Sun, Sep 22, 1:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Considering Buying Vue and Lightwave Bundle

GrantH ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 11:45 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:18 PM

Hi, I may be going overboard with buying 3D aps. Started with Carrara (now own pro 5 and Hexagon), then bought Cinema 4D 9.5 studio which i love and is now my main ap (i also got Silo, a great little modeler). I am interested in upgrading from Vue 4 to Vue 5 infinite, and I notice there is a bundled version of infinite 5 with lightwave 8. For $200 bucks more, I can get the full version of both. But still, $799 is a lot of money especially since I've already dropped a bundle on 3D aps. Each one has it's good points and bad points so I pick the one that gets me where I one want to get the fastest with the least amount of work for any given project. Forgive me if this question has already been asked a million times, but do any of you Vue folks have experience with Cinema 4D? Would your care to offer an unbiased comparison of Lightwave and Cinema 4D or comment how well Vue Infinite inetgrates with either or both packages? Thanks! g.

Elminster_ZK ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 1:27 PM

Well since you already have C4D AND Carrara AND Silo AND Hexagon, it seems to me lightwave would be pretty superfluous for you. I say just go with Vue Inf.

"Walk down the right back alley in Sin City, and you can find anything."

krimpr ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 2:25 PM

My advice if you are buying VueI anyway is to buy the bundle and sell LW to help pay for your purchase. There have been alot of people on various Vue forums who already had Infinite before the bundle was offered who would, I'm sure, be interested in getting a good deal on your copy of Lightwave. It pains me to suggest that you sell it as I think that Lightwave is the greatest thing since the invention of the printing press but you already have enough to keep you learning for the next, uh, century. I agree with Elminster, you've got alot on your plate there. Saying you're going overboard is an understatement IMO.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 2:51 PM

The bundle VI needs your LW serial number. You could perhaps buy the bundle and swap both parts for a solo VI licence, assuming the EULA allows it.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 02 December 2005 at 10:14 PM

I have found that trying to learn too many 3D apps at once leads to massive headaches and a lot of head banging. If you are happy with C4D, most likely you won't like Lightwave - they are soooo different from each other. You should try the demo 1st before dropping over $800. On the other hand, I have Vue 5I and C4d and do on occasion lust after Lightwave - there is a tutorial on how to build the spaceship Serenity over at www.lwg3d.org that makes me wish I had Lightwave. Also, there is hopefully eventually going to be a way to get Vue and C4D to work together with a plug-in called xFusion. It will be available first for 3dsMax and Maya, then C4D sometime next year. This was announced at Siggraph, but no news since then. Anyway, if you do get the bundle and want to get rid of Lightwave, let me know!

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

dueyftw ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2005 at 12:18 AM

Funny; I would keep Lightwave and sell Vue. Lightwave doen't have oom's like Vue Dale

ysvry ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2005 at 2:36 AM

i would get blender and bug the developpers for new features seen in other 3d apps. when i tried lightwave 10 yearsago i liked max better so if you wanna splash money go for max.

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

megalodon ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2005 at 6:48 PM

"when i tried lightwave 10 yearsago i liked max better so if you wanna splash money go for max"

Now THAT's funny. Tried LW 10 years ago.... that was version 5.0. We're now up to 8.5 with 9 only weeks away. I'd say regarding 3D apps, get the demo's and see what you like. And let's see.... Lightwave new is $795; Max new is $3500. Hhmmm.... which one to buy... :)

Personally, the deal is outstanding. You figure you're getting two very good apps for less than $800US - that's incredible.

Megalodon

phenom01 ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2005 at 6:52 PM

With the software you have now, I don't see what you gain with Vue + whichever. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy hardware or books.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.