Wed, Sep 25, 1:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 2:51 am)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: Still WIP - Film noir detective office

ratracer ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 9:59 AM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 1:21 PM

file_261644.jpg

First test render. It's still WIP, the lights are exageratly dark even for that theme, but I am working on it :)

Some textures still need some work, some objects still not there, etc.

Message edited on: 06/27/2005 10:01

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 10:15 AM

Another fabulous room! I just love your stuff :)

AlteredKitty ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 10:22 AM

Fantastic scene, I love the genre and this is perfect :) ali x

My Renderosity Store

jade_nyc ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 10:30 AM

perfect office for a film noir detective! great job!

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 10:31 AM

Cool stuff :)

Moebius87 ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 11:40 AM · edited Mon, 27 June 2005 at 11:41 AM

I've stared... stared... and stared at this and was really trying to visualize would could possibly be added to improve on this. And, I had a hard time thinking of something...

Perhaps a different style of telephone as an alternative prop... something more 50's? Those black handsets with the big imposing lump on the desk with the rotary dial. What about a banker's lamp... you know those ones with the deep green glass shades and the little pull chain? Then how about a leather desk blotter... something to hide that important bit of evidence underneath?

The legs on the water cooler look a bit spindly... and perhaps you could use one of those slow moving ceiling fans... and of course those patented horizontal blinds! :o)

This is a beautifully detailed and very well thought out set. All you need is a gumshoe, revolver, trench coat and fedora... oh yeah... and that sultry blonde bombshell that would make you think twice about taking the case. :o)

Fantastic stuff! MMessage edited on: 06/27/2005 11:41

Mind Over Matter
"If you don't mind, then it don't matter."

ratracer ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 12:13 PM

Yeah Moe, you hit the spot:) I do have a 50's type phone, but it still isn't finished... and I though about that bank lamp type - I might still do it. the venetian blinds are there already but you can't see it from that POV. ... the other bits... I hope I can make those... I am still strugling with the right shadows coming from the blinds :) Thanks everyone!

jarm ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 1:53 PM

It was a cold, hard night in the big city. I'd been out on the trail of Mickey 'Two Fingers' Jones, a two bit hoodlum who'd made off with twenty thousand bucks of Freedie Florenso's money. I'd hit every sleezy joint in the city hoping to find somebody who had seen him, or the money, but nobody was talking, their lips were tight and I was getting nowhere fast and that meant Florenso was losing more money, on me, and he sure wasn't going to be happy about that. I dropped by the office to grab a change of clothes and to grab a bite to eat, but I ended up getting more. She was sitting in my chair, behind my desk, a blonde bombshell dressed in red satin, I didn't know who she was or what she wanted. But I was sure going to find out...

Ganthor ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 2:19 PM

Could I throw in a few tidbits? It's the historian coming out in me and the mid to late 1930s and 1940s are sort of a passion with me. About the phone, the style you've got here went out of fashion around 1935 (give or take) with the invention of the rotary dial and switching system. By 1940 the old "goose neck" phones were about as rare as they are today. The chair for the "client" probably should be a straight backed ladder chair, not one on casters or a swivel pivot. I agree that the water cooler needs to have heavier legs. Many of them were cast iron and quite heavy! I'd also change out the lamp. It looks almost too modern. The general character of the room is great as well as all the furnishings and hardware on them (drawer pulls). Great wall texture, looks like it hasn't been washed in a year! Is there a reverse view on the room, overlooking the city? If so, the windows should have wooden blindes on them. One last point, are you going to include some sort of a template so a name can be put on the door? In reverse, of course. Thanks for letting me throw in on this and sorry for any misspelling. Too much time spent drawing and not enought paying attention in elementary school! Makes me want to get out my Bogart films again...

