Sat, Sep 21, 9:57 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Images opening in a new window?

TonyYeboah ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 5:15 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:49 AM

Why?!? It's annoying.

TonyYeboah ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 5:36 PM

Grrrrrrr...i've only been here 15 minutes and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 12:56 AM

Fractals will always amaze me!

abmlober ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 3:47 AM

Every browser gives the opportunity to have extra windows (IE: Shift+Click, Firefox: Ctrl+Click), so why this automatism? And the self-closing function is ugly too...

:rolleyes::sad:
Joy of Frax

mdessureault ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 4:55 AM

I prefer this new feature. I am a fan of (to use some HTML feature) target="_blank". The machine does it for me. I don't have to think about doing it myself. Once seen, you close. You can ask for many pictures at the same time and not one by one. 3DCommune has it from the beginning.

CavalierLady ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 6:16 AM

I love the new feature! I almost always right clicked on an image to open in a new window and now Renderosity does it for me. And the close on click is a neat feature I had never seen before! So everything works faster and smoother for me... kudos to the programmers and I hope you'll leave it!!

CarolSassy ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 6:41 AM

I like it well enough. The only thing is that if there is a new post in the gallery while you are looking at the image in the new window, the gallery has to be refreshed. No big deal to most people, only to those of us who still own real old, slow computers. lol q-:

Carol aka Sassy
If you can't stand the heat,
Don't tickle the dragon!

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 7:17 AM

oh i really like that double function in the window where the artwork is displayed click on 'close window' and it closes the window click on the artwork and it closes the window hit ctrl w and it closes the window so it is getting pretty advanced this new development of this webcommunity, i wonder what happened to the 'back to thumbnails' feature Oh and we all have to think about those people who still suffers from having a dial-up operation lol

Rykk ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 7:48 AM

I was kinda bothered by the "open in new window" thing at first. Mostly because it was different and you know how some of us - like me! - don't like things to change. I reckon I'm getting old(er!) lol Initially, I thought my rig was acting up. After a bit, though, I realised that it actually saved a BUNCH of time when cruising the gallery that was wasted - by me anyhow - having to hit "back" a bunch of times after leaving a comment and maybe voting and sometimes editing my comment. It typically took me 2-4 clicks to get back to the gallery page and the wait was most of the time really long waiting for by browser to re-contact and load the gallery page. So, maybe not so bad after all? Rick

CarolSassy ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 7:57 AM

You're e a s y Rick! ROFLMAO! q-:

Carol aka Sassy
Don't tickle the dragon!

abmlober ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 9:08 AM

Hi Rick, never tried out Shift+Click in IE or Ctrl+Click in Firefox?

:rolleyes::sad:
Joy of Frax

TonyYeboah ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 11:49 AM

Ok, clicking on the image to close the window is a very slight improvement. What really irritates me is that I have to double click the title bar of EVERY window to max it out so I can see the images properly! Unless there is a way to set IE so that all new windows start maxed out? That and the fact that the 'back' button on millions of mice around the world has been rendered almost totally obsolete. They go to all that trouble to incorporate a back button into a mouse and web designers decide that they don't want people to use it?!? The old way... 1 click on the thumb. 1 click on submit button (if leaving a comment). 2 clicks of the back button (on the mouse) to go back to gallery. Total 4 clicks. The new way... 1 click on thumbnail. 2 clicks to max out the window. 1 click on the submit button (if leaving comment). 1 click to go back to gallery. Total 5 clicks. Someone please explain how 5 clicks is better/easier than 4?

missie_mandelbrot ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 12:01 PM

It's working for me and everything is much quicker, simpler and easier. No problems and no complaints. Using the back button on the mouse takes took too long. This new way is instant. Congratulations on solving our problems. Many thanks Heather

