Thu, Sep 19, 6:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Vue xStream

LeFrog ( ) posted Fri, 16 December 2005 at 4:31 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 7:54 AM

Hello to all. Just an announcement. Vue xStream is now available for pre-orders. Basically it integrates Vue into Max and Maya. http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_5_xStream/ Cheers

DMM ( ) posted Fri, 16 December 2005 at 5:14 PM

Q: "Can I use a single xStream license for network rendering?" A: "You need to purchase a separate license for each render node." Ouch :D as good as it looks, this is going to pinch a bit. Won't bother me, I mostly use one machine anyway, but I know that plenty of people have small render farm type setups. I have a small render farm myself, 4 machines at maximum, but I hardly ever actually make use of it as a farm. Vue5I has a built in capability for 5 nodes, I guess they decided to remove this small leeway.

iloco ( ) posted Fri, 16 December 2005 at 6:10 PM

DMM, Are you saying we can now no longer use the 5 cows that came with Vue Infinite. If that be the case I see a lot of unhappy campers. :)

ïÏøçö

DMM ( ) posted Fri, 16 December 2005 at 6:23 PM

Well, that's what it looks like. It may be a miscommunication though, after all xStream is a standalone plugin, but acts differently if you have a full V5I license. Maybe another of those differences is the number of free nodes available. On the other hand, it may be in sympathy with the rendernode license details of the applications so far supported I.E. Maya and 3DS Max. As I only have Lightwave (which has an unlimited rendernode license agreement) I don't know.

DMM ( ) posted Fri, 16 December 2005 at 6:27 PM

BTW, I don't wish to detract from the product's release news, any news is good news on this front :) It certainly looks like every multi-app 3D artist's dream, it certainly will be mine if & when the LW version is released. The price is a little steep, but not insurmountable.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Fri, 16 December 2005 at 7:50 PM

Attached Link: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_5_xStream/?page=3

Here's what they say if you were using (i.e Lightwave) to network render your scenes (in Lightwave)... "Can I use xStream without a Vue 5 Infinite license? Yes. You can load any Vue scene into Max/Maya. However, you will not be able to edit the Vue environment with the xStream interface." So- that seems to say that if you want to do network rendering- you would be better off doing it in the 3D HOST Application (MAX, Lightwave, etc.) if you have a license for multiple render nodes. ---Just load your Vue scene and render away...

purplecloud ( ) posted Sat, 17 December 2005 at 2:49 AM

I disagree. This is not every multi app 3d artist dream at all. Why use high end 3d apps with wanna be 3d apps?

Cheers ( ) posted Sat, 17 December 2005 at 4:58 AM

"So- that seems to say that if you want to do network rendering- you would be better off doing it in the 3D HOST Application (MAX, Lightwave, etc.) if you have a license for multiple render nodes. ---Just load your Vue scene and render away..." I'm not so sure, because it also says that it uses the Vue renderer to render the Vue elements within the scene. If a license is needed for every render node, then it is overpriced and because it would be so obviously overpriced I am sure there is some miscommunication. ------------------------------------------------------- "I disagree. This is not every multi app 3d artist dream at all. Why use high end 3d apps with wanna be 3d apps?" Never worked within a Studio enviroment then Purplecloud? Know anything about pipelines? If a studio or artist can see a gap in their pipeline that xStream can fill, then they will use it. Ever tried to create a landscape vista within Maya? - I have, it can be a pain and takes a great deal of effort. Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

DMM ( ) posted Sat, 17 December 2005 at 10:26 AM

"I disagree. This is not every multi app 3d artist dream at all. Why use high end 3d apps with wanna be 3d apps?" And just how does a wanna-be 3D app become a high-end 3D app? By improvement and application evolution. Hehe, sounds like Purplecloud has some axe to grind :D Myself, I will wait & see how well it works before judging it.

LeFrog ( ) posted Sat, 17 December 2005 at 10:44 AM · edited Sat, 17 December 2005 at 10:48 AM

First off, Vue never claimed to be a high end 3D app, it is mostly a terrain or scene program. However it is starting to have great things added like GI, HDR support, etc. But it still is not a high end 3D app so it should not be compared to those. As far as xStream goes well try and create clouds, landscape, foliage, trees and then try to animate it in your 3D app. It is very time consuming, this product is by far much faster and not to mention you can finally have great skies in Maya. You cant judge until you try it for your self! *Ps. i don't work at e-on, i am simply a beta tester.

