Thu, Oct 3, 1:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: any way to display render time in p6?

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 9:47 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:26 AM

I'm trying to cpompare a new amd 64 system to my older p4 system, to decide if it stays or goes. The new system uses shared ram, and has a faster mobo, but the amd64 is cloked slower then my old pent 4 (kinda of odd, unless amd64s perform faster with a slower clockspeed then pent 4s. the old pent 4 system is clocked at 2.6, and the amd 64 is clocked at 2.2. anyone have experience with comparing these? also any way to display actual render times so I can fairly compare them? opengl display is faster (new pci express graphics card), but I'm wondering about render horsepower, plus lightwave is adding a 64 bit version any day now, so that will speed developement.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

zulu9812 ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 10:08 AM

I don't think Poser can display render times - it'd be handy though. I know Bryce displays render times, so maybe Daz studio will include that functionality

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 10:35 AM

I don't think I've seen mention of it either. might have to install lightwave to do a check.

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 10:56 AM

garee, If I'm not dreaming, the P6 cached renders are named by render time. If you look in the dialog at the bottom of the render window where they're listed, they should each have a time (as a name). mac

tcobb ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 11:06 AM

I believe that is the time (of day) that the image was rendered.

tcobb ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 11:07 AM

I believe that is the time (of day) that the image was rendered.

3DMark ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 11:13 AM

I use a stop watch, have to sit thru it though, and inaccurate

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 11:32 AM

If you do two renders in a row (start next as soon as first is done) those cached files will give you the difference.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

destro75 ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 12:39 PM · edited Sun, 07 August 2005 at 12:42 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=2350666

In the attached thread, in post 1, I had attached my Render Buddy python script. One of the benefits of this script is that it tells you exactly how long (hh🇲🇲ss.ms) your render took.

There are detailed notes on the usage of the script. The file, when uploaded was free of virii, so I am pretty sure it is still virus-free.

It has a ton of useful functions that should help beyond the simple timing issue. It includes options to render Shadow-Only, Color-Only, Both, or any combination thereof, without your intervention. (Saves a ton of time you could spend elsewhere.)

So far, I don't think many people have downloaded it. I am open to feedback, but I have yet to receive any, so I figure people aren't using it. Hopefully, you take a look, it will help, and maybe you could give me some feedback!

Hope this helps!

Blast it all, wrong thread. I should have looked before I linked it. Sorry, I will directly post the script below, sorry for the inconvenience!

Message edited on: 08/07/2005 12:42

destro75 ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 12:46 PM

file_281661.jpg

Here is the actual script. I don't know where the thred is now. The file is still virus free, I scan every day, so you can be pretty sure that there is nothing lurking here. (Just make sure you rename it ending in .py)

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 1:09 PM

thanks much!

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 2:12 PM

'I believe that is the time (of day) that the image was rendered' Thanks for correcting me, tcobb. And thanks to CL for including such useful info in P6. I'm always wondering what time of day it is, and I only have about 10 clocks. LOL. Now I remember why I render in daz studio. At least it gives me information that's of some practical use. mac

odf ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 6:36 PM

I actually open the process manager before and after the render and compare the CPU times of the Poser process. I don't know how accurate these are in Windows, but I guess they will be good enough for what most people need. For me, that's the only way that really works, because I usually set Poser to low priority and do other things with my machine while it renders.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

odf ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 6:39 PM

Thanks for the script, destro75! I will have a look at it.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 9:42 PM

Well, I haven;t tired th escript yet, but running poser 6 1600x1200 is MUCH faster then my old rig running 1280x1024, so I'm pretty happy with it so far. Plus this system has more ram, (2 gig fast dual channel shared), so it's more robust that way as well. I'm going to leave outlook express, and my usenet downloadin n such on the old system, so this one won't have the overhead missing from those apps as well. Everything's networked together, so once I get vue 5 infite, I'll have this main new system, and 2 additional systems I can use as rendercows.

bluecity ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 11:19 PM

The Athlon 64 has much better raw floating point performance and an integrated memory controller. Most benchmarks I've seen has it destroying the P4 in rendering.

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 07 August 2005 at 11:40 PM

An Athlon64 running at 2.2 Ghz is a lot faster than a P4 at 2.6 Ghz, unless the application is specifically optimized for the P4 architecture. That Athlon64 also has a rating like 3200+, 3400+ or something like that. A 3200+ performs about the same as a P4 running at 3.2 Ghz for most applications. Does your AMD have 512 KB cache or 1 MB cache? 1 MB performs significantly better with Poser. Is it Socket754 or Socket939? Socket939 means dual channel DDR support, also a nice performance boost. A P4 2.6 probably has dual channel support, and probably also hyperthreading support. Hyperthreading won't speed up your machine, but it'll be more responsive when you are rendering. An Athlon64 doesn't have hyperthreading. The newest ones, Athlon64x2, are actually two CPUs on the same chip, and those are faster than anything Intel has produced yet. Don't be fooled by the raw Ghz of the CPU clock!

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2005 at 8:01 AM

It's socket 939 with the dual channel support. Amd decreased the chache size, because using dual channel ram, the chache has less impact. It's a 3500+ The P4 didn't have dual channel support (it's in a 2.5 year old rig, before dual channel was available.) I'm hoping (but not seriously) that we see a P6 64 bit version as a sr update, but the code may be too oold to compile specifically for 64 bit tech. since I have 2 gig ram now, (I can actually toss some in from the other machine as well), increasing the bucket size also seems to speed rendering up quite a bit. The real test, will be when Lightwave's 8.5 update is released, and it has built in 64 bit support, and faster opengl performance as well. I'm also running the desktop much higher res as well (1600x1200 vs the old system's 1280x1024). and I'm still seeing very dramatic speed increases. (MUCH nicer having more real estate in P6!) UT2004 is running "holy shit!", and 1280x1024 with framerates around 100 or more most of the time. The P4 does have hyperthreading, but when I'm rendering, I'm usually off doing something else.. plus with the dual side by side rigs now, I can also web bbrowse or read email/forum posts on the old system while rendering.

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2005 at 10:22 AM

I'd already be very happy if they ran the existing P6 source through an MS compiler with the /G switch, then it'll be able to use 4 GB of RAM under WinXP64.... Should work, there's no legacy 16 bit code in P6, because it does run on WinXP64.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.