Sat, Sep 21, 6:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Housekeeping of files inside Poser - Question...

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2005 at 7:26 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:34 PM

In my library palette, I am accumulating loads and loads of stuff, and what I'd really like to do is have less folders inside the Poses section (for example) with the various facilities inside each of these, dedicated to whatever the main item might be. Example would be, all V3 mats inside one main folder, then each subfolder displayed when clicking on that folder; all various clothing mats inside main folder in similar way, and so on. As things are, I'm having to scroll down and down through LOADS of things to find what I want, and it's bedlam! I know it's possible to add folders, but how do you... 1. Transfer existing files into them, 2. DELETE the folders you no longer need, 3. and how do you do this operation safely? ALSO, is it possible to re-name a folder in the Libraries Palette? I'm finding some of the existing names confusing! Thanks for any help you can offer, or any tut you can point me to.

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Is the light at the end of the tunnel my way out, or is it an oncoming train just about to make me extinct?

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2005 at 7:44 AM · edited Mon, 04 July 2005 at 7:45 AM

Which version of Poser? and which OS?

Message edited on: 07/04/2005 07:45

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

zulu9812 ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2005 at 7:50 AM

The Poser library supports subfolders no problem - just create them in Windows Explorer.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2005 at 8:29 AM

"The Poser library supports subfolders no problem - just create them in Windows Explorer." P5 and 6, yes. Any other version, no.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2005 at 10:02 AM

Sorry forgot! Poser 5, OS is Win XP. Does this mean I can simply create new folders, then drag and drop the respective subfolders into them, then delete any unwanted existing main folders inside Explorer?

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Is the light at the end of the tunnel my way out, or is it an oncoming train just about to make me extinct?

cindyx ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2005 at 12:07 PM · edited Mon, 04 July 2005 at 12:10 PM

In general, that's what I did. But be careful. Keep all the "Pose" items in the "Pose Catagory". Don't, for instance, put a "Pose" item in the "Props". I'm sure other people can tell you more info than I can. I renamed all my items so that I could easily understand what they were, and made a lot of sub-folders. I deleted irrelevant stuff too. I have had no problem at all using Poser 6 since I did all that. Good luck. I think it's definitely worth your time to fix up your library. Yes, using Explorer, and dragging and dropping into new folders.

Message edited on: 07/04/2005 12:10

Fazzel ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2005 at 1:17 PM

Even better if you have Poser 5 or 6 is to create multiple runtimes. I have separate runtimes for clothes, props, animals, Star Wars stuff, etc. There are several tutorials that show you how to do this. That way I keep my main runtime relatively clean so if I have to do a re-install there is less chance of losing something.

Smoker1000 ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2005 at 4:20 PM

Poses for P4-type characters (P4 Fem, P4 Male, Vic, Millenium folks, et al) can also be maintained in the Camera folders - but you need to change the file extension to the same as camera files. Seriously, it works just fine. I don't know about P5-P6 characters because of the changes with the "putty" bodies and faces. (I just got P6 and haven't tried it since subfolders are availabele). - Mark

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 04 July 2005 at 8:19 PM

http://www.ebonshire.net/tut-posb/p-file-locations.php Here is a visual of where files are located in Poser. If you are looking for a Character or a piece of clothing/shoes, in Poser you will find them in libraries/character If you are looking for hair, you will find them in either library/character/hair OR library/hair If you are looking for character texture addons, hair textures, clothing textures, you will find them in library/poses If you are looking for props, they are located in library/props Sometimes you will find clothing and hair or shoes in library/props too, depending on whether the item is actually created and saved as a figure, or it was created and saved as a prop. Figure items are "conformed" or "parented" Props are parented. If you are just starting, it's best to get started on the right foot. DO NOT just install files into the runtime! That will only lead to frustration because you won't be able to find anything. Here is a link to a tutorial on using multiple runtimes. http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=9060&start=0 This thread talks about multiple runtimes too. I have a post in there about how I organize my folders. http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2303505 When I first started Poser, I installed everything into the main Poser 5 runtime and I couldn't find anything!!!! I was so frustrated. Hope this information helps you. I'm just in the process of reinstalling my runtimes after a reformat (stupid CD's won't unzip). It's a lot of work to get organized, but once you have done it, it pays off. ************************************** I save my master poser files to CD's based on the artist, except in the case of DAZ files, which are saved by catalogue number. When I am installing files onto my hard drive, I put a copy of that master file into a folder called "Installed". This folder is highly organized: V3 character addons: contains a copy of all of the base and head/body morph files, as well as every character addon that I have installed. These files are further sorted by artist. For example if I have 5 character addons from one artist, all those addons are in a folder under that artist's name. V3 clothes: contains a copy of all of the clothing files that I have installed to my hard drive. I have them sorted by "outfit". So everything for the MFD is in a folder called "MFD". Everything for the MCD is in the MCD folder. In cases where I have multiple items by an artist (IE: BVH), I put those outfits in a folder named for the artist. For each character I have, I have each of those folders above. Lights: a copy of all of my master light files are in this folder. Poses: a copy of all of my master poses files are in this folder. Animals: a copy of my master animal files are in this folder. Hair: Again a highly organized structure. I have a copy of the master hair files I have installed organized by hair style, as well as artist. Some hair styles have many texture addons, the hair and all of the texture addons go into a folder named for the hair, and in the case of multiple hair styles by an artist (IE: Koz), into a folder named for the artist. I do this for each type of runtime folder that I have. I then burn the files to CD for ease of future install. This way I don't need to search through all of my CDs again looking for what I had installed.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

AnnaKirsten ( ) posted Tue, 05 July 2005 at 4:52 AM

WOW! And thanks - I think this'll keep me busy and well out of the area of creation for quite some time! lol! You've been really helpful, and I have bookmarked the various links to refer to as well. Nicky.

AnnaKirsten

My Website

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.