Sat, Sep 21, 11:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Sorry, everyone...

inyerface ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2001 at 7:26 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 11:53 PM

I was told to delete the trees I made....

DigitalDream#3 ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 12:35 AM

What happened?

inyerface ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 9:15 AM

I made them with TreePro, and it is not permitted. I didn't know. I thought I could submit my creations. (unique variations are not mine to share??) Imagine if Bryce didn't allow it....

DigitalArtist ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 12:24 PM

Was it the Shareware or full version? If it was the fulll version...that's total crappola If not, then I understand why they wanted you to take it down. Best regards, -Matt

KenS ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 1:51 PM

I take it, it was Onyx Tree Pro, if so, ya-those guys really get my drawers in a bunch. any meshes genereated with their program cannot be redisributed. Regardless of how original or different they are from the preset trees. They have already shut down several great sites with tree meshes

inyerface ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 3:40 PM

file_154412.jpg

here's a great example of TreePro and Bryce modeling together.... (can THEY tell??)

DigitalDream#3 ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 3:50 PM

Really not a good sales pitch. "You are only renting our software".

inyerface ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 3:51 PM

Who really knows, and how could they tell?

coldrake ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 4:45 PM

What most people don't realize is that with Onyx Tree Pro you are not generating a new mesh from scratch like you would with say, Xfrog. Every tree you create starts with one of three basic meshes, broadleaf, conifer or Palm. These meshes are owned by Onyx Tree, just like the models that come with Poser are owned by Daz. All you are doing is manipulating the basic meshes and adding things to create different trees. Giving away the Tree Pro meshes is no different than taking the P4 Nude Male and morphing it into a new character and giving it away, and we all know how illegal that is. "Who really knows, and how could they tell? " "(can THEY tell??)" Actually yes, because all meshes created with Onyx Tree are based one of only three meshes. Even though they may be pushed, pulled, twisted, whatever, the basic mesh is still the same, just like a Poser figure. A good lesson to be learned about reading the license restrictions of software you buy. The bottom line is, whether you like the license agreement or not, you agree to abide by it when you install the software, and the fact remains that the meshes are illegal to distribute. Everyone should also be aware that if you did download any of the Onyx Tree meshes they are illegal to use and should be deleted from your hard drives. Just some information that a lot of people are probably not aware of. Coldrake

inyerface ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 5:59 PM

I mean, in this instance, who would know about the bell, unless I told them? (and how much other stuff is like that?) Bryce sees DXF or OBJ, not "Tree". The new PC version will be even more problematic for Onyx, with more formats available. I would still want the program, no matter how many models I aquired elsewhere, (just like with Poser).

coldrake ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 6:27 PM

About the bell, probably no one, unless they checked the mesh, but what's the point? None of it matters unless you are illegally giving away the mesh. Why even ask the question? I do hope you've taken down the Onyx Tree downloads from your web sites, I'd honestly hate to see you prosecuted and have your sites shut down. You've made an honest mistake and now you know better. Coldrake

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 6:29 PM

Thanks, I don't want the program. If they want to own the meshes I do, then they can create them. When an artist puts their hand to a media, the result is unique. Imagine being told I could not sell an oil because there was a rental agreement on the back of the paint tube? Apple guarded their coding and the inventors of this era turned to PC for a way to write their programs. As a result, consumers buy PC's because there's a wider variety of programs available. Think of all the tree plugins that could be available. Oh well, its their choice.

DigitalDream#3 ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 7:03 PM

Not a product I would interested in anymore.Maybe they want some to do the artistic work and they get paid for it.

inyerface ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 7:10 PM

file_154417.jpg

I started with Bryce2Demo. Sharing benefits the community, and promotes the product. I would love to trade tree files with other Onyx users, the way we do here with uhhhhh, how many 3D programs?

coldrake ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 8:15 PM

EricofSD, some of the artists here have created some incredible characters by manipulating Poser figures, and the artistry in them is certainly unique, but you still can't give away the meshes, it's the same with Tree Pro. Coldrake

DigitalDream#3 ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 8:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.zenstar.com

Usually when you purchase a product it is yours. It's these sneaky legal eagles that put that into the license agreement. If I remember correctly, if something is changed so much as to be unreconizable, then it is an original. Images, meshes, etc.Too bad, I thought it was a nice product, but I can't agree with their heavy-handed policy.Oh well, someone else must need the money, time to start looking.BTW, check out Tree Druid from Zenstar, excellent product! I use the plugin version for Carrara, but I am almost sure they ahve a stand alone version.Make sure to check out their legal statement. Way much more user freindly!

