Tue, Sep 24, 6:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:07 am)

Subject: Why attacking the free P3dO Rsr2Png ?

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 2:52 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 6:21 AM

Attached Link: http://www.senosoft.com

Recently P3dO has been attacked by a guy, just because I refused to give him information on the RSR file format - which is my right I suppose. I've been doing the P3dO explorer for years. During my leisure time. I've given it for free, even the Rsr2Png which I could have make a lot of money with. Even with P3dO pro, most of P3dO features are still free and usefull. This contribution to Poser is not minor and being attacked on a free feature (Rsr2Png) is something I really can't understand. I don't deny anybody the right to make better software. But I deny anybody the right to attack me, because he asked me informations and I dare to answer "no thanks". I feel indeed quite offended. Of course this won't change my freeware policy. Beside the words are the fact, and a new P3dO (1.7.8) is on the way (beta already available on my website). Yarp

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

barrowlass ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 3:04 AM

I use P3do and find it invaluable in keeping my Poser libraries/runtimes tidy-it's a great utility and many thanks for all your hard work and for providing it for free download

My aspiration: to make a decent Poser Render I'm an Oldie, a goldie, but not a miracle worker :-)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

AS3Design ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 3:21 AM

I would love to see P3DO being available for MAC too :) especially the rsr2png feature. I dont want it for free... I only want it :))

Turn your face to the sky... and the shadows will fall behind you...

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 3:32 AM

AS3Design, I thought there was a Rsr2Png for MAC OS X. I've been in contact with someone who did one, in April. I will contact him back and see where it is. Unfortuantely it was limited to the OS X version. Yarp btw It would be easy to make a MAC Rsr2Png but : - I don't know anything about MAC OSs, find it pretty confusing. - I would have to buy a MAC

AS3Design ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 4:06 AM

yes there is a rsr to png converter here in marketplace (and it works pretty good)... but what I need is the otherway: png to rsr. for my commercial packages. I have the possibility to send my pngs to my husbands PC and convert them there... but it would be much better to have "my own" converter ;-) but I understand your arguments... buying a mac ony for making a mac version of P3DO would be a little bit to much ;-) but may you could work together with the person who did the rsr to png converter? hint hint :))

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 4:24 AM

Quote - Recently P3dO has been attacked by a guy, just because I refused to give him information on the RSR file format

There's always one in the crowd. I wouldn't let it bother you :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Djeser ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 4:47 AM

I agree...brush it off, Yarp. I love P3DO, it's an invaluable tool. I'm particularly excited about the Scene Manager that's coming up, as I have a lot of stuff I'd like to selectively delete out of my runtime, but it's such a hassle finding the geometry and texture files. Your stuff rocks; don't let some jerk get you down.

Sgiathalaich

mrsparky ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 5:02 AM

Yarp Whining aboot cool stuff is a coomon disease here, it's called a**holeitus. Ignore them. You've got a great product there, which has saved all of us hours of time. Thank you.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Natolii ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 6:01 AM

Attached Link: Never make accusations that you cannot back up

Before anyone else starts on the poor Yarp line, here's the Truth for everyone to read. From reading the thread, Yarp made the attack on Dodger because Dodger went and discovered a secret that Yarp didn't feel the need to release for obvious reasons. Dodger made no attack on Yarp. Dodger in no way made mention P3D0 or an product. What Dodger did was post the results of his research which results in more people understanding RSR thumbnails and makes the RSR2PNG utility less useful to people. Now I understand why Yarp chose not to give out the information, but when someone like Dodger is presented a challenge, he solves it for the sake of solving the challenge. There was never an attack on P3d0 until Yarp made it one. And I have little to no tolerance for people that bend the truth so that they can gain sympathy.

elizabyte ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 6:07 AM

Dodger in no way made mention P3D0 or an product. Well, yes, he did. He said that the only thing he uses P3dO for is converting .png to .rsr and that now he won't need to do that. How that amounts to "an attack" I'm not sure. Perhaps there's something going on that the general public is unaware of. Who knows. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 6:11 AM

I wouldn't say Dodger "attacked" your software. He said he only uses P3dO for PNG to RSR conversion. That's an attack?

