Sun, Sep 22, 12:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Bi-Monthly Photographic Subjects, Monthly Award Two yearly Major Awards

Syyd ( ) posted Mon, 05 March 2001 at 9:26 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:46 AM

Dear Forum, I am asking you all for some input on the following ideas: We would like to start sending you all on local photo excursions if you will. We mentioned this in our introduction post a couple of pages back. What we would do is all decide on two monthly subjects, and all give our photographic interpretations of that subject. At the end of the month, two photographs will be selected for each category, and given a small graphic award, the judging would be done by everybody in the forum, not anybody in particular, or we could ask other forums to judge. Any ideas on this would be gratefully appreciated. Twice a year, I would like to run a contest, that would could generate sponsor interest in to hopefully supply two big "prized" awards, as opposed to a little graphics award, for recognition of your work, and to give you something back for helping us get this place started, and also to advance our skills along the way. Please let me know what you think.....this is not a popularity contest, its a photographic contest, and may you all have great fun in doing this. Thank you, Your Moderators

Tammy ( ) posted Mon, 05 March 2001 at 2:53 PM

I think its a great idea it sounds like lots of fun.

wyrwulf ( ) posted Mon, 05 March 2001 at 3:59 PM

I agree with Tammy. It sounds like it would be similar to the Rhino challenge.

Gwyn Tyger ( ) posted Mon, 05 March 2001 at 5:03 PM

i like the idea too. we need to come up with some ideas for the bi-monthly subject matter as well as some ground rules so all us are playing on a level field. it wouldn't really be fair to for everyone if i was able to just pull out one of my many photos and submit it. we should all have to start at ground zero and move from there. as a consequence of this starting gate type option, we should have subjects that are common or local to everyone. if both of you could come up with say six subjects for us to vote on, then let the games begin.

Syyd ( ) posted Mon, 05 March 2001 at 6:02 PM

Well, Gar, how about if we all throw a bunch of ideas forward. I never thought about the fact that right now you have flowers and rain, and we have snow and freezing cold. My first ideas were things like, a portrait, of you, or someone you know...or, industrial rust, or any rust....you'd be surprised what you can find in your own house, someone on my other forum mentioned that their barbecue grill was full of rust! Now as far as other guidelines, could you help me please? Thanks, Rave Ps Im glad you are here

Gwyn Tyger ( ) posted Mon, 05 March 2001 at 7:12 PM

some of my ideas for subject matter are: 1. Things around the house. 2. Things in the yard. 3. Shadows and Patterns. 4. Self Portraits. 5. Family Pet. 6. Something old, something new, something blue in one picture. 7. Family member. 8. Still life. 9. Guess what this is? 10.Improbable Still Life. Rules: 1. Picture must be taken after the start date. 2. Must be original work. 3. Color or Black & White ok. 4. Standard touch-up and rendering.

Marshmallowpie ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 2:21 AM

Competitions? Pressure? Gaah..! I like the idea of having subjects, but to me photography is a totally recreational thing and if I knew there was a competition going on, I'd be totally put off. That's just me being who I am though, I always put a lot of pressure on myself. Count me in on the subject-bit...but I cannot take photos (or do anything at all really) if the object is to win a competition. I still feel like I am a bit too much of an amateur to be 100% at home in this gallery/forum, and I don't have much time to do photography, nor can I afford it. Two rolls of film per month tops. I'm sorry, but at the moment I cannot handle any kind of pressure whatsoever...but I will certainly enjoy the work you all come up with. ~M~

Colm_Jackson ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 6:22 AM

Marshmallow... Just join in, in any way you can. No pressure... It's just a bit of fun. Colm...

Colm_Jackson ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 6:30 AM

Gwyn, some very good idea's there. I did think rule 4 maybe a bit restricting but now i'm not so sure. Maybe we should limit these comps to a more traditional approach. Colm...

leighp1 ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 6:59 AM

Its a fantastic idea. I love challenges even when I am not that good at them...Count me in on it. Wish I could come up with some ideas, but right now my brain is kinda numb...Too early in the morning!! Leigh

Marshmallowpie ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 6:48 PM

Hmm I've slept on the idea (yeah I was incredibly tired when I read about this last night) and now it all sounds good to me. Don't know what I was on about, guess I was having a bad night. Count me in!

vkharito ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2001 at 10:23 PM

Marshmallow, I gather that you're in NZ at the time, so it shouldn't be a problem for you to pick up an issue of UK's Practical Photography at a newsstand. This mag is full of photographic advice and even one issue will give you enough confidence and inspiration to participate in a competiiton. Grab it, grab your cam, and let it rip. I saw your work, I know you 're ready to do it. Don't let your talent be suffocated, don't feel strange about pitting your best pix against someone else's. Best luck.

Marshmallowpie ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2001 at 3:46 AM

Thanks vkharito!!! I'll look for that magazine... Hmm, and I've been out most of the night taking pics of the almost full moon.. very pretty. ~M~

RodolfoCiminelli ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2001 at 7:00 AM

Syyd: I find an excellent idea, always I find the participation of the members in this type of activities very interesting, if it could be divided in categories like portrait, landscape, etc, but that will see it you, I congratulate them dear moderators, and the encouragement to continue ahead with its good ideas that are good to improve and to make this page but big. Rodolfo Ciminelli

Syyd ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2001 at 10:00 AM

Thanks all, thank you Rodolfo, my very dear friend!~ I will be posting this weekend to the effect of where we can begin and get started!

billglaw ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2001 at 10:38 PM

My experience is that this sort of thing is better being done than discussed. If you hold the rules (suggestions)reasonably firm for each six months period it will do just fine. Increasing participation will mean some changes in site structure and linking but that will be shown by the way we all use the forum. Regards, Bill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.