Sat, Sep 21, 6:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Marketplace search useless

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 7:34 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:24 PM

Y'all really need to update the search engine for the marketplace. It seems that no matter what version of vicky I type in, I still have to wade through all the stuff for Victoria 3. This is irritating beyond belief when I am looking for something SPECIFICALLY for Victoria TWO. Not one, not 3, but TWO. There are not enough hours in the day to weed out all the extraneous Vicky 3 items that come up when I type "victoria 2" into the search window. Get with the program people - give us advanced search parameters that actually work, will ya? Some of us would spend more money if we could actually FIND what we're looking for. Kate the Disgruntled

ClintH ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2005 at 8:00 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/index.ez?cat=POSVIC

Hi Kate - You can get to the Victoria 1/2 section directly by going here. I hope to have the seach feature updated in the near future. Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2005 at 2:49 AM

Thanks Clint. It gets so frustrating trying to wade through all the stuff I'm NOT looking for, ya know? :)

elizabyte ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2005 at 3:09 AM

The search feature has sucked for years, and it's currently next to useless for most things. Clint, I sure hope the search feature really is updated in the near future. It'd be nice to be able to actually use it. ;-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Meddlesom ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2005 at 10:27 PM

The problem isn't with the search engine, the problem is that too many merchants here deliberately miscatagorize their products to get more exposure. If you look at the victoria 1/2 section you will see that it is saturated with products for victoria 3. Same if you look at the stephanie catagory, it is full of stephanie 3 goods. For example, looking right now at page 1 of catagory "Poser : Victoria : Clothing", display 18 thumbnails, there is not even one single product for victoria 2. All eightteen products are for victoria 3. Now looking at the catagory " Poser : Victoria : Character Sets", out of 18 products only ONE of them is for victoria 1/2. It comes down to a lot of false advertising on the part of the merchants, and a big source of frustration for the consumer. I've been lucky a couple times that I review my cart more than once before I check out, because I've come close to buying a product that I couldn't use at all. Personally, this really pisses me off. It wastes my time when I'm looking for something for one figure and the entire catagory I'm looking through is for something else. This would be like going to a computer software store, going to the section for macintosh applications and finding nothing but windows games. Renderosity really needs to start making an effort to get the merchants to catagorize their products properly, either by making the checking of catagories part of the product testing process and at least issuing a warning to the merchants who continuously mislead their customers.

elizabyte ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2005 at 12:52 AM

I agree that the categorization is a problem, but the search engine really IS crap, as well. Try finding out if there are any texture packages for ultrawings. You'll find that you get 166+ pages of responses. Why? Because the search engine doesn't appear to understand phrases (not with any of the standard search engine operators I've tried, anyway), only single words. Now tell me that's not a problem in a marketplace with a few thousand items. Can you imagine trying to use Google or AltaVista if you could only search for one word and not a phrase? bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Meddlesom ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2005 at 1:02 AM

Yeah, that could be improved... but good news, it probably will. They are working on a site upgrade here but it'll be closer to the end of the year when anything happens. I don't think I can go into any details though, but lots of stuff should be improved.

elizabyte ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2005 at 1:14 AM

They are working on a site upgrade here Yeah, I've heard that. I'm hopeful that we'll get a search engine that works a bit more like 2005 instead of 1995. ;-) bonni

Meddlesom ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2005 at 1:30 AM

The search engine also depends heavily on what the merchant set as their keywords when submitting the product

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.