Mon, Sep 23, 6:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Poser to Carrara imports????

CatLord&Dragon ( ) posted Sat, 10 February 2001 at 9:24 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 6:17 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_147389.jpg

I have been looking for anything that would allow me to import a Poser scene into Carrara like we can with the old RDD5 (w/ patches). Does anyone know how to do, or even IF it can be done???? Also, I'm kind of wondering if anyone knows where I can get free models of M-16A1 and M-60 machine guns--Please!Please!Please!Please! <:} --it would really help with a little centaurfilly project I'm building! thnx

Ex Malterra ( ) posted Sat, 10 February 2001 at 11:07 AM

i got carrara soon after it was released, and was bummed out right away that there was no poser plugin. i emailed metacreations, got the response that there were no plans for one, but that due to carrara's open architecture, third party plugins might be developed. aint heard anymore about it until your post. however, you can export your poser characters as *.obj and import them into carrara, but they won't be very posable. if you are just doing static stuff, this works great. for example, i did this about a year ago (it's been that long sinc i've had time to do fun stuff >;P) by importing poser figures and texturing/rendering in carrara http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=7816&Start=1&Sectionid=0&Form.Search=ex%20malterra good luck, i like your cenetaur

CatLord&Dragon ( ) posted Sat, 10 February 2001 at 12:28 PM

In fact, I used Carrara, as well as RDD, to help build her after exporting the obj from Poser. That's been some of my disappointment with Carrara--that, supposedly, it's a complete replacement for RDD & Infinity. However, with all its features, some things I could do in RDD, I just can't do in Carrara, so I keep them both :/ The centaur is almost ready to release, after I create her facial and other morphs. (That's really going to be a pain---!). I've really learned a lot just from doing this little project, I'm looking forward to producing the rest of my ideas.

doug770 ( ) posted Sun, 11 February 2001 at 1:44 AM

I got Carrara too from the start,and It has the potensial to be a GREATE program( with a poser plug in added) and I'm happy to hear that Curious labs bought it, because I generally stopped using it because it was a dead program. I just wish the new owners fix the problems and let this otherwise excellent program bloom..

CatLord&Dragon ( ) posted Sun, 11 February 2001 at 2:04 AM

I've got several products from Metacreations/FractalDesigns which were all supposed to be mutually compatable: Bryce, Poser, RDD, and Carrara. They weren't quite there, although they were closing the gaps with the plugins. But then everything got sold off and scattered to the four winds. I only hope the new owner!S! keep working together to ensure the compatability. Just on the safe side, I've been backing up all my patches and plugins downloaded over the months, and keeping all my old versions. However, I've only got P4.03.126, RDD5.02 and Bryce4.1. Everything else out there that's supposedly higher upgrades are apparently lost with the sell off. I can't find them.

milamber42 ( ) posted Tue, 13 February 2001 at 7:12 PM

In an Eovia chat I read, it was stated that a Poser plugin was a possibility. Email Curious Labs and ask them about a plugin for Carrara. They did plugins for MAX and Lightwave. I emailed Steve Cooper about this before it was announced that Carrara had a new owner. Maybe now that they have an owner, CL will work with them on a plugin. Showing a demand for it will help.

snakeyes ( ) posted Wed, 14 February 2001 at 9:29 PM

How bout we round up about 1,000 poser users and request curious labs for a poser4 plugin for carrara. I dont have carrara but I would buy it if there was a plugin to import poser 4 scenes. It might not happen if we're not heard, so we got to work together. who's with me ??!!!! leave your email addresses by posting a reply here, and if i get enough responses, we can voice out our demand to CL.

Kolschey ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2001 at 6:17 AM

Hey, I'm in!

ClintH ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2001 at 7:56 AM

Oh yea. Count me in. chawkins2@charter.net Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

dave3 ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2001 at 1:30 PM

Me too! I was so pissed when they "upgraded" the programs, and they didn't talk to each other anymore! dnelson@diagnostic.com

CatLord&Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 8:22 AM

I'm in, too. In fact, I've just sent it. Below is the copy of what I just sent Currious Labs. Anyone know which email address to use for Correl's Bryce division? Dear Sirs, I am an avid user of Poser and 3D modeling products from other companies, including Metacreations' Carrara. I find that these products are of great flexibility, reliability, and ease of use for creating models, scenes, and animations. There is just one issue which irritates me in using them: The lack of compatibility between the various products out there. I hope you can help me and other 3D artists by taking note of our concerns and work with your colleagues in building the bridges linking these otherwise invaluable applications. I know that other competing companies charge exorbitant prices for products that are only marginally better in the quality of animations. However, Metacreations had created many of these 3D animation and modeling products and made them quite affordable, and thus, provided quite an inroad for many starving artists. For reasons still unclear to many of us, Metacreations has divested their interest and quit supporting these products. It was very kind and wise of your company to see that this valuable resource would not die off. But, please, since you have made such an investment by picking up Poser as your own, don't let it die of neglect! Please provide us a Plug-in for exporting scenes and animations to Carrara and importing finished Carrara scenes and animations back to Poser so that myself and others can continue to use these products to display what we have in our minds' eye. Thank you, Terrell Vance

CatLord&Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 8:25 AM

I'm still working on her facial morphs--Please be patient--Lilhov's been pretty patient for getting her build just right.

ClintH ( ) posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 8:26 AM

I'll check with FastTraxx on the Bryce contact........ Back soon. Clint

Clint Hawkins

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

KenS ( ) posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 3:01 PM

Attached Link: http://venus.corel.com/nasapps/FeedBack/index.html

ya might try Corels Feedback forum

ClintH ( ) posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 4:25 PM

Thanks FastTraxx! Regards, Clint

Clint Hawkins

(Zakk Wylde (2007))

snakeyes ( ) posted Sat, 17 February 2001 at 10:57 AM

good work catlord, keep us posted on any reply from CL

CatLord&Dragon ( ) posted Sat, 17 February 2001 at 4:44 PM

file_147390.jpg

Thanx, too, FastTraxx! Torpedoes...AWAY!!! (Image from EliteGoliath http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=106&Form.ShowMessage=229819 I hope he doesn't mind--but it's such a *cool* blast;) I wonder if it was anyone we knew...? )

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.