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 6:35 AM

Thanks all for your support. I know I should have ignored this but I this the reason why he attacked Rsr2Png that I couldn't stand. Anybody is free to say P3dO is rubbish, but not beause you personnaly want to ruin somebody's work. This is not honnest. There are many thread of people with problems with P3dO - one again this morning - I never felt offended by those. I perfectly understand people try to find another software. elizabyte, randym77, you're positively right this is not a direct attack but it is one. I got direct mails from him announcing he would do that because I didn't want to help him. I first wanted to ignore this but when I saw he was refering to P3dO is such terms I decided I had the right to make public the true nature of his thread : note that he doesn't say the contrary when he reply to my first answer. I couldn't stay quiet, but this is past story for me. I'll go back to work now and forget this all. Again thanks for your answers and support it helps. Yarp btw SceneManager will be a killer - I hope ;)

elizabyte ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 6:38 AM

Ah. Then my suspicion that something else was going on behind the scenes was correct. Makes more sense now, anyway. Thanks for the clarification. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Mystic-Nights ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 6:41 AM
AS3Design ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 6:50 AM

Mystic-Nights, do you know about a mac converter too? png to rsr, not rsr to png?

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 7:00 AM

For the record: Dodger's attack starts around Message 18 of the attack thread (a few below this one; I just discovered it, read it, and came back). If I had been subjected to a few nasty emails from Dodger (and I have, actually) followed by this "RSR REVEALLED!!!" announcement, it would be pretty clear to me that putting "ANYTHING" in caps wasn't a slip of the shift key. It's booger flicking, but it's an attack, and characteristic. Anyway, all hail Dodger, everybody's favorite bratty little brother, and Yarp gets to join the club of whiners who take things like fairness too seriously. Pull up a chair; the Guinness is warm and the table is crowded. Seriously: I appreciate the amount of work that goes into creating a great utility like yours. And I'm not sure I'd would tell Dodger the time unless he was catching a train. M

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 7:44 AM

mickmca, it's sure I'm a really straight forward guy. I Just wanted to put the lighs on. Now that I said what I had to say, please, let's stop this thread. Yarp

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 9:11 AM

Yarp, the Mac OS 9 png-to-rsr converter is called Poser Maconverter 1.1.8, and was written by Martin C. By the way, it also converts rsr to a thumbnail resource contained in the cr2 file, which differs somewhat from the Windows cr2 file structure. I believe Jim X. and fmorgan also wrote scripts to convert rsr to png, but not certain.

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 10:31 AM

Merci Franise. Ce qui me chagrine c'est que je me suis mal fait comprendre en anglais et que je suis passpour l'agresseur. Mais bon c'est oubli j'ai perdu une matin de travail il faut que je ratrappe le temps perdu. mateo_sancarlos, yes you're right. I had forgotten about that Martin C tool but I was talking of another tool. Someone contacted me in April - about the RSR file format ;) - and he eventually did a MAC OS X RSR <-> PNG converter. I have that tool on my computer. The guy is named Fernando. Yarp

AS3Design ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 10:50 AM

there is also a rsr to png converter by FMorgan (that one I bought and which works very well). the MaConverter by MartinC is also a good (neccessary) tool but for converting poserfile (cr2, pz2, ... ) and rsr to one Macfile for poser 4. so, all tools I found on web are for converting rsr to png (which does poser 5 or 6 automatically) or for poser 4. I didnt find any tool which converts png to rsr like the P3DO (for MAC).

