Fri, Oct 4, 5:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: Do you use the Hair Room? Do you like it?

joezabel ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2005 at 9:48 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 3:43 PM

Actually I haven't even tried the Hair Room yet, but I thought I'd ask. All the Tutorials I've browsed on the subject put a lot of emphasis on characters with all their hair standing on end. And I haven't seen where the final product is showcased like it's really something worth having. The Poser 6 Revealed book just has one shot of Jame with the finished hairpiece, and it looks like a really bad wig. I've seen a few gallery shots that seem to use the hair to some advantage, but these are usually highly stylized shots, and the hair doesn't really look natural. It seems really thick, like it was made with thread. But of course, if the hair really DID look good, how would you know it was hair room hair? You'd just think that it was Kozaburo hair, or some nice post work. So I'm asking, who uses the hair room? Get anything good out of it? Inquiring minds want to know...:)

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2005 at 9:57 PM

I like dynamic hair for animation. In my gallery, "Mermaid," "The Dancer," and "Windblown" all use dynamic hair.

Tiari ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2005 at 10:08 PM

IMHO, I don't like the hair room, and now forget it is even there. Oddly, it was the promise of the hair room that prompted me to buy P6. I find i get better and less frustrating results hand painting hair.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2005 at 10:15 PM

file_287986.png

I'm not very good at painting hair, so I love dynamic, even for stills. This is a combination of prop and dynamic hair. Basically, the part trailing in back is dynamic.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2005 at 10:17 PM

file_287987.png

This is 100% dynamic hair. Prop hair doesn't do curly well, and it doesn't do flying up or hanging upside down well.

danamongden ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2005 at 10:19 PM

I use dynamic hair all the time. Probably my best results were in my "Submission", "Invoking Power", and "Happy Fourth to a Gorgeous Marine". I've read through some half-decent tutorials, but mostly it was a LOT of trial and error, figuring out which dials did what and appropriate value ranges for those dials. Mostly it's really good for situations where the head is at a funny angle so that the hair would not drape down in a natural, predictable way. In those cases, it's much harder to get the posable transmap hair to do what you need. It's possible (particularly some of the highly morphable Quarker hairs), but it's harder. With dynamic hair, you just have set the dials right and let the math do the rest. Additionally, I think that the dynamic hair highlights are more realistic. The highlights for transmap hairs are often drawn into the texture and may not be in the right position for the lights in your scene. However, getting a broad range of hair colors is hard with dynamic. Yes, you can get a full range using the Hair material node, but in many cases, they don't look very convincing. I've managed a decent red, black, and brown, but I'm yet to get a good blonde, even though the default Hair material is a dirty blonde. I'm convinced that enough trial and error will result in a decent blonde, but I'm not there yet. The bottom line is that dynamic hair is currently more work in most cases, but I generally think it's worth it.

danamongden ( ) posted Tue, 30 August 2005 at 10:24 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Here are the direct links to make it easier:

Submission
Invoking Power
Happy Fourth

Most of my other pics also use dynamic hair, but those are the best examples IMO.

Casette ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2005 at 1:55 AM

I dont use it because I couldnt find a good tut. Geeps one is good for know basic movements in the room, but my results are always bad and without bright... testing it and comparing with classical transmapped hair, the second one wins

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2005 at 2:06 AM

As with everything Poser, if you don't use it and take the time to learn how it works. It's useless. But when you sit down and actually start getting the hang of it, you can achieve some excellent results. Is it easy to learn? Nope! But it's worth it in my opinion.

Tiny ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2005 at 5:06 AM

file_287988.png

I use it for fur on animals and mane/tail on the MilHorse.

It took some time to get the hang of it but after that it is lots of fun (and good use) to work with it.

The puppy in the picture is not all done yet.
Lyne's texture on the horse.

joezabel ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2005 at 6:29 AM

Thanks! These are some really fine examples of how the Hair Room can be used. I especially liked the animated examples-- you could never do that with transmapped hair. BTW, I wonder if anybody ever tried to turn tranmapped hair into dynamic cloth. It probably would have lots of problems, but it would be interesting to see. I have a Mac, so it would probably crash if I tried it. Any Mac-related issues with the Hair room? Does it crash often?

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2005 at 6:41 AM

Attached Link: Studio Verite

I'm a PC user, so I can't offer any advice about the Mac version.

However, I highly recommend Kirwyn's "Genesis Hair" for all P5/P6 users. He's got free versions for V3 and Jessi in free stuff. Read the readme; it's a great tutorial on how to optimize dynamic hair.

Studio Verite also has some good tutorials, especially the "creating a wedge" one (for styling).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.