Rykk ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 12:25 PM

Andreas - no, I never tried those methods. I'm too lazy to lean forward and, ugh!, move my left arm and fingers to reach for the keys - lol. This endless sitting in front of a pc making fractals is worse than being a couch potato - lol. Tony - yeah, maybe more clicks. Though, I just click the "Maximize" button ONCE to make the window full-screen. What I was mostly alluding to was the fact that, 90% of the time, when you hit back there was a LONG wait for the browser to call the url of the gallery page back and then reload the page. This new way is a lot faster because you don't have to wait for the, many times interminably long, wait for Rendo to reload when you hit Back. But hey, whaddaya want fer nuthin'? - ya can't beat the price of admission around here! Rick

kansas ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 12:46 PM

I didn't even know that clicking on the image would bring up a new window as I always open up the large image in a new window by rt.clicking and selecting 'open in new window'. The close window does not work for me. We don't really need this feature. What is the matter with just clicking the X at the top?

DigiArts ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 1:47 PM

I like the new feature. No wait- pops right up..and no waiting to go back to the thumbs. In fact, as a Windows user, I think it's terrific!

TonyYeboah ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 1:54 PM

Rick, true I could get the same amount of clicks by hitting the maximise button but it's easier and faster to double click the bar. There's a bigger area to aim for on the bar which means you dont have to be so precise. Trying to click the maximise button can add up to 1 second (upto 10 seconds if i've partaken of some alcohol) to the amount of time it takes. If you view 60 images then you've wasted 1 minute (upto 10 minutes inebriated!) just trying to get a mouse pointer onto a button. Instead of bollocks-ing up the way people surf. Shouldn't Renderosity either get better servers, software, programmers or whatever? If the only way they can make this site faster for everyone is to resort to this, then in my eyes they have failed miserably as a web-site. We may not pay 'cash' to use this site but we ALL pay. Whether it's the business that happened with the merchants or the abolishment of 3 uploads per day or the images opening in a new window. We ARE paying. If this was a pay site then everyone could vote with their wallets and not give their money to Renderosity but because it isn't a pay site everyone thinks we just have to take it up the arse quietly and thank them for it afterwards! Just because I don't pay to use this web-site that doesn't mean I don't expect a certain level of professionalism from them. Like saying when major changes to the web-site are going to be made! A response from an administrator when changes are made and people complain about them! In other words...Common fucking courtesy! Despite what i've said in the past about DA, it is looking more and more appealing every day...

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 2:31 PM

it's a brilly progress this whole clicking thing, as a Macuser i really enjoy this new feature and it surely is very user-friendly smile

Rykk ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 6:20 PM · edited Thu, 26 January 2006 at 6:30 PM

Tony-
"Trying to click the maximise button can add up to 1 second (upto 10 seconds if i've partaken of some alcohol) to the amount of time it takes. If you view 60 images then you've wasted 1 minute (upto 10 minutes inebriated!) just trying to get a mouse pointer onto a button."

Holey smokes! I never looked at it THAT way. One can extrapolate this algoritm in even further and need I say, more disturbing, orbit directions:

Ergo and to-wit:
Assuming the adequate number of iterations to properly trap the cylindrical orbit of but ONE 16oz/pixel Mandel-Bud is around 7.5e11 - (2.5e9Gb/s x 60sec[iterations])x 5 [minutes to Bailout] - then it's not hard for me to see that this could cause beer to be left on the "Inside" of the cylindrical array (sorta like that black spot in the middle of too low iterated Julia spirals but not - yikes!) as all this clicking will cause my standard.ufm beer trap to Bailout early due to an inadequate number of iterations increasing the time to render fully a 12 pack to values unconducive to going to work the next day. Therefore, I'd have to curtail the expected number of cylindrical beer orbits I could consume in a feasable time by something on the order of one complete cylindrical orbit every 25 minutes because I just don't have that much sick-leave saved up. Whoa......that's HEAVY..... Hey, thanks, man, for saving me from making a BIG, and overly optimistic mistake in my forecast number of cylindrical Mandel-Bud orbits 2 nite! :-)

(Don't ask me! - I just type what the voices tell me to....lol)

Rick

Message edited on: 01/26/2006 18:22 Edited for typos - lol

Message edited on: 01/26/2006 18:30

CarolSassy ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 6:34 PM

I'll drink to that Rick! lol q-:

Carol aka Sassy
Don't tickle the dragon!