Angel1 ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 10:58 AM

.....step back.....deep breathe......relax :-) Angel1

....Now Bring Me That Horizon....
Send IM | Gallery

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 11:04 AM

uh..wasn't Dodger banned over a year ago? his handle just got longer and longer..___dodger..;) Yarp makes good software, and Dodger's the raygun king..hate to do without either one of ya..
since the rsr format is part of Poser (at least the version I'm using), couldn't you get that kinda info at Eon? just wondering..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

lululee ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 11:14 AM

I have amazing appreciation for P3DO. I so appreciate the time you took to help me with a problem with the thumbnails I was working on. You took that time to help me with a product that you give away for FREE. I am sure there are far more of us who have real value for your expertise and generosity. I Hope one person's negative attitude will not dilute in your mind the respect and value most of us have for your product. cheerio lululee

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 11:27 AM

Yes, yarp, Fernando's username here is fmorgan. He has written several useful utilities for Poser and OS X.

AS3Design ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 11:30 AM

ah, didnt know ;-) have to go hint him to write a png to rsr tool :))

Foxseelady ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 1:14 PM

I'm not going to read anything more here. Because I would never be able to figure out the who's who or what's what. That said I did want to tell you, since the subject came up ;) I love P3do explorer! It's the second thing I install when I reinstall poser everytime. I run it almost as much as poser itself and use it mostly for moving files around within the library's and wouldn't want to be without it. It's especially great for hunting down the matching files for characters, pose, lighting or whatever. p.s I didn't realize there was an upgrade lol checking that out now. Thank you for your work it goes much appreciated by me.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 1:25 PM

Quote - it would be pretty clear to me that putting "ANYTHING" in caps wasn't a slip of the shift key. It's booger flicking, but it's an attack, and characteristic.

Not necessarily :) Sometimes I capitalize the letters of a word in order to emphasize it and make it stand out. I didn't know these forums allowed you to use HTML such as the < b >< /b > tags, so I would capitalize a word when I wanted to have it stand out. I still do that most of the time instead of using HTML because it's simply faster. It's "booger flicking" when you make the whole post in caps, not a word.

XFX3d ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 3:28 PM

For clarification, it went down more like this: 1) Dodger asked Yarp if he could share the secret behind the RSR file format. 2) Yarp replied to the effect that Senosoft is a commercial company and made like Dodger was asking for the source code of the program. 3) Dodger said, 'Okay, I'll ask CL and see what I can figure out on my own. You realise, however, that if I work this out on my own, I'll be posting it all over the poserverse.' This was said simply to explain to yarp that he'd just walked into an irony. Since he was considering it a 'trade secret', and since Dodger was likely to work it out on his own, Dodger wanted to make Yarp aware that he was in a bit of a catch-22. If Yarp declined to share the big secret, and Dodger worked out the big secret on his own, the big secret was not going to be a big secret, because Dodger doesn't operate that way. 4) Yarp didn't reply. 5) Dodger figured it out. 6) Dodger posted about it. 7) Yarp claimed that Dodger was attacking him, both in that thread and in a seperate smear campaign, here. The moral of this story seems to be that if you're going to have trade secrets, make them good ones, lest someone figure out the same thing and make your trade secret not-so-secret.

I'm the asshole. You wanna be a shit? You gotta go through ME.

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 3:43 PM

So, I was sure there was that MAC OS X converter. Thanks for the info mateo_sancarlos. lululee, I uploaded a new Rsr2Png version (on my website) that will fix the problem you had.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 4:51 PM

All I see in this thread is a "he said she said" type situation. Both sides have aired their grievance, I think it's best if it were settled off board rather than dragging it on here anymore. It's doing nothing to facilitate community in my opinion.

JHoagland ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 6:22 PM

I know this is an argument thread, but here's the easiest (and possibly "safest") way to convert rsr files to pngs: 1) Create your rsr in Poser 4. 2) Close Poser 4. 3) Open Poser Pro Pack, Poser 5, or Poser 6. 4) Open any Library. 5) There- Poser has now converted your rsr files to png format! And since Poser converted it, there's no need to worry about color depth or other issues. And you don't need any other program to do the conversion! If only Poser 4 would convert the png file back to rsr format. :) --John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

XFX3d ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 8:27 PM

Franise, vous svp appelleriez le temps qu'I "essaypour mettre des bons dans quelqu'un chariot roule?" Je dirais "l'autre temps" comme le faisiez vous, mais je n'ai pas fait que cette fois, l'une ou l'autre. Je n'ai jamais dit n'importe quoi mauvais au sujet de P3DO Fxplorer. Yarp, vous avez l'attaquant en n'importe quelle langue. En outre, vos protestations au sujet de moi partageant le format de dossier sont la seule chose qui a gaspillvotre matin.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 8:32 PM · edited Mon, 14 November 2005 at 8:33 PM

Many here do understand French :)

Please, why can't you guys take your spat off boards?

