Mon, Sep 9, 7:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: How to make this car shine?

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 3:57 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 12:12 AM

file_298030.jpg

I got this at Poser Pros as a free item, however, I can't figure out how to make the paint look shiney like a car should. Mine looks like it was painted with a flat paint :(

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

cyberscape ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 4:20 AM

Attached Link: Freebase's shiney car method

This is a mini-tute that I bookmarked awhile back. I tinkered with it a little bit in P5. I'm guessing this method will work in P6(?) Hope it helps :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

cyberscape ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 4:22 AM

Make that 'FreeBass'. The link also leads to a bunch of other freebie cars!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 4:36 AM

Thank you :) Lots to work through at that link... it seems to branch off to a few other threads, but I'll read them all and see what I can pick up.

cyberscape ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 5:00 AM

You betcha! The other threads combined should head you in the right direction. Another possiblity I just thought of is playing around with reflection maps on the 'painted' areas. Good luck with this!

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 5:06 AM

hehe, I'm really new to the material room. I've been able to add material to items, and even change colours of hair and clothing, but I don't know anything about nodes yet. I've tried to play around with them and managed to get a sorta kinda reflection in a floor, but it wasn't very good. I still need to see examples and then duplicate what has been done in order to get the hang of things in that room. I am learning though. 3 months ago I couldn't even change the colour of anything :)

destro75 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 5:08 AM

Well, you can try starting off with attaching an anisotropic node to the Alternate Specular channel. If that doesn't do it, try a glossy node. Hope that helps!

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 5:22 AM

Gah! Part of my problem is that I have no clue what those words mean, LOL I'll give that a try too and see what happens :) To me they should stick to simple terms like "shiney", "reflection" etc. This "Anisotropic" sounds like something out of an anthropology book ;)

modus0 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 5:33 AM

Templargfx has a set of car color materials in the freestuff here that look pretty good.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 5:41 AM

Thanks :) He must have removed them because there is a 404 error now when you click "download".

destro75 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 5:55 AM

Click on the little button on the Alternate Specular channel. This should bring up the add node popup. Go to Specular, then to Anisotropic. Don't worry about changing any of the values right now, just simply add the node. You won't immediately see any results in the Preview mode. You have to actually render to see the effect of the node. When you do, make sure you render with Raytracing enabled. I would suggest for the initial test renders, use the Manual Settings, and uncheck the Shadows, Smooth Polygons, Displacement Maps, & Texture FIltering. I would turn on the Remove Backfacing Polys. 2 Raytrace Bounces should be fine for your testing. And turn the Post Filter down to 1. I think the Anisotropic should give you what you want, but if not, do the same thing with a Glossy node, available in the same place as the Anisotropic. Hope that helps!

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 6:13 AM

hehe. I'm one step ahead... It's already rendering. Not sure how it looks yet though. I'll post a pic once it's done. I used that Anisotorpic node for the car, and the glossy for the wheel well and rims. Gah... I didn't do all those render settings. I just did the normal ones that I use for when I render a figure. I'll have to go back and render again and try those other settings. Funny... I contemplated about that raytracing, but the few times I tried it before it didn't look any different than having it turned off. So I never bother with it. I'll try it with the car though.

destro75 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 6:23 AM

Well you need the Raytracing on for a number of effects. The settings I gave you were for the initial testing, you would want to do the opposite of each for final renders. The settings I gave you were for speed, as opposed to quality.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 6:52 AM · edited Wed, 19 October 2005 at 6:56 AM

file_298031.jpg

I started with the simplest method using the Anisotropic node. This is the result. Later when I wake up I'll try the method at that link. It's a bit more indepth than I can manage right now.

Hmmm. I just noticed that it looks like there isn't any glass in the window areas.

Message edited on: 10/19/2005 06:56

Kristta ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 8:03 AM

Wow, that turned out nice. Definite bookmark so I can go get that link when I get home.

JHoagland ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 9:38 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=28168

The first (and obvious) suggestion: Use Poser 5 or Poser 6 since they support true reay-traced reflections. Next, add reflective materials to the surfaces. I recommend ShadowDaleCreations' "Magic Mirror" set- it includes reflective car colors. --John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

pigfish9 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 12:51 PM

I use Magic Mirror on lots of things but I wanted to add that it has textures for auto glass, amber glass, etc. as well as the car paint colors.

Robo2010 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 11:06 PM

Have a link to the car? Is it still a freebie?

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2005 at 11:09 PM

It is if you have any freebie credits left, otherwise it's $30.00 at Poser Pros.

nakamuram ( ) posted Thu, 20 October 2005 at 12:25 AM

Cars -- My second favorite render subject!! I got the same car from PoserPros "Buy One Gey One Free Sale." Have you tried TemplarGFX's "158 Car Materials" in FreeStuff? They work well in P6. Plus you get other (including interior) materials as well.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 20 October 2005 at 2:08 AM

I searched for it and found the download, but I get a 404 error when I click the download link. It seems the file has been removed. I did find the parent directory where the file was hosted, but while the .jpg file is still there, the actual materials file isn't.

nakamuram ( ) posted Thu, 20 October 2005 at 9:20 PM

Maybe you should contact TemplarGFX via instant message or e-mail. The address in the .zip file is: Templargfx@netspace.net.au If you can't contact Templar, I think I can send you a copy. There's nothing in the .zip that restricts re-distribution.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 20 October 2005 at 10:42 PM

Thanks, I'll email and ask. If he no longer has the file, I ask about permission to get a copy of it from you. He may have removed it for a reason. So I'll wait and see what he says. Thank you :)

lmacken ( ) posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 2:54 AM

I don't recall where I saw it*; but what they do is position a large, white rectangle above the car so ray-tracing gives a nice highlight that flows over the upper surfaces. *possibly no longer available at www.cardesignnews.com/studio/tutorials/index.php. But some Photoshop techniques there now may be of interest.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 4:19 AM

I heard from James (Templargfx). He was away for awhile and the file was accidently deleted by a family member. He's reuploaded the file so it's once again available for download in free stuff. I'm not sure if it's listed in the readme, but he asked that if his textures are used in gallery images here that his name be listed in the credits so that he can search and see all the great things people are making with them.

nakamuram ( ) posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 9:16 PM

I'm glad they're back. I'll gladly credit James on my next car render. I've learned a lot from using his materials.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 10:48 PM

This was an easier method to a shiney car.. at least for me. I'm still loving Templargfx's car materials. I use them for other things too besides cars.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 4:18 AM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.