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 12:41 AM · edited Fri, 27 January 2006 at 12:55 AM

LOL i overreacted!!!

AFTER ya placed a comment on a design, the feature 'close window' and 'click picture to close window' doesn't work anymore in Safari In Netscape it still does work. I aint gonna try IE since M$ hasn't upgraded that browser for the Mac since 2003, and it had already flaws in it when using OS 10.3, so i am not even gonna try it on Tiger Hope them programmers with solve this problem with the Safari browser soon Good day Harmen

Message edited on: 01/27/2006 00:55

tutri ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 3:41 AM

All this yadda yadda over a slight change in browsing the galleries...what the...? Get some fresh air and calm the hell down. I think it's pretty cool to be able to close the image window just by clicking anywhere on the picture, makes it faster and easier to navigate the galleries. Should make it more convenient for dial-up users also, trust me I've been there.

nickcharles ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 9:08 AM · edited Fri, 27 January 2006 at 9:10 AM

I think it is definitely improving site speed :D
I like it :D

Sorry, Tony, I agree that an anouncement should've been made (just getting over a flu bug, and sooooo behind).

Nick

Message edited on: 01/27/2006 09:10

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
......................................................................................................
"For every breath, for every day of living, this is my Thanksgiving."
-Don Henley

kchildress ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 9:50 AM

Why not make the change configurable so users can select how they want to browse the images? If it can be programmed to open a new window, it can be programmed to behave according to options. That gives people the most flexibility. BTW, I find the new feature most annoying. At least it doesn't resize my browser window. Ken...

Rykk ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 10:31 AM

tutri said: "I think it's pretty cool to be able to close the image window just by clicking anywhere on the picture, makes it faster and easier to navigate the galleries. Should make it more convenient for dial-up users also, trust me I've been there." Aha! So THAT'S what happened a few times last night! I thought it was a problem with the software or my browser...thanks! Rick

kansas ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 11:07 AM

Well, now that I have tried it, I like it. Don't change it!!! Seems like things work faster this way. With my slow dialup, I am pleased with this feature now that I've used it. Marion

TonyYeboah ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 1:26 PM

I'm actually happy with the changes that have been made now... 1st change - Deleted my gallery. 2nd change - Deleted all references to Renderosity off my computer. 3rd change - Opened up a Deviant Art account. 4th change - I be happy. I refuse to be a part of a dictatorship.

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 2:02 PM

lol aren't ya all happy now? A one-day-fly doesn't last longer than a day either, despite the efforts some of the true members has given this 'Tony' he vanishes to another community, where they aren't so tollerant as here. Well good luck to you 'Tony' [resool]

CarolSassy ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 5:56 PM

My heart is bleeding purple peanut butter. Yeah, I'm being sarcastic. lol q-:

Carol aka Sassy
Don't tickle the dragon!

undisclosed-designer ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 11:36 PM

file_321308.jpg

*sniffs*

SimonKane ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 12:41 AM · edited Sat, 28 January 2006 at 12:48 AM

Personally, I find it very irritating, but not as annoying as the fact that people now need to have an account here to see the fractal gallery. I used to send people that expressed an interest two links: one to my gallery (which, thankfully, you still don't need a password for) and one to the fractal gallery so they could get a sense of what other people do. Now they can only see mine unless they sign up for an account. Doesn't do much promote the art form, does it?

Message edited on: 01/28/2006 00:48

tutri ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 1:47 AM

But it keeps the trolls at bay quite effectively. Signing up takes about two minutes, shouldn't be too much of a nuisance. And I dare say that if someone really is interested in the images found at Rosity, he or she will sign up.