DrunkMonkey ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 2:54 PM

...she had gams that went on forever and eyes you could get lost in for days. Her red, pouty lips begged to be kissed at the same time they'd tell you no. I knew she'd be trouble before she finished walking through the door... Great looking set!

ratracer ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 3:03 PM

Thanks for all the input. I am working on the phone and the bank lamp as I speak. BTW, the desk is an (as much as I can) exact copy of the desk I am working right now, which belonged to my father (from his "gangster" years - as my wife calls it, after seeing an old photo with him and his friends, back in the 30's). I made the water cooler from a photo and it seemed pretty close, but I'll take a look at it again. There will be a fan, although it was harder to do than I thought and it may not be totally in 40's style... The lettering on the door should be there, but I still didn't get the right translucence with it... And, jarm, "... I didn't know who she was or what she wanted, but I knew she was trouble..." :) Once again, thanks for all the input... And right now, I just have to decide if I am going to re-watch the Maltese Falcon or Double Indemnity... (although I think I have those still on Betamax)

Ganthor ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 3:14 PM

If you have a local library that's any good, sit down with a years worth of Life magazine or any other magazine of the period. For visual refference, it's worth their weight in gold and better than any book on the period. Loads of period detail to be found.

ratracer ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 7:01 PM

file_261645.jpg

I don't know if I overdid the size of the phone. I had two old phones - which unfortunately I lost when I moved to my new place - which I remember were huge and very heavy... ...this desk is quite tidy, compared to my own :)

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 9:59 PM

file_261647.jpg

This is fantastic but you gotta have one of those 40's or 50's style fans sitting on that filing cabinet.

sturkwurk ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2005 at 10:47 PM

An alternate set of B&W textures would be a riot. Also some "smoke" effects. need lots of cig butts in the ashtray. You need a ashcan next to the desk full of crumbled papers too. sorry just rambling, great scene!

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

Ganthor ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2005 at 12:12 AM

The radio is a nice touch. The phone's about right, but it might be a tad to tall. You're right, though, those things were heavy! And for good reason, they were made of pressed steel. In the movies, when somebody knocked somebody out by thunking them in the head with a phone, yeah, you could do that. They weighed about 2 1/2 tons. The banker's lamp might be a tad undersized, but they came in different sizes too. I do agree with sturkwurk that B&W textures would be a great addition. Or, just load an image into Photoshop and do it there. Black and white with film scratches as an overlay. Hey, shouldn't there be a .38 in one of the drawers?

stonemason ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2005 at 12:45 AM

nice work..all it's missing is some smokey atmosphere....& a silhouetted pretty lady standing in the doorway :) (oh & a gun taped under the desk) Cheers! Stefan

Cg Society Portfolio

Petunia ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2005 at 3:15 AM

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2005 at 5:22 AM

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2005 at 11:58 PM

i want this!

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2005 at 12:00 AM

FatCatAlley.net | Now Playing "SpaceCat 5" Parts 1 and 2

ratracer ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2005 at 8:01 AM

... it's coming soon :) I'm just making the finishing touches on the lights coming thru the blinds... thanks for your interest, support and suggestions...

ratracer ( ) posted Wed, 29 June 2005 at 8:02 AM

... and cherokee ... of course I wouldn't miss that :)

salvius ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2005 at 1:15 AM

Semi-obscure reference: This set really needs a brown paper bag containing a pickle...

It all began innocently enough on Tuesday. I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk-top, and reading my name on the glass of my office door: "regnaD kciN". My secretary lay snoring on the floor, her long, beautiful gams pinioned under the couch. I didn't hear him enter, but my nostrils flared at the smell of his perfume: Pyramid Patchouli. There was only one joker in L.A. sensitive enough to wear that scent, and I had to find out who he was...

"Good afternoon, Mr. Danger. I'm Rocky Rococo."

"Thanks, half-pint. You just saved me a lot of investigative work."

"Maybe yes, maybe no. Do you know what this is?"

I had to think for a minute. What cruel game was he playing? "Uh, that's a brown paper bag."

"That's correct! Now, look inside, Mr. Danger. What do you see?"

"That's easy! That's a pickle."

"Very good! Now, I think you're ready for this!"

"Why, that's nothing but a two-bit ring from a crackerback jox!"

"I'll sell it to you for $5,000."

"Hah! What kind of a chump do you take me for?"

"First class!"

"That tarnished piece of tin is worthless!"

"Worthless? Ha-ha-ha! Not to Melanie Haber..."

ratracer ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:40 PM

It's out at the RMP now :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.