Message edited on: 12/17/2005 10:48

Meddo ( ) posted Sat, 17 December 2005 at 7:41 PM · edited Sat, 17 December 2005 at 7:47 PM

Attached Link: http://www.meddo3d.com/xStream/xStream.html

I agree with Lefrog you got to try-it.This is and gone a be a great add-on to achieved yout 3D works. If a product could help you saving time in a 3D project, well its great.Everything you do in VUE5I are transfert to MAX, Animation, Wind, Light, Camera, Etc..

Here's some test shots (Only Test), I did with xStream and MAX during beta test.The Poser6 character was transfert to MAX with BodyStudio

Meddo

Message edited on: 12/17/2005 19:47

megalodon ( ) posted Sat, 17 December 2005 at 11:50 PM

I'm one of those waiting for the LW version of xStream - hopefully it will not be too far into 2006!

Also hoping that you really don't need to buy a full version of xStream for every machine you would like in your network to render. A better idea would be the Vue5I rendercow system - though I would prefer it just work with my network renderer Butterfly NetRender rather than it's own network rendering system! Then again... we'll have to wait and see how it actually will work. I'm excited! :)

Megalodon

Breed47 ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 2:13 PM

file_312406.jpg

I baught xStream today! Yiiiiihaaaa!!! Eh....it wont work...After installing the licens server, checking it and so on, I started my host app, 3ds max, and got tis message:

Breed47 ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 2:14 PM

file_312407.jpg

After pressing OK I get this:

Breed47 ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 2:14 PM

file_312408.jpg

And tis is how the license looks like:

Breed47 ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 2:16 PM

As you can see I DO have a license. What is going on? Any ideas? Need help. I have a torch up my ass at work :-)

nanotyrannus ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 3:14 PM

If you haven't already I'd immediately log this with eon tech support.

Breed47 ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, I did some hours ago. Unfortunally Im too eager to get this thing working. I hope theyll come up with av really good explanation on this. This is a floating license. I wonder if I have to install it on an external computer. Right now I have it on my own workstation. The documentation sucks. It should be very easy to install, but its not.

nanotyrannus ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 4:28 PM

I can totally relate, right now I'm on hold for buying until I hear that it's actually working for people, but I can't wait to get ecosystems into Max!

Meddo ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 4:33 PM

Hi, The only thing I found on The Beta Test forum his the definition of license type. So, I buy the Floating license Today but did not get it yet. As a Beta tester the only license I test was node-locked on several PC (Farm). Maybe other guys have test-it. Anyway I'll post the link in the Beta forum.
License Type Definition.
node-locked means the license is locked to your computer.

floating means the license is locked to a computer acting as a license server, this server will be contacted by the plugin to retrieve a license. So you can have multiple computers with xStream plugins installed while only one at the same time can use xStream.

Meddo

Cheers ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 4:38 PM

If you have a floating license...has it been started in Window's as a Sevice? "Right click "My Computer" > Mangage > Services. Cheers

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

Breed47 ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 5:11 PM

No, not what I can see. Theres ALOT of services runing, but no Vue or xStream or License server. At the bottom right of the desktop theres an icon displaying e-on licenseSever. I guess thats not enough? What to do?

Cheers ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 7:03 PM

I'm afraid that is as far as I can advise you :( My experience is only with FlexLM and CDilla licensing servers. Usually this type of licensing is installed seperatly or as an option within the main application install. Cheers

YouTube Channel

LeFrog ( ) posted Tue, 20 December 2005 at 9:12 PM

Well i have also been a beta tester for xStream. I have not encountered this problem so unfortunately i cannot say exactly what causes the error. However i may get in contact with e-on for you if you would like? PS- Documentation is not yet fully released as xStream is currently a pre-release. Full documentation should be included when xStream is fully released.

Breed47 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 12:45 AM

Oh great LeFrog! Would you do that? Thankyou very much!

Breed47 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 1:41 AM

Hey guys! I got it working!!! Just had to tell it the RIGHT servername. The name on my computer. And the right port name. I have to admit, Im not an expert on these things :-D. Im just a user. Cool! Its awesome! Pity it uses Mental Ray...

LeFrog ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2005 at 8:30 PM · edited Wed, 21 December 2005 at 8:32 PM

Well it depends on what software you use it with. I have used it with Maya so i do not know about the max version. But Maya you can use either Mental Ray or the Maya Software Render. All of which is dependent on what version you purchase. But i do prefer Mental Ray. Glad you got it working and hope you enjoy it :)

Message edited on: 12/21/2005 20:32

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.