SimonKane ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 9:42 AM

How can someone know whether they're interested in the images at Renderosity if they're not even allowed to view the thumbnail galleries? I'm not talking about allowing non-members to comment. I don't understand what the point is of forcing people with only a casual or temporary interest to go through a sign-up process for something they're not that involved in currently. The whole point, presumably, of putting our stuff on the site is so that people can look at it. Renderosity has been making it harder and harder over the years for non-digital-artists to casually drop in for a browse.

Lots of people don't like signing up for stuff on the internet because of the potential to be sent loads of spam (me included). The first thought when I'm asked to sign-up is 'Why? What are they going to do with my details?'.

If you think I'm being unnecessarily grouchy, consider this: about four years ago I suggested to a publisher that they pop over here to look see whether anything might be suitable for their book covers (I knew my stuff wasn't, but thought that other people's might be). I only had to send them a short link. If I wanted to do the same thing now, I'd either have to send them links directly to the galleries of those people I think might be appropriate, or tell them they had to sign up. There's no way they'd sign up, trust me, and I bet that after following a couple of links and being asked for passwords they'd leave. Who benefits from this?

Much as I like you guys, I don't want you to be the only ones that can look at my stuff. When I joined this place, it was an easy alternative to setting up my own website, but it's becoming less and less of an alternative, and more and more a source of irritation.

Anyway, time for Oscar to get back in the trash can. :-)

tutri ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 10:29 AM

I see your point. Any amount of fuss is fuss anyways, so luring casual bypassers here can be more difficult. However, if someone really does want to come and see the galleries but is afraid of spam, why give your real email address, name or other actual info when signing up? It's relatively painless to set up a 'fake' email account at hotmail or other such service for this purpose. Also, I don't know about your experiences with Rosity and spam, but to this day I've received zero spam messages to the mail address I wrote on the sign-up sheet. Well, so much for that. Have a great weekend everyone, see you on the gallery!

Rykk ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 1:33 PM

Here's my take on the "why" of that stuff, Simon: If everyone who wants to look at the galleries has to be a "member", maybe that looks a lot better to the major stockholders or board of directors at Bondware and to whatever financial (certainly not the majority of the "membership") backers they have. Maybe that's how this site stays up when I can't figure out how they make any significant $$ for the service they provide us. I do agree with you about the hassle factor in having to sign up, though, and don't like it either. But as I always say by quoting the venerable Elwood Bloooze - "whaddaya want fer nuthin'? :-) Rick

Timbuk2 ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 2:47 PM

I totally agree with Simon. What does it hurt to allow people who have not divulged something of themselves - valid or not - access to viewing the galleries? The benefit in doing so is getting digital art in front of more people. That seems to me a good thing. I know I have held back many times from going further at some site or another because they want me to 'sign up' or 'register.' Sure, here at Rendo they don't spam you but that's not true for other sites. What do the major stockholders or the board of directors gain from a lot of registrations, many of them bogus? Can't the number of people viewing the site be kept tract of without registration? Maybe there is a good reason behind it. It would be interesting to hear from Rendo management the logic behind this particular change.

Rykk ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 4:35 PM

Don't get me wrong, guys - I agree with y'all. It's the giving out of your e-mail address that most bothers me most at sites that do that. I was just saying that maybe it makes the "numbers" look better for whatever quarterly reports they have to present to "justify their existence". I saw padding of numbers and accounting games all the time at the last company I worked at. Probably why they ended up closing up shop. Of course AFTER the Chairman sold pretty much every share he had to the tune of a cool 3/4 of a billion bux...

Timbuk2 ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 8:35 PM

And after he sold his shares the rest of the investors got stuffed. Sounds like tar and feathers would be good for that chairman.

fractalchemist ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 2:20 PM

Yes: the popup windows improve my speed of viewing. No: I do not like that people need an account to view the thumbnail galleries. My two cents on this Sunday night. Eveline

Richardphotos ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2006 at 9:41 AM

I like the new system. but it is hard to get use not being able to drag the window with the mouse. I have closed several posts by accident

Richardphotos ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2006 at 9:44 AM

they changed the policy of logging in to view galleries to make the site quicker for members. excellent idea to avoid long waits for pages to load

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.