Mon, Oct 21, 11:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Strange things happen with textures & meshes.

liftan ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 7:09 PM · edited Fri, 18 October 2024 at 5:11 AM

Hi, _I just bought a new computer with a much better video-card ans a better resolution...but now, I have a problem applying textures and with the details when I try the menu "create" with meshes (mountains)...Even with the "motion", static" and "selected" to the maximum _64-128-128, autolod or not, it gives awful mountains and the textures are awful too, which never ghappened before with my old computer having a simple 1 Mega video-card and VGA resoltion 800600 or 640480. I even have changed my resolution 1024*768 to these ones, or bigger ones, but my work seems now to be impossible, and the renderings are terrible, I have no idea why. I always use "fine-art", anti-alias maximum, and "Spatial Optimization High"... _I really don't understand why this kind of things have happened with a much better video-card than my old simple VGA old one. Can someone explain me this phenomenon ? Thanks a bunch to all that would answer. Would Bryce work better with bad computers ???!!! Alfie(liftan) e-mail: wunskan@hotmail.com

inyerface ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 8:06 PM

video card means nothing to bryce.

Norbert ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2001 at 11:15 PM

Maybe now, you are finally seeing your Bryce scenes being rendered the way they have actually looked all along??

liftan ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 9:09 AM

Hi, Thanks for your answers. _So, Okay, video-card has nothing to do with Bryce. _But in this case, why does Bryce give me now shitty renderings ? It is the same software, if the video-card has nothing to do with it, why do I still see my old pictures made with my old video-card as good as before and the same quality WITH MY NEW VIDEO-CARD and new computer, why do these old pictures appear perfect compared to what I try to build now with the new puter ? ? And why can't I get the same quality now ? About the second answer (by Norbert), I think I don't speak good english enough to get what you said: Does it mean that my Bryce scenes are seen by other ones worse than they appeared to me when I SEE THEM ON MY MONITOR with my old computer ? Do I create them now bad because of my new computer ? Is that waht you mean ?...don't think so, because I can see my old pictures made with the old computer, and they look as "good" as before with the new one when I look at them with any old or new viewer.... So, the old pictures I made before are still seen rendered good, and then only the ones I try to make now are impossible to render well with the same quality meshes are very bad - the shapes are gross- even in detailed definition, and the textures I apply are gross too(the same Bryce presets textures that came good before !)...well, only look crappy (kind of glossy mountain's textures - they look like cake-textures !!!), too much soft, shiny and inaccurate, without any bump,not at all what the same textures were given with my old puter, awful for mountains, too soft not at all what they looked before...??? _What I mean is the same textures appear totally awful when I am creating the same objects as before...same for the mountains (terrains) meshes, they are now totally gross... same resolution, same hi-color 800*600 as before. _My question was: Why ? If I was clearer with these details, maybe you can help me to find out the reason why (I now got a AGP 64 Megas video-card). Thanks for what you can do to explain me. I still don't get it... Bye. Cheers. liftan(Alf) email: wunskan@hotmail.com

Flickerstreak ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 1:29 PM

Liftan, Maybe you accidentally enabled OpenGL or Sree3D modes for viewing. This is controlled by click-and-hold over the wireframe/render toggle button on the right side of the screen. Perhaps your new video card supports OpenGL and your old one didn't. The video card should have nothing to do with the actual Bryce render. Maybe your new video card has a different gamma (brightness) setting than your old, and the colors are appearing too dark or washed-out. This requires simply adjusting your monitor brightness and contrast until you're satisfied. If your old video card was simply VGA, only 256 colors, it will look much different now that your new one supports millions of colors. This could be the difference you're seeing: in this case, what you're seeing now is what you're supposed to see for the textures and bump mapping. Perhaps you could show us a rendered picture on your old system and the new system? Try moving one of the pictures created on your old system to the new system, and viewing it: if the picture still looks OK, then there is some bizarre interaction between Bryce and your new system that's screwing things up. Normally Bryce is completely uncaring about the processor and video card, except to know whether or not it supports OpenGL. --flick

ironbrew ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 1:33 PM

Seems a strange one Liftan,when you put your new video card in did you set the desktop to true color 32 bit? only thing I can think of is maybe the desktop is set to a lower setting.

Deathbringer ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 1:35 PM

Ok here we go.. No Bryce does a great job at rendering scenes, although a bit slow..hehe. You may be having a driver issue on your computer.. Check and make sure you update to the latest drivers.. DirectX 8.0, OpenGL drivers for you card, things like that. Also a thing you might try is to rerender the scenes that you know looked good and see what happens, do they look the same or worse. Once they are done save them and look at the two pictures on a different machine. If they are truly different...?? I got no idea why, the rendering engine should not be effected by the machine its on good or bad, the only thing that will make a difference will be the speed it renders. Hope that helps.

douglaslamoureaux ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 2:06 PM

file_150331.jpg

So my new computer does funny things too, but only under Windows NT and only when I render a scene at larger than screen resolution, and scale it down (within Bryce). The problem appears to be an antialiasing routine in the card drivers for NT. There is no problem with running the same scene under Win 98. The scene isn't compromised and the resulting picture still looks fine when looked at using photopaint or photoshop or any other picture software. Don't let these guys mislead you and tell you that Bryce is video card independent. Attached is a picture showing the affect. I did a screen capture using paint shop pro6. Actually I liked the affect.I rendered it at 2048 x 1576 and displayed it at 1024 x 768. But this scene also shows the benefit of NT. The tree model was 57Meg and loaded up with no problems in NT. Windows 98 chokes at about 15Meg.

Deathbringer ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 2:22 PM

Sorry if you got the idea that I was refering to his video card as causing Bryce to have problems.. Bryce doesn't care what card you have for rendering, the only thing that effects is onscreen update or display information. Yes Windows does choke with a large object like that. I am curious what you mean by "scale it down within Bryce" If you render to disk it shouldn't care?? Explain if you can, thanks.

liftan ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2001 at 10:47 PM

Hi again and thanks so much to ALL of you for your advices, even if there are some controversies,(but please don't argue between you, guys, just to try helping me, hi hi) I'm gonna work at it, I'll find out working on it, having had your help ! Love you all ! _Your help was precious and I really personally appreciate that you were many to answer me. I am very happpy too that such a forum can exists. _With all the hypothesis & alternatives you gave me, I can only try each and everything you said, and then at least some of them will fix my problem , I'm sure. _That's why I have to thank you all. Cheers...will let you know...and YOU will see too, next time I'll put my next pix on the site, if the problem has been fixed or not, right ?!! hi hi...if you want vomit when you see the next pix I make, then it will mean: 1) I have no talent 2) I have no skills 3) Both 4)Or either you were all wrong..and there is really a weird thing happening !!! (LOL) Cheers. Thanks a lot. Alfie(liftan) wunskan@hotmail.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.