Fri, Sep 20, 4:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Light in a glass ball

shadu ( ) posted Tue, 27 December 2005 at 11:58 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:23 AM

I want to make a fantasy setting where ball of glass make the light in some dark corridor. Or i have a lot of difficulty to do that. I create a ball of glass material and put a light in it. But the light do not go beyong the ball and my room is still dark... How can i arrange that? I am still new in vue. Shadu

jc ( ) posted Tue, 27 December 2005 at 2:38 PM · edited Tue, 27 December 2005 at 2:39 PM

Always good to mention which version of Vue you use - they have different capabilities.

In Vue 5 Infinite I had no problem using a point source light inside a sphere that had any of the default glass materials or any i had purchased. Here is an image using a standard Vue primitive sphere, with a colored glass material and 1 point source light in the center.

LiteInGlass1-400.jpg

Is your "Light and Shadows" control set to have the light illuminate the objects you want?
You can have every scene object lighted or not per light source with that control.
Did you make your own sphere or use a Vue primitive? If your own, maybe it is not UV mapped?

Not sure what your problem is. Maybe you can supply more details and a pix?
Also, which type of lighting i used made no difference they all worked.

_jc
Art Head Start.com
Art training e-book for digital artists and students

Message edited on: 12/27/2005 14:39

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 27 December 2005 at 5:42 PM

Jc, the light & shadow control set you mention is only available in 5 Pro Studio & 5 Infinite. Indeed, would be good to know what version you are using, shadu.

hein ( ) posted Tue, 27 December 2005 at 10:26 PM

Vue 5 d'E only has the light/shadow controlset when you have LightTune installed. But the most obvious way is to turn up the power of the light, it could be the light is positioned a little too far away or that the material you chose is not as transparent as you thought.

jc ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 12:17 PM

Don't know if Vue 5 d'E has a control for the "Index of Refraction" of materials, but that can also have an influence on how much light is transmitted into/out of the glass Vs how much is reflected back inside/outside. Air has an Index Refraction of 1.0 (by definition) and setting a material to 1.0 will make a transparent material dissapear "into thin air".

shadu ( ) posted Wed, 28 December 2005 at 2:53 PM

Thanks I didn't find exactly where the problem was. I thing it come form the size of the light source. Part of it is in the wall and make less light like this. I made a pillar with a crystal ball and it work perfectly. Shadu

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.