Thu, Sep 19, 6:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: * * * Mini Challenges * * *

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 10:05 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:11 PM

Hello ! Hallo ! Bonjour ! Ola ! etc... and welcome to what I am hoping will become a popular event in the forum :) It is about time to do something different and after reviewing several ideas for a while, here is what I would like to start with : mini challenges. Old timers will probably remember the Technical Challenges a few years back. The idea is very similar : - Mini Challenges will be occasions to do something special such as making new atmospheres, playing with materials, have fun with some effects, etc... - They will run in parallele with the Monthly Challenge. No change there. - Each mini challenge will run as long as it has steam, with a minimum of 2 weeks. - The results of the mini challenges will be placed in the Backroom as free downloads when possible (like we did once with a pack of atmospheres or clothe materials). - WIPS (work in progress) will be posted in individual forum threads, so that we can discuss them, comment or make suggestions. - Final versions will all be posted in the initial thread to make it easier to collect the whole package at the end of the challenge. - There would be no winner (or rather, everybody would be winners). - The theme of the next mini challenge would be selected as a vote between 3 ideas. Just send me your ideas so that I can keep a list. - The goal would be to have fun, build up a little library of creations from the forum, have fun, learn, and oh yeah... have fun :) My list of ideas of mini challenge so far : - landscape materials - wood materials - atmospheres by night - planets What do you think ? any idea or suggestions ?

bruno021 ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 11:48 AM

I'm in! Great idea. landscape materials please! and wood too! night mood, nice! like the idea of no winner!

nanotyrannus ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 12:29 PM

Sounds like fun! Other suggestions: -Build a certain type of terrain (ex. mountain, canyon...) -underwater atmosphere -puffy clouds -procedural landscape materials (no photo textures) -procedural terrains (we've seen a few really really good ones so far in the galleries) I'm sure there's a ton more that's just all I could think of off the top of my head.

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 12:50 PM

Great ideas :) Keep them coming.... And yes, in case anyone is wondering, it is dburdick and his great Skin Materials that made me want to get these mini challenges finally on the road (although wabe and a few others should be credited for pushing for something like that a long time ago...).

dburdick ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 4:05 PM

Great idea Agiel - I think procedural materials and atmospheres are a great idea. A way to do this that might work is to have everybody start with the same scene containing a single object (e.g. a rock, tree, terrain, etc) and then have everyone apply their mats to the same object. I constantly struggle with rock, bark and groundcover mats. Another area that would be great for a group think is lighting - starting with a common scene - who can apply the most realistic or unusual lighting.

Collateral_Damage ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 4:44 PM

Brilliant idea, sounds like my kind of fun! The terrain, material and lighting exercises appeal to me.

Collateral_Damage ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 4:51 PM

Just thought i would add.... I like the idea of everyone starting with the same scene and seeing what different people can do with lighting and textures. I would even be happy to provide some base scenes.

nanotyrannus ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 5:54 PM

I agree, starting with the same scene sounds like it would work the best for the material challenges.

bruno021 ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 6:50 PM

agree with above, starting with the same scene , apply materials & lihting, and see what everybody comes up with, that would be interesting, it would have to ciome with explanations too, so that we all get a better knowledge of Vue. I alo like the idea of a proc terrain challenge, that would be helpful for many of us, provided we explain.

jc ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 9:30 PM

*Always wanted to try a Vue campfire. *Waterfalls are another difficult challenge. *While on water, what about a fountain? *A deep and juicy candy-apple red metallic (as used on cars)?

lanaloe77 ( ) posted Thu, 16 June 2005 at 11:20 PM

I'm in. I'd like mini-challenges for snow. Snow on rocks or trees or snow that looks wet or icy. A challenge inviting us to make a scene from a book would be good. Great ideas everyone.

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Fri, 17 June 2005 at 1:07 AM

Are newbees allowed in? I've only had Vue for a few weeks, but I might learn something in the process! Cool idea Agiel!

FatCatAlley.net | Now Playing "SpaceCat 5" Parts 1 and 2

impish ( ) posted Fri, 17 June 2005 at 4:37 AM

How about challenges about lighting/framing for example lighting and framing a pre modelled, pre textured object or scene.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

wolffenrir ( ) posted Fri, 17 June 2005 at 7:24 AM

what about: * particles * objects collision simulation (water, expecially) * motion blurring ....ok, I better stop here ;)

rodluc2001 ( ) posted Fri, 17 June 2005 at 10:18 AM · edited Fri, 17 June 2005 at 10:20 AM

file_255556.jpg

for me materials ! the advanced use of new features to make nice material...

like this (from Richard Rosenman) a glass material made with Vray with a nice tecnique to resolve the Absorption problem... why don't try with Vue ! i'm sure that someone can make something like that...

Message edited on: 06/17/2005 10:20

sittingblue ( ) posted Fri, 17 June 2005 at 10:29 AM

This is a great idea, and I find it motivating.

Here are a few ideas:
a hybrid material (procedural with a photo).
special effects (as others have suggested and more).
using a technique to reproduce or create a style of art.

Charles

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 17 June 2005 at 11:48 AM · edited Fri, 17 June 2005 at 11:50 AM

Excellent ideas everyone :)

I will leave this discussion open and come up with a list of 3 themes to vote for on Monday. And to answer animajikgraphics questions, these challenges are open to anyone, especially newbies.

Message edited on: 06/17/2005 11:50

Tiny ( ) posted Fri, 17 June 2005 at 4:47 PM

Lots of fun! :o)

But I'm off on a trip and won't be back for 2-3 weeks.
I'll be able to check in on you guys though now and then, but can' t do much work myself.

viandec ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2005 at 6:34 PM

Good idea, just some other sugestion: the most realistic grass (lawn) the most relalistic gravel ground ciao!

jecajo ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2005 at 7:21 PM

I'm way to new at doing this to even know how to make a material but i hope you will let me lurk and see if i can learn anything at all ..i've been playing and want to learn how to make my own materials but really have no clu how to begin i can make a scene to a degree but have only had the program a week ..

jmherve ( ) posted Sat, 23 July 2005 at 7:02 PM

terrains, materials lighting, textures, woody or ground, whatever is possible, I'll play my part of it, enthusiasticly. I like the idea of the same scene for everybody. When do we start ?

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2005 at 8:45 AM · edited Thu, 22 March 2007 at 9:10 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2311821

For future reference, I am posting a link to the announcement of Workshop #1 before I get a chance to create a special page in the Backroom. I will be announcing Workshop #2 very shortly :)

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 10 August 2005 at 9:24 AM · edited Thu, 22 March 2007 at 9:10 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2370543

And here is a link to Workshop #2.

patiaz ( ) posted Sun, 24 December 2006 at 3:19 PM

I get a message stating 

"The requested URL /messages.ez was not found on this server."

Did you have a typo???

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 24 December 2006 at 3:50 PM · edited Sun, 24 December 2006 at 3:57 PM

Quote - I get a message stating 

"The requested URL /messages.ez was not found on this server."

Did you have a typo???

No, it's not a typo.
When the site switched to using PHP, all the old links broke.
To follow old links, replace everything before the last number with http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 9:11 AM

I finally got around to update the wrong links.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.