inyerface ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2001 at 9:21 PM

...but too bad for Mac users. (Druid, TreePro5)

eh3d ( ) posted Mon, 12 March 2001 at 2:50 AM

Inyerface, you made a mistake and you did apologize. OK! Just let me say something: If you are a lisenced TreePro user, it's in your own interest (and in mine as well!) when you stop distributing tree models made with OnyxTreePro. Imagine what happens to such a small company like Onyx Computing if we flood the 3D community with their tree models: NOONE would ever buy the software, Onyx would have to stop development, we would never see a new update, Onyx Computing would give up and die. It seems like some of you do not understand the restrictions in the Lisence Agreement and the high price of this wonderful software. Well, the product was not designed to serve the 3D Hobbiests. We, for example, use it to do trees in Presentations of 10Million Dollar Building/Environment projects where we need the highest quality 2D/3D trees/bushes we can get. OnyxTreePro was and still is an investment that we can't live without and as far as I know there is no other product that does such realistic (almost perfect) trees! There are some great, inexpensive tree/plant generators available where you can make your own trees with. You don't HAVE to buy TreePro so please do not complain about it. EH

DigitalArtist ( ) posted Mon, 12 March 2001 at 12:08 PM

Inyerface. I'm not sidin' with anyone here. But with Poser figures, they CAN distribute the PZ3. just not the OBJ mesh it came from. Eh3d makes a very valid point too..kudos to you eh3d! I agree with the EULA (I didn't before I read coldrake's response at 3DCommune, partially because I misunderstood. I was thinking along the lines of "You can export to any other program" ) - because, when you buy a program - you use it to your own benefit, not to benefit others. Best Regards, Matt

toolman ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2001 at 4:46 AM

From what I remember of Onyx tree pro, aren't the tree parameters for each tree stored in a small file with an extension of *.tre and not a mesh, yes you can export to a mesh if you want, but you can also save the trees "Parameters"... I don't know if this would infringe upon copyright, but say you come up with a wizz bang tree, would it be possible to share this file (wizzbang.tre) with other users, as the file on its own is useless, it takes TreePro to translate the data from this file into the mesh. Kinda like a PZ3 file.. This would get around inyerface's wanting to share files with other Onxy users. Just my thoughts. Cheers Matty.. aka ToolMan :)

eh3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2001 at 6:42 AM

Yes that's right, toolman. Since the *.tre file does not contain the geometry it could be traded with other OnyxTree or OnyxTreePro users. Without one of the above software the *.tre file is useless. I remember having this discussion before. It's a bit more than a year ago when the owner of 3dforest.com was prosecuted because he sold CD's full with converted and ready textured trees he made with TreePro. I don't know if he knew that this was illegal or not but I know in front of the judge it does not count as an argument. I really wish Onyx would lower the price for their software so every one of you could afford it and benefit from the possibility to complete your Bryce Landscapes with realistic vegetation. EH

coldrake ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2001 at 12:12 PM

eh3d, unfortunatly the tre. files are also illegal to share, but this is something I am discussing with Onyx. Coldrake

eh3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2001 at 12:51 PM

coldrake I diged out the User's Manual PDF because I could not belive that the parameters are not transferable and ... you are right. Sorry, for giving wrong information here. I always knew that I'm not allowed to give away the models but ... parameters? I accepted the License agreement and I respect it but this does not make much sense to me. Does it make sense to you, coldrake? EH somehow confused

eh3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2001 at 1:42 PM

OK now, let's imagine a possible situation: (assume that this is no internal business) - Company A in Tokyo - Company B in NewYork - Both companies own a TreePro License each. - Both companies work on the same project - A needs tree from B to continue the project - B is NOT allowed (by EULA) to send the file (*.tre) Someone please tell me how to handle this. Possible(?) workarounds: - B makes image renderings and send it to A and A tries to come up with a as close as possible shape. LMAO - B writes all values of the params down and send it by mail and A only needs to set the values as B wrote them. EH generates some Cocopalms lay down in their shadow and orders a bottle of tequilla

bloodsong ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2001 at 12:56 PM

heyas; inyer, can you post a list of the names of the files you had to take down? i nabbed a bunch of trees recently, and want to know which ones i should delete. :) thanks!

inyerface ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2001 at 1:09 PM

http://inyerface.123banners.net/dl1.html http://inyerface.123banners.net/dlmaps.html

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.