PSP will see even less use now. So, though a lot of things done in one proggie can be done in the other, I've just gotten used to how it's done in PS. As long as you're asking that question, you might ask why pay for either as long as Gimp is around.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 8:13 AM

The second replay (duplicate) is because of this pathetically slow site. I'll let it stand.

retrocity ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 4:23 PM

The advantages can only "be" advantages (within any software) based on "what" you need the software for (what you need the software to be able to do)

I can list some feature sets that mean a lot to "photogs" but "designers" could care less...

so, hate to ask, but what would you be wanting PS to do??
What would kind of work would you be doing??

:)
retrocity

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 4:46 PM

retrocity, I would be using it primarily for artwork and postwork rather than for photography. My husband and I use PSP for photography, and of course, I've gone on from there to use PSP8 for all my other work too. I do suspect, for example, there may be some differences in the ways in which some brushes work inside the two programs though... Would that be the case? Nicky.

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Is the light at the end of the tunnel my way out, or is it an oncoming train just about to make me extinct?

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 5:01 PM

With a tablet, the brushes would work (in a basic sense) the same way. PSP is used by a lot of people for postwork. Not sure I'd spend the money to get PS if I already had PSP and I wanted to do postwork. Of course, the decision is your (smile) and you DID mention artwork. Again, not sure what kind of artowrk, but have you looked into Painter IX?

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Sun, 12 June 2005 at 4:25 AM

Hi Chuck, Herein lies an interesting question.. Postwork is something I do a huge amount of, but I also like to draw/paint stuff, such as scenes, clothing, even faces - from which I have even made brushes.. Now comes the other problem I am experiencing. If I'm drawing/painting with my art tablet, I find it extreeeeemely difficult to get those lovely tapered ends to fine lines, or not to get the pixelly appearance, without LOTS of modification using things like the push tool. Take hair for instance.. How were these made by people like Antje or Ravenheart? Surely I should be able to achieve similar too? Question is, would it help if I got the more expensive Wacom tablet that's available, which is MUCH more sensitive to your strokes and can be used on its side etc., or.. Is another art program the answer? - Or both?? I hope this gives a better idea of what I am trying to achieve? I've managed a LOT with what I have, but am not satisfied yet! Nicky.

AnnaKirsten

My Website

cryptojoe ( ) posted Sun, 12 June 2005 at 6:45 AM

I had PS7 for a few years, and recently made the plunge into PS/CS. I've also used PSP back in the 90's.

For ease of use I prefer PSP. However, when I dealt with a Print Shop PSP always drove them nuts!

Industry Standard is the reason I chose PS over PSP.

What I dislike about PS is it's difficulty in learning to use it. For people like me, it requires that others are willing to impart their years of experience to show you it's functionality, or taking classes in how to use it. There is no learning curve to PS. It's a stiff upward battle to learn without assistance.

For many issues, the manual will tell you to go to the help section in the program, which takes you to the Adobe Site to cruse through FAQ's that never seem to answer your question due to the developers assumption that you understand their language, and all the terms they have developed. Or, you can pay extortion to some character on the web they send you to for a regular fee. Not to mention, you can't use the on-line site without installing Java! (Happened to me yesterday).

If it were me, I would stick to PSP if you do not intend to do allot of professional print work. If you are going to do professional print work, like me, you're going to have to bite the bullet!

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

Ravyns ( ) posted Sun, 12 June 2005 at 9:59 AM

I have to agree with Joe. Learning Photoshop is difficult. (One of the hardest things I've ever done.) I've been using version 7 for a good while now & haven't even made a dent in learning all it will do.
I've used the demo version of PSP & while there were some things I liked about it, I prefer Photoshop & I think I'll stick with V7 for awhile.

**************************************************************************************

Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're here we should dance.

SWAMP ( ) posted Sun, 12 June 2005 at 11:43 AM

I used PSP7 awhile back but not knowing what the newer versions have to offer I cannot intelligently tell you what advantages PS have over them. However seeing that you have a strong interest in painting, I have to agree with Chuck and say Corels Painter might be a much wiser (and cheaper) choice for you. Painter IX brushes and painting ability is far superior to what PSCS2, PSP or any other 2D app can do. SWAMP

DJB ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 3:29 AM

PSP8 is incredibly faster for so many things in postwork. The shortcuts you can do with right mouse clicking is superior to PhotshopCS. What you might try, that I did was buy Photoshop Elements 3. That combined with PSP8 is really quite good. if i had to do things for the industry, I guess biting the bullet would be a must. Saving for the web in Elements is much better than PSP though. Do your work in PSP then copy it over to save. That was the other thing I dislike about PS ...you cannot right click save. or cut. Or do a one touch screen cap. The command history is much better as you say.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

bonestructure ( ) posted Sat, 18 June 2005 at 7:23 PM

I use both. I'd say if you're used to PSP, keep on using it.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Zekaric ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 6:49 PM

I'm dealing with dated software, PS5 and PSP5, the big difference I see between the two is which one works better with large images. PS wins hands down. PSP will bog down after a few edits. However, I haven't used the newer PSP or PS to see if this is applicable anymore. I generally us PS for drawing. PSP for file format conversion and minor editing.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.