Message edited on: 11/14/2005 20:33

Francemi ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 8:36 PM

<< This means: You please would call the time he has tried to insert sticks in someone wagon run. ??? Sorry, I don't know what you want to say. My message was addressed directly to Yarp and he is French, that's why I wrote in French. That's it, no more no less.

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

Ironbear ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 11:39 PM

"I know this is an argument thread, but" - JHoagland

Not it's not. It's just mindless contradiction!

Did you pay for the five minute argument or the full half hour, John? ;)

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

XFX3d ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 11:46 PM

Francemi, we were referring to your accusation that Dodger has in the past tried to jam sticks in the wagon wheels of other software. We were asking when this has occured, as noone of us know of any time this can be claimed, and this sounds a lot like a personal attack without foundation.

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 11:48 PM

I agree with Acadia, everybody said what he had to say. Now please lock this thread.

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 11:50 PM

...or please everybody don't reply anymore. Thanks

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 12:27 AM

Confuscious Say - Man Who Stir Shit should not be surprised by smell it causes!

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 12:31 AM

Before it's locked, for what people need a rsr to png converter???? I only did the half (png2rsr) just because I don't find any use for the other half. For Mac users, sorry, I don't know nothing about Mac, so no converter from me for Mac.

Stupidity also evolves!

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 12:34 AM

Anyone knows the format of Bryce obp or Vue vob???? I'm lazy for reverse engineering!

Stupidity also evolves!

Dizzi ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 6:08 AM

Well, i need RSR to PNG to not have to browse all folders with Poser to get the PNGs...

Francemi ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 6:52 AM

XFX3D (we...) Don't know who "we" are but anyway, since "all of you" think it is a personal attack, I deleted that message. Don't want to start another war, we have enough here already. Now this being done, I will not reply anymore.

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

mickmca ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 8:15 AM

Personally, I'm grateful for this thread, because it reminded me that P3DO also works as a great graphics viewer, so I hauled it off to work, where I have eleventeen tons of photos I have to dig through a few times a week. Cheers and gratitude. When the new one comes out, I'll have my company buy it for me. And I won't use ANYTHING else!!!!! M Oh: ;)

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 9:14 AM

" Well, i need RSR to PNG to not have to browse all folders with Poser to get the PNGs..." I don't understand, you need do nothing, any time that you open a folder in Poser5/6 the png thumbs will be there, if there are only rsr thumbs Poser will do the conversion on the fly and the process is transparent for you. For Poser4 png thumbs are useless.

Stupidity also evolves!

Dizzi ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 9:42 AM · edited Tue, 15 November 2005 at 9:44 AM

But i don't use Poser's Library Palette for anything but saving stuff temporarily, kawecki. So i won't open any of the RSR-only folders with it and my browser only uses PNGs...

Message edited on: 11/15/2005 09:44

bevans84 ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 10:29 AM

I use P3dO Pro all the time, thanks Yarp. Keep forgetting where I put things, and it sure beats starting over with the poser drop-downs each time I change directories.

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 1:44 PM

" But i don't use Poser's Library Palette for anything but saving stuff temporarily, kawecki. So i won't open any of the RSR-only folders with it and my browser only uses PNGs..." I understand, you need something for browse the files. I think P3dO will allow you browse rsr and png thumbs. I use another approach for browsing, I have associated pp2, obj, 3ds and dxf with my PropViewer, so clicking in a 3d file I am able to see how it is, and I can see models inside zip files too!

Stupidity also evolves!

KarenJ ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 2:54 PM

Since the opening poster has requested this thread locked, I'm doing so. Karen

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.