Fri, Oct 4, 11:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: rough cloth

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 5:18 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 11:23 PM

Trying to do a blanket but need it to look like it's roughly woven cloth, and also need a burlap type texture. Any tutorials out there? Don't have the real manual for CS2 but I think it came with a pdf if someone has a page number. Bought the upd and it came with a booklet instead of a manual. Thanks, Marque

Angel1 ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 5:52 PM

....Now Bring Me That Horizon....
Send IM | Gallery

aprilgem ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 10:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.aprilgem.com/log/?p=199

I recommend finding a texture site and looking for the specific cloth you want, whether it's burlap or canvas or whatever, then using the tutorial I wrote, linked above. Also, I think some of the pattern presets in Photoshop include canvas or something equally burlap-like.

Marque ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 7:40 AM

Thank you very nice, but what I'm looking for is a way to create a roughness to the texture...like peasant clothing. Thank you for the tutorial though, will be using it as well! Marque

tantarus ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 9:37 AM

Use displace filter on the fabric texture :) Tihomir

Open your mind and share the knowledge!

Marque ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 2:24 PM

Ok, I'm dumb, where is the displacement filter? Marque

TrulyMadly ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 2:38 PM

Err, I think is where the rest of filter is. :P The preset pattern or rather texture helps to define the general background of the fabric. To enhance the realism, ie roughness of the material, sharpen it a little after using gradient map to enhance the shades of the weaving. Since the material is rough, of course light reflection is minimal, a dull colour might help. But then that is just what I will try on a 2D picture. Not sure if that is your intention and I am sure there is a better way out there which give better results. Hope this help a little.

tantarus ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 11:44 PM

Its under the filter-distort-displace, you can use the displacement maps that you get with the PS :) Tihomir

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 20 November 2005 at 12:07 AM

lol yes found it, put my glasses on and it made a world of difference. 8^) Thanks, Marque

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2005 at 6:11 PM

Ok, tried using the displace filter but it asks for a displacement map. Is there any place to find out how to do this? Thanks Marque

aprilgem ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2005 at 6:21 PM

Yeah. Have you tried the link I gave you? Everything's explained there.

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2005 at 6:49 PM

So I need to do a displacement map of rough cloth and then use it. Kind of like a catch 22, how do I do rough cloth in the first place? Very frustrating. Not looking to do folds. Sigh. Thank you though the tutorial is helpful in how to create the displacement map once I figure out how to create a rough cloth look. Marque

tantarus ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2005 at 7:05 AM

The default displacement maps are placed in C:Program files-Adobe- Photoshop-plug-ins-displacement maps. C: is my main partition, so look where you install PS and follow the rest of the link :) Tihomir

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.