Wed, Oct 9, 6:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: To 'Critique' or not to 'Critique'... Please leave your opinion...

Colm_Jackson ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 11:33 AM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 6:14 AM

To 'Critique' or not to 'Critique' Ok... We are all new to this forum and it is only two day's old but we all seem to be really getting into it and having a great time. Finally we have found a home here on Renderosity where we can establish ourselves as a group. Gone are the day's of posting our work into the gallery and feeling real lucky if we got one comment and 10 veiws... One thing that I would really like 'all' your oninions on is 'critique'... For instance: When an image is posted should we say "Maybe the focusing is a bit off" or "had you have cropped out the telegraph pole potruding from her head it would have made this picture so much better". I for one am definately worried about offending people. I also have been critiqued on many occasions in my 3D work and it can hurt. I believe we have to honest with each other. How else are we going to learn from each other and grow and get better? My vote is for 'Honest, fair and nicely put critique'... Please leave your opinion below... Colm...

leighp1 ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 12:09 PM

I believe that the only way to learn and better ourselves is to be critiqued. If we just simply say, oh this or that looks great, then how will we ever get better when we think what we are doing is already good cuz everyone has said such nice things... The way I handle things like this with the Poser stuff I am asked to look at is...I will first start off by telling something nice I see in the image...Lets say eyes...Then if the hair or pose doesn't look right, I will say , but I always try to tell how I would have done it. And I always try to leave off with a nice comment to end it. I think doing it that way tends to let the person know from the first that you like what they did, but there are things you would have changed... I hate hurting people's feelings...I am so afraid I will step on toes or really crush someone when they think they have done a great job... I encourage that anything I post here or anywhere, if there is something that needs to be changed, please tell me...I am very new to all of this so I can use any and all help!! Just my opinion!! Leigh

Jack Casement ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 4:27 PM

I really don't see any point in posting pictures if we don't want fair comments on our "masterpieces". I am not in the business of saying "look what a clever boy I am" . If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Please feel free to be as cruel about my work as you like. Speaking as someone who was on the club judging circuit for fifteen years I learnt how to be constructive without being destructive. We all had to start sometime and if we don't have our faults highlighted what's the point of it all.

Marshmallowpie ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 7:17 PM

Critique, please... I need it!

Syyd ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 8:36 PM

Whip me, beat me, chain me.....No seriously, I wish someone would beat the hell out of my stuff, how can we open our eyes to new horizons if somebody who sees differently than us, is not allowed to point that out?

Marshmallowpie ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 3:00 AM

Exactly Syyd...... First time I uploaded here, the only comments I got were 'Great work, excellent job, keep them coming' etc. Now how is that supposed to help me? I know I'm not THAT good! As for whip me, beat me, chain me..seen the pic of me and hollowmen in the Members gallery? ~M~

Antoonio ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 7:48 AM

Constructive criticism is always welcomed. If my pics suck, I want to know it. Else, soon I'll be living in clouds, with me myself and I. I'm not perfect, you are not perfect, there are always something to say, something more than "good". This is common problem there, in galleries, so lets not build your twisted pink cotton wool world here too. One "I dont like your pic, becouse ________." Is giving me more than 10 sweet kisses in my butt. -N

RodolfoCiminelli ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 12:44 PM

Colm I believe a thing that when the comment (because I don't like the critical word too much), it is very deliberate and that it is good to improve our work it is always welcome, personally I am very happy of being in Renderosity, and this perhaps hurts me to say it I have the recognition that I don't have in my country with my work, there is my picture that correspondent went to a competition in my country and not you which futhe reason so that I/you/he/she was rejected, I believed in her and I announced it in Renderosity, today is inside the pictures but seen, then as I won't be happy that they look and comment my work, I say this because it is it but grandiose that has happened me in photographic artist's life. Rodolfo

Antoonio ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2001 at 8:01 AM

Oh, typo above, I ment to say OUR, not your. Sorry about that Colm. -N

kewasi ( ) posted Mon, 05 March 2001 at 4:52 PM

Started posting in the poser gallery because I feel there is where I can get honest comments from people who have far more experience than me.Its not being critical...its handing down experience, and insight.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.